AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2841 - 2860 of 4841 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I asked that two days ago and he has not responded.

Amir, if you are not aware of reasons or as to what happened with the audio, please just say so. That is a better answer than no answer at all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Hi Amir,

(Maybe this got missed first time round)

According to a Major retailer here in the UK we are set to get a load of the Studio Canal titles on the 26th of this month (Cover art is rather nice), do you know if the audio speedup issue will be fixed for these?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
xploited cinema just reported that those titles are now indefinitely delayed.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hi Darin,

AACS charges a $3,000 to $10,000 initial contract administration fee ... with the cost for each studio being determined by certain factors I can't recall offhand.

I paid $3,000 for the privilege of being tagged another $1,500 plus $200 for e-mail delivery = $1,700 for every check disc we make that does not work.

So, in the case or an early adopter release like CHRONOS, which took at least four (4) Check Discs to get right, AACS charged $1,700 x 4 = $6,800 for the "AACS Encyption Keys."

Add the $3,000 initial fee for the AACS Contract, and we got banged for almost $10,000 by AACS just to put out a Blu-Ray Disc. Nice.

We are forced to use AACS for BD but have the option with HD-DVD. You may notice that we do NOT use AACS on any of our HD-DVD releases nor do we plan to in the future.

Some people have asked me why the BD Version of CHRONOS cost more...this is one reason. If we could sell 10,000 to 20,000 units, these costs could be absorbed. However, we will be lucky if we sell maybe 25% of that number in year #1.

For some reason, the HD-DVD Version of CHRONOS is outselling the BD Version 2 to 1. This could be temporary as the HD-DVD has been out longer.

This is probably more information than you asked probably care to know, but I cannot help myself once I get rolling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0

paidgeek,

Can you please comment on this from http://www.hdtvuk.tv/:

Do you know if the fees referred to here include AACS fees? Also, is that $3000 per release, per company, something else?

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
325 Posts
To all Insiders:

Studiocanal just issued an interesting press release stating that their 2nd HD-DVD wave will now be released on May 21, and that the reason of the delay was to integrate a new version of AACS which is due in April.

Amir, if you're planning to respond, it would be great if you could answer both on BD and HD-DVD on equal ground, because this is a global issue, and because both the BD and HD-DVD versions of Canal's 1st day-and-date release (Prête-moi ta main) have been affected as well and have yet to receive a new release date.

- What do we have to expect from the new set of AACS? Does it require a firmware update of all the existing BD and HD-DVD players in order to read the new discs?

- Does anybody know if this is the reason that led Fox to delay some of their BD titles?

- Assuming that new software has to be installed in our player, will the existing discs continue to be played, even if some of our copies have keys that had been compromised?

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/0

I asked that two days ago and he has not responded.

Amir, if you are not aware of reasons or as to what happened with the audio, please just say so. That is a better answer than no answer at all.

Thanks.

I frankly have yet to get to the bottom of the complete answer. I have had probably dozens of communications on this and don't have definitive answers to give you across all the titles (this is complicated a bit given the larger set of post production houses involved).

If there is a partial answer, it is the fact that it seemed no one had tried to make 24p encodes in EU for optical discs. We thought it would be a walk in the park, using US masters but apparently not.

I can also tell you that I am putting extreme pressure on people to fix these things movig forward. But am having a hard time getting full confirmation of what is fixed and what is not. But I know the information is there now. As I learn more, I will reply.

BTW, I know this might be annoying but my preference is to only answer questions when I have something concrete to say. In the past, I just get beat up and get more arguments and hence not replying

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Richard,

Has R&B Films decided how they will use managed copies. Since AACS will not be used for HD DVD, how will this affect the use of managed copies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms /forum/post/0

Hi Darin,

AACS charges a $3,000 to $10,000 initial contract administration fee ... with the cost for each studio being determined by certain factors I can't recall offhand.

I paid $3,000 for the privilege of being tagged another $1,500 plus $200 for e-mail delivery = $1,700 for every check disc we make that does not work.

So, in the case or an early adopter release like CHRONOS, which took at least four (4) Check Discs to get right, AACS charged $1,700 x 4 = $6,800 for the "AACS Encyption Keys."

Add the $3,000 initial fee for the AACS Contract, and we got banged for almost $10,000 by AACS just to put out a Blu-Ray Disc. Nice.

We are forced to use AACS for BD but have the option with HD-DVD. You may notice that we do NOT use AACS on any of our HD-DVD releases nor do we plan to in the future.

Some people have asked me why the BD Version of CHRONOS cost more...this is one reason. If we could sell 10,000 to 20,000 units, these costs could be absorbed. However, we will be lucky if we sell maybe 25% of that number in year #1.

For some reason, the HD-DVD Version of CHRONOS is outselling the BD Version 2 to 1. This could be temporary as the HD-DVD has been out longer.

This is probably more information than you asked probably care to know, but I cannot help myself once I get rolling..

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumi /forum/post/0

To all Insiders:

Studiocanal just issued an interesting press release stating that their 2nd HD-DVD wave will now be released on May 21, and that the reason of the delay was to integrate a new version of AACS which is due in April.

Amir, if you're planning to respond, it would be great if you could answer both on BD and HD-DVD on equal ground, because this is a global issue, and because both the BD and HD-DVD versions of Canal's 1st day-and-date release (Prête-moi ta main) have been affected as well and have yet to receive a new release date.

- What do we have to expect from the new set of AACS? Does it require a firmware update of all the existing BD and HD-DVD players in order to read the new discs?

