AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like an external dual layer burner that does BD-RE DL's. Don't care much about features (except 3D) or speed, just low price. Now before the "why do you need a BD burner because..." replies start READ:

I have a HTPC with a BD/HD DVD reader (why it must be external) AnyDVD HD/Clown and backup all my media to a 12TB unRAID server.

I'm about to buy a BD player with 3D VUDU capacity.

Playback of 3D on my HTPC has lip sync and I have to change the lip sync timing each time to play a 3D movie.

Playback of 3D on my HTPC requires that I switch screens (can't use Extended Desktop for 3D) and enable the 3D effect (requiring a keyboard) and I use iRule to control Media Center.

I put all my BD's in a storage room and it would just be more convent to burn a couple of 3D BD-RE's of movies I want to watch. This is why low price needs to out weigh innocence of retrieving.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceuterpe /forum/post/20828713

If you don't care for LightScribe I'd go for an internal Lite-ON iHBS112, and buy a seperate external enclosure. Just snag the best rated one you can find for your budget. If possible, I'd suggest a dual USB/eSATA one.

There's another post similar to what you are asking:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353666

That's what I did.

Here is a pic of my external bluray drive (on the right) which has USB and eSATA. I turn the power off when its not in use on my regular HTPC.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20828373

I would like an external dual layer burner that does BD-RE DL's. Don't care much about features (except 3D) or speed, just low price. Now before the "why do you need a BD burner because..." replies start READ:

I have a HTPC with a BD/HD DVD reader (why it must be external) AnyDVD HD/Clown and backup all my media to a 12TB unRAID server.

I'm about to buy a BD player with 3D VUDU capacity.

Playback of 3D on my HTPC has lip sync and I have to change the lip sync timing each time to play a 3D movie.

Playback of 3D on my HTPC requires that I switch screens (can't use Extended Desktop for 3D) and enable the 3D effect (requiring a keyboard) and I use iRule to control Media Center.

I put all my BD's in a storage room and it would just be more convent to burn a couple of 3D BD-RE's of movies I want to watch. This is why low price needs to out weigh innocence of retrieving.

Btw, I have similar issues with playing 3D discs on my HTPC. Not lip syncing, but for some reason it can't output a proper checkerboard pattern for my DLP. Probably has to do with the fact that I have to overscan on the HTPC only. My Panasonic player has no problems with the scaling fine, so I use RE discs for that purpose.

If you're comfortable, you can buy 50GB RE discs online. They are much cheaper imported from Japan, bought on eBay. I would stick with either Panasonic or Sony (which I think is using Matushita, i.e. Panasonic). At only a 5 pack, I suggest you buy them sealed, instead of without cases for the few extra dollars. I see a 5-pack Sony sealed for about $64. Some claim they get damaged while in transit in their mound of repacked sleeves.

Be prepared to wait though, they are only 2x at the most (no RE discs exceed 2x). While they will burn CLV, and thus a consistent 2x speed, it could take up to 90 minutes for a fully packed disc. I also got a 5 pack of 25GB discs. Those were far cheaper. I think less than half per disc. Still only 2x though.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceuterpe /forum/post/20828713

If you don't care for LightScribe I'd go for an internal Lite-ON iHBS112, and buy a seperate external enclosure. Just snag the best rated one you can find for your budget. If possible, I'd suggest a dual USB/eSATA one.

There's another post similar to what you are asking:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353666

If LightScribe is labeling then no. I will be reusing the discs over and over.

So I can just buy a case like this and put a BD burner in it?

On the BD burner I specifically want BD-RE DL. Don't most just do single layer and do all do RE discs?

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20829055

If LightScribe is labeling then no. I will be reusing the discs over and over.

So I can just buy a case like this and put a BD burner in it?

On the BD burner I specifically want BD-RE DL. Don't most just do single layer and do all do RE discs?

No, you need a 5.25" case . Use USB, eSATA, Firewire or whatever adapter you want to use. Make sure the internal connection is SATA.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The Plextor is currently the best external Blu-Ray burner available, but it's all sold out at newegg.com $220. You'll need USB 3.0 if you want Fast Forward and Rewind to play smoothly on a external Blu-Ray player.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC
You'll need USB 3.0 if you want Fast Forward and Rewind to play smoothly on a external Blu-Ray player.
What about eSATA? They should be about the same speed.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC
The Plextor is currently the best external Blu-Ray burner available, but it's all sold out at newegg.com $220. You'll need USB 3.0 if you want Fast Forward and Rewind to play smoothly on a external Blu-Ray player.
I don't care about playback, USB 3, looks or features. Only (lowest) price and ability to burn a 3D BD-RE DL dual layer.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20830030

I don't care about playback, USB 3, looks or features. Only (lowest) price and ability to burn a 3D BD-RE DL dual layer.

Plextor simply rebadges Pioneer drives. I suggest you go with Lite-On over Pioneer at this point. It seems like there's issues with the BDR-206 unit.

Either adding this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392031

or:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392021

with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106346

Might as well get the eSATA/USB combo. It's like a difference of $7. I'd add that you either want USB 3.0 or eSATA.

Lite-On appears to make two versions of this drive now. The link I gave you has the MTK chipset. The newer one I think has NEC. I've never cared for the NEC based chipsets. Definitely not worth saving $10 to get an NEC variant.

Burning 3D is more based on whether or not you handled the original image properly. If you rip as files, you will break 3D. If you rip as an ISO then you will be ok. Ripping as files breaks the UDF funny business, and you often end up with files that exceed the 50GB the dual layer discs can hold. The drive I mentioned can burn both single and dual of both RE, and single write. RE discs domestically are about $30 a pop. Imported from Japan through eBay is about $12 a disc.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceuterpe /forum/post/20830891

Plextor simply rebadges Pioneer drives. I suggest you go with Lite-On over Pioneer at this point. It seems like there's issues with the BDR-206 unit.

Either adding this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392031

or:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392021

with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106346

Might as well get the eSATA/USB combo. It's like a difference of $7. I'd add that you either want USB 3.0 or eSATA.

Lite-On appears to make two versions of this drive now. The link I gave you has the MTK chipset. The newer one I think has NEC. I've never cared for the NEC based chipsets. Definitely not worth saving $10 to get an NEC variant.

Burning 3D is more based on whether or not you handled the original image properly. If you rip as files, you will break 3D. If you rip as an ISO then you will be ok. Ripping as files breaks the UDF funny business, and you often end up with files that exceed the 50GB the dual layer discs can hold. The drive I mentioned can burn both single and dual of both RE, and single write. RE discs domestically are about $30 a pop. Imported from Japan through eBay is about $12 a disc.

Absolutely. I have that first case and it works great (see the pic).

I have used that drive a ton too and its awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.