AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy two inexpensive projectors for my school (grades 7-12, public charter school). The projectors will travel between classrooms so they need to be durable. Lighting conditions will be hard to predict. Ease of use is important as well, but last on the high priority list. They will mostly be used for hooking up to a computer but I could see using them for DVD/VHS movies every now and then too. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Light conditions will be a big variable in deciding what PJ to get. (I guess one's budget ranks pretty high up there too! ;)) What's your budget?

Presentation/business PJs are real light cannons, but leave something to be desired when it comes to displaying videos/movies. If you're not going to have HD sources, maybe an Infocus X2? At around 1100 lumens, this should be adequate for those settings with a little ambient light. Regular TV won't look great on this PJ, but DVD material should look decent.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ideally I'd like to keep it under $2000 for both. Maybe I should buy two different models? One a bit cheaper like the X2 ($799 at my reseller) and then the other a bit more expensive? Alternatively, I could just get two cheap ones and buy a much better third one in about 6 months when we have more money. In fact, that's probably what I should do.

So the Infocus X2 at 1600 lumens and 2000:1 contrast is the way to go? Definitely we will be using these projectors mostly for display from a PC. Some DVD/VHS viewing and virtually no TV viewing. Lighting conditions may be very poor, I just don't know exactly because the school has been under construction and we don't get in for a few more days. I'm there frequently though and I don't see being able to block out anywhere near all the ambient light coming into the classrooms. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Match the X2 with a DaLite High Power screen (2.8 gain), and you should be okay. The X3 has a nice long lamp life and is in your budget too, with a little better resolution. Good entry level PJs.

Have fun (and keep an eye on those PJs, they may disappear on you)!:D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I will get one of the X3's and see how we do. I could probably buy another in a month or two. I'm not sure about the screen, I think we're just using some older screens that were left over from the the company that moved out of our building. Not ideal, but they seem to work. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Advantage of having the same PJ model is only one type of bulb to buy and can be swap between PJ for emergency. It will also allow you to see which one is performing out of spec. by comparing to each other. Some may give you quantity discount for buying 2 of the same model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.