AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone knows of an inexpensive DAC that might be similar in quality to what would be on a typical receiver.

Here is my situation, and reason for asking...

I have a Yamaha HTR-5890, which I'm quite pleased with. However, it seems that its 'zone 2' and 'zone 3' outputs can only use analog inputs. (Basically, I suppose it can only 'process' one signal from digital to analog... to the mains). This actually seems to be the way all of them work that I have looked at now that I'm aware of this.

The problem this presents... is that it makes my digital inputs fairly useless. I'm going to run zone 2 to some speakers in the kitchen, and have my zone 3 hooked to some wireless headphones. This way, if someone wants to quietly watch TV, they can use the headphones.... or, someone can stream the computer through Airport to the kitchen, etc.

But, the Airport Express only does either analog out or digital out (only one cord at a time).... and my MythTV based HTPC seems to be quite difficult (if possible) to make send both analog and digital of everything at the same time. I'm sure I'll run into this same problem with other equipment as well. I think even my PS2 is an either... analog or digital, not both at once.

So, I'd like to try to go optical out, split... then run one optical to the optical input on the receiver.... and the other branch through a DAC and into the analog ports. This way, there is a signal present on both for each input. When using the main speakers with surround, etc.... it can always use the digital, so I get the quality / features available when appropriate.

Then, when people use zone 2 or 3, the analog signal is there as well, with no fiddling of settings on the various device (mythtv, airport, ps2, etc.), or swapping of cables. I'm looking, and all I see are DACs that start at $100, used on e-bay, and go into thousands. I'm thinking that this can't be all that expensive to do if they build them into a $100 receiver with all the other stuff it has to do. I understand that some pretty good stuff goes into the good ones for the audiophiles... but I just need this to be roughly as good as what any typical receiver has in it... as it is just being used for my zone 2 and 3 (wireless headphones in my case) anyway. I'll always be using the digital and receiver DACs for my main system.

Anyone know of anything that isn't so expensive? I'm thinking something like this should easily be available for under $50... maybe in kit form for even quite a bit less. Heh, maybe I should dust off my electronics skills and try to make one. I'd also probably need 2 or 3 of them.... so that makes the price restrictions even greater.

Thanks,

-Steve

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Do you DIY? diyparadise has a good DAC for US$125 assembled (not incl shipping) and $25 for the PCB only

Options: instead of the Airport Express, A Squeezebox has both analog and digital output active simultaneously (actually you'll save on having to buy a decent optical splitter, a DAC and extra cables etc.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/0

Do you DIY? diyparadise has a good DAC for US$125 assembled (not incl shipping) and $25 for the PCB only

Options: instead of the Airport Express, A Squeezebox has both analog and digital output active simultaneously (actually you'll save on having to buy a decent optical splitter, a DAC and extra cables etc.)

Thanks for the link... that's one of the more simple ones I've seen yet. Though, it is missing optical input... but I think those can be had for like $25. You're right though, that will all add up to probably $100+ anyway.

I'd like to stay with the airport so I can use the protected AAC files too, but the Squeezbox is interesting for sure.

However, I'm hoping to find a solution to address all my digital stuff at some point, so the airport is just one of the problems.

Thanks,

-Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.