AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some inexpensive component video cables. I have seen many cables that are over 100 dollars for 1 meter, and I will not be spending anywhere near that much. I don't want a discussion on how much quality is added with thousand dollar cables. What I want are some suggestions on inexpensive component video cables.

By inexpensive I am talking 1-40 dollars. What are my options? Links are appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought mine at Target (made by RCA). Less than $20 for a pretty long cable (10' or so).

I also saw one at Lowes.

-Glenn

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have built 3 sets of Canare ones for my brother and myself. Material costs for one 3 meter cable come out to be around $35 dollars. I am not in the business of making cables (although for the money they charge for component cables, I should be), but I figure by the time I make cables for friends for a small profit, the tool costs will be gone...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have 4 sets of analog video cables including Monster, Bettercables, and AR Pro (RF, composite, and two S videos). They all provided superior picture quality compared to the "in-the-box freebie" cables. For under $40 it is unlikely you will find new Monster or Bettercables but many AVSforum members like www.pacificcable.com and the 6' component with stereo audio plus the 3-piece video are $12 (without shipping) at http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...Name=254-606IV At Amazon.com they have AR cables (but it looks like the 3 piece video only) for $28.25. See: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846 There are many other places you might find by doing a search on component video cable. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickwebb
I have built 3 sets of Canare ones for my brother and myself. Material costs for one 3 meter cable come out to be around $35 dollars. I am not in the business of making cables (although for the money they charge for component cables, I should be), but I figure by the time I make cables for friends for a small profit, the tool costs will be gone...
I looked this up and while I would really like to do it, I don't need that many cables and none of my friends do right now either. I am afraid it would take me several years to break even.

This is unfortunate because I really like the way they look and I would also feel some pride in doing it myself. I'm still thinking about it, but I don't think it is going to happen, as it will just take too long to pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ricbayer
I have 4 sets of analog video cables including Monster, Bettercables, and AR Pro (RF, composite, and two S videos). They all provided superior picture quality compared to the "in-the-box freebie" cables. For under $40 it is unlikely you will find new Monster or Bettercables but many AVSforum members like www.pacificcable.com and the 6' component with stereo audio plus the 3-piece video are $12 (without shipping) at http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...Name=254-606IV At Amazon.com they have AR cables (but it looks like the 3 piece video only) for $28.25. See: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846 There are many other places you might find by doing a search on component video cable. Good luck. :)

Rick
Wow, I looked up that pacific cable and it is really cheap. I'll have to do some research, but that may be exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder how they can be so much cheaper than everyone else.

Thanks for the link. I will check out the AR stuff too. It seems like the monster stuff is nice but pretty expensive. I take it there is some mark up for the Name!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by zeedave
Search on Ebay for Monster cables. That's where I've found all of mine.
I'll try this too!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, I looked up Bettercables and they look like the same thing that you make with the Canare cables. For a whole lot less money (like 25 percent) I would rather build them myself and have the tools. For one set of component cables I could afford all the tools and build the component cables myself.

I could be wrong though, maybe there is something special about them.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
WalMart sells component video cables that look just like the RadioShack gold series cables. Price is pretty decent.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm very happy with the Dayton line of cables from Parts Express. High quality with a reasonable price, and they are an AVS-Forum sponsor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought 3 sets of Firewire and 1 DVI cable from Pacific cable and they work great! I would recommend them. Got everything in 3 days with the cheapest shipping.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.