Status
Not open for further replies.
2741 - 2760 of 4623 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
The answer is complicated because gaming and DVD/HD DVD requirements are impacted differently.
Right. I understand completely :) . So you're saying that there will be answer as to whether HD DVDs can be played on the 360 add-on using HDMI?

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH
Right. I understand completely :) . So you're saying that there will be answer as to whether HD DVDs can be played on the 360 add-on using HDMI?
No :). I meant the answer to whether you can do things like 24p over VGA.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
amir, when did microsoft start seriously planning the hd dvd addon?

were strategic purchasing/supply arrangements put in place well in advance to secure drives/blue lasers?

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover
question to insiders:

do you think we need a separate xbox 360/hd dvd addon insiders q&a thread? :D;)
I hope not as that would surely mean that I have to go and get a gaming handle :D.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover
amir, when did microsoft start seriously planning the hd dvd addon?

were strategic purchasing/supply arrangements put in place well in advance to secure drives/blue lasers?
Soon after we announced support for HD DVD as a format last year. And yes, securing the drive was the #1 criteria. This is why we announced the option at CES, rather than before....

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Quote:
No :). I meant the answer to whether you can do things like 24p over VGA.
LOL! I'm going to keep trying to get an answer as to whether there will be an answer so that we all can get an answer :D . So, Amir will there be answer from MS as to whether or not the 360 add-on will be able to play HD-DVDs over HDMI? How does that sound ;) .

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH
LOL! I'm going to keep trying to get an answer as to whether there will be an answer so that we all can get an answer :D . So, Amir will there be answer from MS as to whether or not the 360 add-on will be able to play HD-DVDs over HDMI? How does that sound ;) .
I'd like to know as well. Esecially for the audio and it not being crippled.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Amir,

When can we get the specs for the add on? I believe many people want answers to the how the advanced audio codecs will be handled but those questions tend to get skipped over.

Thanks,

Robert.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Amir,

I have one question (I signed up especially for that ;) ):

I have an US console but I'm located in Europe at the moment (and I took my box along). Can I just go to a shop here, purchase an european HDDVD AddOn and hook it up to my US X360?

Or do I have to wait until I get back to the states (can take some time) due to some restrictions (HW or SW wise) that prevent operation of an european AddOn with my Xbox?

Thanks

DocX

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Quote:
No it will not. As you know, the current US standard for digital TV is MPEG-2 so the system simply records that stream unchanged.
When MPEG4 is introduced, will it record that too unchanged?

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH
So, Amir will there be answer from MS as to whether or not the 360 add-on will be able to play HD-DVDs over HDMI? How does that sound ;) .
Answer is simple: NO. There is no HDMI option. Only output options are VGA/Component.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
OK, since I have used up my budget of "no comments" :), I guess I have to answer this one. The drive is built by TSST which is the joint Samsung/Toshiba optical manufacturing plant (same place that also makes BD drives :)). For a sense of its performance, you can look at Toshiba laptops. The drive is more performant and has better characteristics than the NEC drive used in Toshiba 1G players.

No, there is no AACS hold up. Niveous ( http://www.niveus.com/ ) announced an HD DVD media center PC at CEDIA (actually two models).

I don't keep up with their schedules Chris. But I know they are working hard to get it done :).
Thanks!

Chris

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Answer is simple: NO. There is no HDMI option. Only output options are VGA/Component.
Thanks!

Will there be 5.1 or 7.1 analog output option available then?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Amir,

It is great somebody finally admitted there is no HDMI option. I would, however, like to phrase it a bit different and ask a similar question: Is the 360 hardware capable (out of the box) of supporting HDMI at all, forgetting all manner of potential dongles with built in Analog-to-Digital converters and HDCP chips?

Thanks so much for the great info thus far Amir!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Amirm, you seem to be dancing around the question of whether the XBox addon drive could be connected to a PC. I guess you guys don't want this to happen due to subsidising the cost? Stand alone PC drives seem to be a whole lot more expensive than the addon.

Specifically:

1. can the addon be plugged into a PC via USB and function?

2. can it be removed from the case and inserted into a PC to function (IDE or SATA interface?)

Even if you choose not to answer, no doubt people will attempt such things shortly after release and we'll find out anyway :)

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Amir, does the drive inside your 360 HD-DVD addon integrate the necessary AACS keys for itself or are those handled in the control chips outside the drive? (I think looking at my last few questions you get the point behind this one ;) )

What are your comments about this poll:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=727508

There are much more HTPC/MCE users going to/"who would like to :rolleyes: " buy and use the 360 HD-DVD addon than xBox 360 owners... (note: this poll is NOT from the HTPC forum. Therefor I assume at least as many xbox 360 owners reading it or participating in it than HTPC users - just to point out the statistical value of the data...)

GREAT choice/decision about the King Kong bundle btw!

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is HD-DVD getting more studio support? If so, which studio's have signed on or are planning on signing on? Sorry if it's been asked before but I don't care to read 87 pages about video codes.

2741 - 2760 of 4623 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.