AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Not that I know of. Otherwise I'm guessing there'd be a sticky "Note" at the top of this forum along with the other 5 about the WB in HD, NBC shows in HD, Discovery channel in HD, and the Triple Crown in HD.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
No news from ABC re: new HDTV programing at this time. This would include the 500. I think it's safe to say it will be available in SD only.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Unfortunately I guess that means ABC won't be covering any Stanley Cup Playoffs in HD either. No word on MNF this fall. Oh well, HDNet may cover Arena football, that is almost as good, right folks??

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just finised watching the F-1 practice in Monaco on Speedvision and they said that it will be broadcast after the 500 in Bernie Eckelstone's "New Digital". With each team in F-1 spending on average $100 million per year, you would think they would have the funds to be among the first to broadcast in HD. Randy

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Why should the F1 teams be the ones to foot the bill for HD coverage? That makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
ABC doesn't have HD truck correct?

I wouldn't expect any HD sports from ABC until they get their truck back.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Lorenz
Just finised watching the F-1 practice in Monaco on Speedvision and they said that it will be broadcast after the 500 in Bernie Eckelstone's "New Digital". With each team in F-1 spending on average $100 million per year, you would think they would have the funds to be among the first to broadcast in HD. Randy
There isn't any Speed Channel race program on after the 500, but ABC will be airing the Monaco race after the 500, so maybe ABC will be able to show the race in "New Digital"?

I don't think Dish will be airing any HD Speed Channel programs unless it moves the channel to a different transponder with higher bandwidth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would pay a lot to see Formula 1 in HD. For free OTA, I would be over the moon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In truth, FOCA (Formula One Constructors Association) which is run by Bernie Ecclestone has their own FOCA digital cameras and state of the art production facilities at each F1 event to broadcast PPV digital in Europe. This includes multiple viewer selectable in car cameras, timing and scoring data, various viewer selectable camera feeds, etc. I don't know if this is in HD or not, but I would love for Speed Channel to have access to some of this in order to increase the popularity of F1 here in the US.

The teams, while having incredible budgets, are not directly involved in these broadcasts, although they share in the revenue stream from the broadcasting rights.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To promote the roll-out of its digital ppv broadcasts in England, F1 is having a contest; first prize is one of Jaguar's current F1 race cars! Imagine, opening your garage to show your neighbors your new "wheels!!!!"

·
Registered
957 Posts
Jay, the bad part is when your neighbor blows your Jag away with his 57 Desoto. Jag is very lame. I would love to see F-1 ( or NASCAR,IRL,CART,hydroplanes...ETC)in HD. It would make those hand gestures after a tenuous pass a lot easier to see, not to mention pre race festivities.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm no expert, but it seems that professional auto racing makes a lot of money by cramming as many "sponsors" logos onto every surface of the cars possible. You would think that these sponsors would foot the bill for HD since it would allow more logos to be visible by the viewers, especially the desireable HDTV owning viewers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
wezar - as crappy as the Jag R3 is with reference to it's competition, I wouldn't mind having it in my garage. It can still do 0 to 100 mph to 0 in under five seconds!

Paul K - I agree completely. I have no idea what the economics of F1 broadcasts by Speed Channel are, but I would think that FOCA Productions (the digital F1 broadcaster) would have a long term strategy for developing the US market for their sponsors that includes a nominal fee for providing Speed Channel their digital feed for a nominal fee instead of the host country terrestrial feed that we receive here in the U.S.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Is there ever going to be *any* auto race from *any* sanctioning body to have a US HD broadcast?

Heck, I'll even watch NASCAR if it's on HD. ;)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
my guess:

1. Expanded coverage of F1 on PPV

2. Another PPV channel added with HD coverage at a higher price than option #1

3. After the Dish merger, Speed Channel adds new HD channel

Before that happens, I think ABC and NBC will start showing some big races in HD, maybe even FOX with their "almost HD".

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with your direction Glenn L, with the following observations:

1. I don't know if BernieVision (FOCA Digital) is produced in HD. I'm sure that whatever the PQ, that it would be vastly superior to the standard host country feed on Speed Channel.

2. Does anyone at AVS Forum know what are the viewership demographics for the current Speed Channel F1 coverage? As a BIG F1 fan, I am optimistic that the numbers are better than most would guess.

3. Would FOCA-TV (Bernard himself) be forward thinking enough to make his DTV feed available to a US broadcaster at a reasonable royalty fee in order to make U.S. F1-PPV financially viable in order to further the market penetration in the US which makes the sport increasingly attractive to team sponsors. My view is that Bernie has practically no increase in production costs in order to provide the same feed to the US, and I think that he is a shrewd enough billionaire to understand the merits of the exchange.

4. The bandwidth required to host this multichannel interactive broadcast with all of the camera, in-car, and data channels would limit who could broadcast F1-PPV to probably only Dish/Direct who controls the satellite bandwidth. The upside to Dish/Direct is that a majority of the Continental races are live in the US early in the morning (7 AM here in Houston) which facilitates a revenue stream in a normally low revenue producing segment of the day. And those same periods in weekend schedule have the highest available bandwidth for transmission of all the cool subchannels.

5. Would I be willing to pay for this coverage? Yep, but I would expect a package for the 3 day event and I would only pay up to $10-$15 per race event.

Anyone else with thoughts, ideas, or comments?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
ABC doesn't have HD truck correct?
Correct, no ABC HDTV truck.

ABC had one 3 years ago that Panasonic bought them for MNF, but it was sold to the Ackerly Broadcast Group back in May of 2000.

CBS is the only broadcast network with an HDTV truck, at this time.

But since most network remote productions are done with rented equipment, this is a moot point.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Ken, this is nitpicky, but does CBS own the truck? I faintly remember screaming and yelling during college football season that CBS leased the truck from some other outfit. Just wondering!:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.