Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a college student and have myself stuck in the dorms again next year. I'm looking for some small speakers to take with me. Something along the lines of the Bose Acoustimass speakers (in terms of size and quality) but not price. I'm hoping to spend less than $200 and would like to get 4 channels out of it. Anyway, I'm wondering what else is out there that's small. I'd like floor standing speakers, but keep in mind, they are going in a dorm room, so smaller is better.

I've been looking at PC speakers and my gut feeling is that the money would be better spent on home-theater type speakers than home theater speakers. So what else is out there that's small, relatively inexpensive, and still sounds good.

What you suggest doesn't have to be new-I have no problem buying used items as long as they are relatively easily available (ebay for instance) I'm just sort of wondering what's out there, I don't even know where to begin. The only reasonable name I know in small speakers is Bose, who seems to be significantly overpriced for their size.

I'll most likely be driving these speakers with a Carver AV-634 amp I've got here, being fed from a Sound Blaster Extigy. Oh, and lastly-on the AV-634, anyone know where I can get screws for rack-mounting that have some kind of plastic washer or something so they don't scratch the faceplace of the equipment when I rack mount it? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Erickotz,

4 speakers for $200. that's pretty tough, for $200 you're probably going to have to end up with computer speakers. Onecall has some great deals on discontinued NHT Superzeros for about $75 each, but you'll need a sub in order to get some bass in there. Otherwise you're best bet will be computer speakers. Something like the Monsoon Audio speakers or even the new or used Klipsch Promedia system.

There's also Home Theater In a Box combos for around $500-$600 which usually includes 5 speakers + 1 subwoofer + Dolby decoding and amplification for all channels.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, how much would I have to spend, or what if I were willing to live with only 2 channels?

My Sound Blaster Extigy allready has hardware Dolby Digital decoding, so I don't need a DD decoder, and I allready have an amp.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
There's a lot of options for a pair of speakers in the $200-$400 range. The hard part will be auditioning any of these speakers or taking the leap of faith and ordering a pair through the internet with a 30 day home trial.

Try:
www.ascendacoustics.com - the CBM-170 looks like best bang 4$
www.********** - for Rocket RS250 speakers
www.mirageaudio.com - check out the new Omni-series 50's bookshelves
www.audiogon.com - for used Audio deals of all sorts

There are klipsch, boston acoustics, polk, and others that have speakers in your price range. When I was in college I had no room for floorstanders, but that was my dorm, your dorm might have space for larger speakers. The ones above are all bookshelf size speakers. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got these and I think they are great for the $. They come with wall mounting brackets. You can add a subwoofer later. Also upgrade the fronts and then have 7.1 surround.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i got my LS/C/RS Mirage avs-200's and a avs-100 for $100 shipped to my dorm room used

they're great for small speakers and literally leaps and bounds better than Bose cubes, i assure you of that.

i also bought energy connoiseur c-1's for $160 shipped used but in dead mint condition off of audiogon recently which are even better sounding by a good amount, but they're also about 6 times bigger in terms of volume

aside from the mirage avs's

also look for:

Paradigm atoms

NHT superzeros or superones

psb alphas (a bit bigger than the others)

energy take 2 (almost identical in sound with the mirage avs's)

home theater direct middies (direcrt from www.hometheaterdirect.com )

this is just a short list off the top of my head for small speakers, with great sound, they have a more full and rich sound than the bose offerings with lower price tags to boot! i htink you will be pleasantly surprised

but you will need a sub with these speakers, at such a low budget as $200, dont expect much

maybe you're better off just buying klipsch promedias or logitech z560's

·
Registered
923 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts about how the satellites in a Logitech Z560 set sound compared to HT grade speakers of similar size (or even larger bookshelf models)?

Kensai

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Buy audio gear from audio companies; buy mice and keyboards from mouse and keyboard companies. :D

Logitech speakers are rather poor.

Sorny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.