AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a audio setup for my living room. I won't require video switching and this system is NOT for critical viewing or listening (as is my home theater). The setup presently includes a Toshiba 50HX81, Panasonic RP-56 and Sony SAT HD100 and I want to add DD/DTS 5.1 capabilities, keeping the audio additions under $1,000 (preferably in $600-$700 price range).


Thanks for any suggestions,

Neil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nerbe
I would like a audio setup for my living room. I won't require video switching and this system is NOT for critical viewing or listening (as is my home theater). The setup presently includes a Toshiba 50HX81, Panasonic RP-56 and Sony SAT HD100 and I want to add DD/DTS 5.1 capabilities, keeping the audio additions under $1,000 (preferably in $600-$700 price range).


Thanks for any suggestions,

Neil
There are any number of entry level DD/DTS capable receivers in the 200-300 dollar range that should meet your needs for your particular application. In addition, there are numerous home-theater-in-a-box solutions with low power DD/DTS receivers and speakers in the $400-100 range.


SONY, YAMAHA, KENWOOD, ONKYO, PIONEER, JBL, HK...just to name a few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Cwood.


The problem is that their are many choices and little info on this forum in this price class. Was wondering if anyone has an "inexpensive" system and is satisfied (or not).


Thanks,

Neil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nerbe
Thanks, Cwood.


The problem is that their are many choices and little info on this forum in this price class. Was wondering if anyone has an "inexpensive" system and is satisfied (or not).


Thanks,

Neil
I bought the Kenwood HTB-504 system that consists of the VR-507 receiver, speakers and SW-35 subwoofer. For the money it's an *EXCELLENT* system and could probably deafen me in my one bedroom apartment if I let it :D the sound is clear pushed to insane levels and really immerses me in the soundtrack of the movie (Phantom Menaces' soundtrack is *tres* cool and the HTB-504 does it proud)


NefCanuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks NefCanuck,


I ordered an Onkyo TXDS575X, Factory Renewed from Onecall for $295.79 including 3 day shipping and new factory warranty. I also ordered a PSB Alpha system for my speaker setup (4 Alpha a/v's, 1 Alpha center and an Alpha Subsonic 5) for a very good price from yawaonline. I'll give you my impressions of the sound and service when received and installed.


Neil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nerbe
Thanks NefCanuck,


I ordered an Onkyo TXDS575X, Factory Renewed from Onecall for $295.79 including 3 day shipping and new factory warranty. I also ordered a PSB Alpha system for my speaker setup (4 Alpha a/v's, 1 Alpha center and an Alpha Subsonic 5) for a very good price from yawaonline. I'll give you my impressions of the sound and service when received and installed.


Neil
Please do, I'm interested to see how much of a difference there is between the HTB system I have and something that was assembled from various parts :)


NefCanuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NefCanuck,


I would have to say for $1,160 delivered, this combination provides a great listening experience, really adds to the immersive movie experience. I can't provide a comparison to Home Theater in a Box systems but I'm more than surprised how it compares to my dedicated home theater (subwoofer alone cost 3 times the total of the receiver and speakers).


I have only had this one experience with both vendors but I am completely satisfied. The products arrived when promised and with no damage (as a matter of fact, it was a pain unboxing everything but I'm grateful for the extra efforts used, like double boxing). It sure is nice when promises are fulfilled.


One interesting point: After pricing the speakers on the Yawaonline website I called them with a couple questions and the salesperson (Bill, I think) gave me an ever better price than the online costs!


Neil
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top