AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any economical (less than $500) RF controls for lighting.

I have 3 zones (2 recessed cans each) that need control. I would like to have preset lighting scenes but that isn't necessary. I just need to be able to turn on and off and gradually dim them.

I can't use IR because my HT room doesn't have any wall plates in the room, they're in the hallways that lead into the room.

The only thing I can think of using are the RF controls for ceiling fans. Each unit can power up to 400watts. They run $40 each. Plus you can change the frequency for each station with dip switches so they don't all respond at the same time.

Are there any remotes out there that can "learn" RF signals to control this?

Otherwise I can use one of the remotes that comes with the unit but I would have to take the battery cover off each time I want to change the lighting to be able to switch between zones with the dip settings. Doable, but a pain in the arse.

· Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buknakyd /forum/post/0

Anyone know of any economical (less than $500) RF controls for lighting.

I have 3 zones (2 recessed cans each) that need control. I would like to have preset lighting scenes but that isn't necessary. I just need to be able to turn on and off and gradually dim them.

Look At X10 or Lutron Radio Ra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buknakyd /forum/post/0

The only thing I can think of using are the RF controls for ceiling fans. Each unit can power up to 400watts. They run $40 each. Plus you can change the frequency for each station with dip switches so they don't all respond at the same time.

Are there any remotes out there that can "learn" RF signals to control this?

NO Remotes can not learn RF signals.

· Registered
47 Posts
The Logitech Harmony 880 Remote (along with many other RF remotes) can control X10 lighting. I personally love X10 as a budget solution since the devices are readily available in bulk on eBay for very affordable prices since the technology has been around since the '70s.

· Registered
27 Posts
The x10 website has lots of economical solutions you might find helpful.

· Registered
968 Posts
x10 is a good, cheap way to go, but also take a look at smarthome.com. They carry some x10 stuff that's impossible to find on x10's website.

One thing you may also want to look for is an x10 IR to RF Receiver. This way any learning remote will allow you to control the x10 stuff without needing the 880/890.

· Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvlaki99 /forum/post/0

Can you set lighting scenes with, lets say, four different x10 dimmers side by side? and then control them with either a 880 or 890 remote?

I don't see why not since each dimmer is individually addressable, but the Harmony forum would know for sure.

· Registered
658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGElster /forum/post/0

The Logitech Harmony 880 Remote (along with many other RF remotes) can control X10 lighting. I personally love X10 as a budget solution since the devices are readily available in bulk on eBay for very affordable prices since the technology has been around since the '70s.

um, i didn't think i could control x10 with my 880?!?

Time to get on it! I already have x10 stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.