AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the more inexpensive receivers that are capable of multi-channel PCM or DD+, DD true HD etc...

I'm basically looking for something to connect my PS3 for blu-ray to take advantage of high resolution audio. I have a Denon 3805 that works great. What's the most inexpensive way to get into the game?

thanks,

ej

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
For the record the PS3 will not send a signal bitstream or internally decode DTS HD Master. Which means the advanced audio receivers aren't necessary. The PLAYSTATION 3 system will support audio technology such as Dolby Digital 5.1 ch, DTS 5.1 ch, LPCM 7.1 ch, AAC, and others. A device compatible with Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. is required to output 7.1 Ch. audio, supported by Dolby TrueHD or a similar format, from the HDMI OUT connector.

This system does not support output from the DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. audio is output from a 5.1 or lower channel. I highly recommend the Yamaha RX-v661 receiver. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/avreceiver...l?CTID=5000300

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Also don't believe the rumors about the PS3 will Decode DTS HD Master soon. I'll believe it when Sony submits a press release.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So these yamaha units will decode multi channel LPCMs that the PS3 outputs. Is the 661 the most inexpensive of the bunch?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ /forum/post/13014288

So these yamaha units will decode multi channel LPCMs that the PS3 outputs. Is the 661 the most inexpensive of the bunch?

Yes

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
The Sony 810 will accept MC LPCM, I think it's the cheapest. The Panasonic XR57 will, also, but it's as basic as it gets.

My favorite of the LPCM bunch is the Yamaha 661 also, especially for a 7.1 system.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, I am so happy with my Denon, and Dolby Digital tracks @ 640kbps and DTS @ 1.5Mbps, I couldn't be happier with the sound I am getting with my Swan speaker system and my HSU sub.

I'm fine running component for most things and DVI from my PS3 to my projector, so I think I'll just enjoy what I have.

Thanks for the input.

ej

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You should consider the uncompressed 5.1 soundtracks on blu-ray. They sound awesome. You can only hear it thru the HDMI output.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts