Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm contemplating picking up the Linkskey LDV-002ES.
http://images10.newegg.com/productim...107-221-06.JPG

I have only two input sources, the Opoo Digital 971, and an HTPC with a ATI 9000 AIW with DVI.

I have the Optoma H31. To my knowledge, neither device passes HDCP content to projector, and the projector doesn't care. The entire system is DVI based, so HDMI support isn't a concern.

Everyone on here recommends the Geffen, but with an MSRP of $250, it's quite a bit more than the MSRP of the Linkskey, at $99. It also includes 2 DVI cables, just like the Geffen.

Drawbacks are it won't pass HDCP, and it's requires me to manually switch inputs (and that's not a drawback to me).

Before I placed an order for one, I just wanted to know if anyone's had any experience with it?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a follow up:

The switch arrived today, and I had it up and running in no time. I took unplugging it once before the sparklies went away, but it's switching fine. :)

I have a 25' cable run from it to the projector, and each cable into it is 4', so it's running at the ragged edge of what DVI-D over copper can do, but it's doing it.

I can't tell if there's signal degradation. I tried mounting it with just a 5M cable (strewn in a most unsatisfactory way across the floor rather than through the ceiling where it usually resides) but it appeared to be the same quality signal.

My only gripe:

The LEDs on front are VERY bright. And they blink, rather than glow solid. Not sure if the blinking is because I don't have the PS/2 ports connected, but it sure is annoying. ;)

·
Registered
881 Posts
It doesn't do HDCP pass-through according to the poster... that might be worth the extra $150 in the long run... you'll probably have to buy the Gefen soon anyway what with the way the industry is going.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
91BlckGT said "Drawbacks are it won't pass HDCP, . . .".

It sounds like they are not switching all of the wires in the DVI cable (specifically the HDCP signals -- I'm assuming that's on separate wires).

I tend to agree with Yahmoncool with regard to the Geffen switcher. HDCP is going to be used with increasing frequency as "Hollywood" starts to crack down on pirates. The problem is that DVI is going to be dropped in favor of HDMI (and that may be replaced with an "improved" version (with a more robust connector?).

·
Registered
4,182 Posts

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I wouldn't worry about HDCP. There are already boxes on the market that take an encypted signal from DVI or HDMI and output a totally unencrypted(ripe for copying) signal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.