- Assuming that new software has to be installed in our player, will the existing discs continue to be played, even if some of our copies have keys that had been compromised?

I do have more information on this one but don't know if I can fully disclose it all. But I can address the one point above. If you are using PC software players (at least the ones I know about), then you would need a new player to play some content moving forward (and at some point, all new content). No other product is impacted so you are good to go with any BD/HD DVD player outside of PC software and don't need a firmware upgrade for them.

And yes, regardless you can continue to play the discs you own.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Amir, thanks very much for the reponse on the Studio Canal situation. I can understand your hesitating to comment when you are still waiting for confirmation of facts, etc, so I am grateful that you could share with us what you know so far.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Amirm, I know you can't or will not talk about the rumor of the Xbox 360 with HdMI output. I will say that you should use any pull you might have to get them to include a HD drive in the system when they come out with the upgrade with HDMI. Some rumors do not mention the inclusion of a HD drive and If there is no HD drive in the unit it could be the death of HDDVD. This is the time for Microsoft to show its true support for the format. Give us a small hint.

If Microsoft is woried about alienating the current owners it could offer a special upgrade price to current Xbox 360 owners. Or come out with a new lower priced HD add on drive with HDMI outputs. If one came out for under $100 with HDMI outputs I think it would really sell and would add to the Xbox and HD base. Watch the studios react if Microsoft would do this. I wonder how Andy would spin this?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Amir, a few weeks ago you indicated that the HD-DVD Mobile Experience was heading to Atlanta in April. Do you have any dates and locations you can share on this yet? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts

Quote:

So, in the case or an early adopter release like CHRONOS, which took at least four (4) Check Discs to get right, AACS charged $1,700 x 4 = $6,800 for the "AACS Encyption Keys." Add the $3,000 initial fee for the AACS Contract, and we got banged for almost $10,000 by AACS just to put out a Blu-Ray Disc. Nice.

Richard, thank you very much for this info.

It also explains why there was such a palbable feeling of animosity towards the AACS guys at the DVD Forum Conference in Barcelona back in November. It was only during the discussion about AACS when voices got raised and folks got a bit hot under the collar. I think someone said out loud that nobody in the room liked AACS.

I shall be placing an order for Chronos right away, and hope to see more titles from R&B Films in the future. (edit: actually placed an order for both versions.)

·
Registered
5,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/0

I do have more information on this one but don't know if I can fully disclose it all. But I can address the one point above. If you are using PC software players (at least the ones I know about), then you would need a new player to play some content moving forward (and at some point, all new content). No other product is impacted so you are good to go with any BD/HD DVD player outside of PC software and don't need a firmware upgrade for them.

And yes, regardless you can continue to play the discs you own.

Good news Amir, thank you. This is one of the strengths of AACS and I knew it would only be a matter of time, and perhaps this strength will give one or more of the BD exclusive studios incentive to start supporting HD DVD.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:

No, I really appreciate the amount of detail you provided. Thank you.

Now a followup question to Blu-ray insiders. I understand why the ROM-Mark (however it is spelled) may help combat professional piracy, but can somebody explain the requirement for AACS on Blu-ray? Is that to address professional piracy, other piracy, or something else I'm missing? Since (especially in the face of a format war) a good format can be modified if it makes the format better overall and is reasonable, is there any chance that the requirement for AACS will be reconsidered at any point here? From where I sit, that requirement for AACS on every release and the claims about replacing DVD within 3 years are contraditory, as you can't replace DVD without providing reasonable solutions for the small guys. If the Blu-ray group wants to achieve the latter I think they should reconsider the former. Any chance of that?

--Darin

·
Registered
9,884 Posts

Quote:

To all Insiders:

- Does anybody know if this is the reason that led Fox to delay some of their BD titles?

There has been speculation before that some releases of both formats were being held up pending AACS changes to improve the compromised copy protection. Can any insider confirm that April-May date for other studios also?

It would be nice to see more new releases.

- Tom

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 /forum/post/0

Amir, a few weeks ago you indicated that the HD-DVD Mobile Experience was heading to Atlanta in April. Do you have any dates and locations you can share on this yet? Thanks.

The truck is not going there but we are! I will need to create a thread about it in the HD DVD section. I think the date is second week of April.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/0

The truck is not going there but we are! I will need to create a thread about it in the HD DVD section. I think the date is second week of April.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for the thread.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:

To all Insiders:

I can answer from the AACS perspective.

In the near future you may see software players that need to be upgraded and/or patched before they will play new content. It will not be a change to all drives and/or players, but simply updates to specific players that may have an identified vulnerability.

AACS has not identified any vulnerabilities in software titles themselves (just specific players). If an update is required for your player, then once you perform the update you should never have any difficulty playing any released disc.

A clear overriding goal of AACS is to minimize any impact on legitimate consumers.

And, obviously, I can't comment on the motivations of any particular studio.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealEstateWagon /forum/post/0

I have yet to experience HD video from the Xbox Video Marketplace where I live, although I've heard nice things about it. Still, I wonder if Marketplace must use well-known codecs only or if you are able to experiment with newer iterations of WMV that go beyond VC-1?

It's straight up VC-1. We're able to be a little more efficient in how we use it compared to the optical disc formats (like longer GOPs, VBR WMA Pro for audio), but it's the same codec. With the right source and the right settings, anyone can make WMV look as good as the Xbox Live Markplace content.

2841 - 2860 of 4841 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.