Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for something reasonably cheap and specific:

-A small, hopefully box mounted, IR receiver that connects to coax and into an IR redistributer/retransmitter

-A transmitter that is NOT a blaster type that needs to practically connect right to each device - I want a transmitter that points in multiple directions and can "hit" multiple components in my rack, the x10 switch next to the rack, etc., sort of just like I had a remote back there.

I have the coax cable already run from the front of the room to the back, and there is a box at the front for it too, so its real convenient if I can get this to work.

The rack is behind my riser, and behind my seats, so the seats are going to block the IR from bouncing back.

I'd like to avoid the wireless pyramid because it will look out of place in the front of the room. I'll go there if I have to...

Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp79
-A transmitter that is NOT a blaster type that needs to practically connect right to each device - I want a transmitter that points in multiple directions and can "hit" multiple components in my rack, the x10 switch next to the rack, etc., sort of just like I had a remote back there.
I think you may have your terms mixed up, I would say that you DO want a blaster but not a small, localized stick-on emitter. A Blaster does what you describe and uses high output IR emitters to blast an area with IR light. The ones I'm familiar with have a range of about 35 feet.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not exactly what you're asking for, but the Leapfrog system offers a blaster type IR emitter as well as a wired directional paste-on that can be used at the same time. I suppose you can crack the case on the receiver open and jam it into an electrical box if you wanted to. Hey, you said cheap!

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
WARNING: Xantech does make a system for transmitting IR over coax and sharing that coax with RF applications. HOWEVER, that injects DC current into the coax which means you'll need DC Blockers (from Xantech) every place on your coax runs that does not have a Xantech IR sender/receiver. If you don't do this, the blue smoke will escape.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine
If you don't do this, the blue smoke will escape.

I hate it when the blue smoke escapes!!!!! :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
It sucks that nothing ever works after you've let the smoke out. I'm not sure everyone understands that ALL electronics run on smoke... :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott
It sucks that nothing ever works after you've let the smoke out. I'm not sure everyone understands that ALL electronics run on smoke... :D
Now don't forget about the mirrors... :p

-Rob-

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually used to have that leapfrog thing where the transmitter connects to the remote, and has a blaster emitter. It def. would not work if you put the receiver/transmitter across a room. Its not sensitive enough.

I guess I am not sure about terminology, but most times I've seen the word blaster it has been one of the small things that are meant to be mounted to 1 component's IR window.

I landed up buying the set of receiver/transmitter pyramids for now. Haven't tried it yet.

I did find the systems that use coax, but it was going to be upwards of $200 for the complete system that will sit sleekly in a J-box. I can't see spending it right now, maybe in the future.

Luckily, the coax I was/may use in the future is not being used/not connected to anything else - no blockers needed - it would be a 1 way connect from 1 end of the room to the other.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I should clarify. Leapfrog makes several IR solutions and I was NOT talking about the one that attaches to a remote. This is what I was referring to: http://www0.shopping.com/xPC-Terk_LFIRX

The IR receiver (which retransmits RF) is powered by an A/C wallwart. It is extremely sensitive to IR which can be shot from 40' away (that's as far as I can get to test it). The RF receiver (IR transmitter) end is also powered by a wallwart and has an antenna on it to increase range. You can use the unit as an IR blaster or plug in the wired localized emitter or use both at the same time. I have the unit hidden in my equipment rack and have the wired emitter stuck to the front of my cable box since this is the only device I was concerned with controlling from another room.

It's not too high tech, but it works very well for a $30 solution.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have a Sony receiver and dvd player. The receiver's remote works fine with the leapfrog irx. It is a multidevice remote; I can control the receiver (volume, select input) fine. When receiver's remote selects the dvd input, it can also control the dvd player (start, stop, etc) fine with the leapfrog also. If I use the dvd player's remote, the leapfrog doesn't appear to work. I can see the infra red lite up in the darkened room on both the transmitter and receiver but the dvd player doesn't react to it. I assume the position of the transmitter is fine since the dvd player picks up the signal using the receiver's remote (there is no signal connection between the receiver and dvd player).

Any idea why the dvd remote won't work?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig aguiar
It may be that the one remote opperates on frequency that is not within the frequency response of the transmitter/receiver.
So 2 remotes could be on different freqs, but still support the codes for the dvd player? I guess, just seemed funny since I see the IR flash when I use the dvd remote.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.