AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sincerely apologize in advance (as I'm sure after looking at how comprehensive this forum is), I'm guessing this has been done to death but I tried searching for this comparison in advance and ALL of my hits have nothing to do with these two subs. I'm looking for an inexpensive sub to upgrade to for my very small living room and it seems that the Velodyne VX-10 and the HSU STF-1 are both very popular and in my limited price range. My readings tell me that both seem pretty well received but I wanted to ask the experts here if one is significantly better than the other?

Again sorry if this has been done many times before, but any brief help you can give would be great. I'm looking to purchase immediately.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
In that price range I would consider the new Dayton 12" sub from parts express. The 10" one always got good reviews for the money, and the 12" isn't that much more expensive. The HSU is good for what it is; but it isn't going to get very loud (the STF-2 is a big step up, but is also more expensive).

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Blech. Velo's inexpensive subs are lousy... get something else.
:eek:

I disagree. I have heard very good feed back from members of this forum on the VX10, plus I have one in a small 10x20 ft room. It is very clean, tight and it can vibrate my couch when it needs to. Since it is being sold as a loss leader these days and it is essentially the same as the VRP 1000 which only discounts down to around $250.00, it offers very good value. In defence of Bruce Hall and his crew I must say that Velodyne has always had a good reputation and it is unlikely that they would produce even a budget sub that would be considered less then par.

I can not comment on the HSU STF1 since I haven't heard it, but it has received excellent reviews. Either sub should work well in a smaller space but if your going over 1800 cubic ft or so, with its higher output I would recommend the HSU. Just remember that when determining your budget, room size should be a priority for you.

Ian ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the replies. I'm intrigued by the Dayton now as well. It seems that for my budget that the three that have been mentioned are my best bets. Does anyone else have any feedback on these models?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
How about the Accoustech H-100? A bit cheaper than the STF-1.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang
Ditto, same amp, bigger driver, less money=better value. And it has a very nice finish.

Ian ;)

since it sounds as though you are familiar with both the vx10 and the h100, i was curious how you would compare the two for producing tight, accurate bass. i am looking for a sub for a small apartment bedroom, so i'm thinking the vx10 might be powerful enough and probably a bit more musical?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought the 12" Dayton tonight from Amazon...$166 shipped... I looked at the Acoustech sub, but it was $100 more delivered...

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k124
since it sounds as though you are familiar with both the vx10 and the h100, i was curious how you would compare the two for producing tight, accurate bass. i am looking for a sub for a small apartment bedroom, so i'm thinking the vx10 might be powerful enough and probably a bit more musical?
Since I haven't heard the H-100 it would be very difficult for me to give you an accurate review. The bottom line is how much do you want to spend. The Velo will work well in smaller rooms and cost less, but if you ever decide to move to a bigger space then the Acoustech may be a better choice. I admit that the Velo is pretty linear because it blends well with my classic Advent 5002's which have been proven to be very accurate. Since the H-100 was designed by Hsu I can only assume that it is linear and musical too.

Ian ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
thanks for the reply -- i think i may just go with the cheap vx100 for now since i am in a small apartment -- when i move to a bigger space, i have a 15" mb quart sub i initially bought for a car i might build up :)

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
If you do go with the VX10 I recommend the use of a Y connecter. You will also probably notice a marked improvement after break in. Good luck.

Ian

·
Registered
967 Posts
I haven't heard any of the subs mentioned (though I'm sure at least the Hsu is a great performer), but have you considered the 12" Cadence XSub for $245 shipped direct from www.cadencestore.com? It's more than $50 less than the Hsu (more if you count shipping) and it gets awesome reviews.

Personally, I hope the reviews are accurate... I ordered one last night. :)

Buckeyefan... If this sub sucks, I'm comin lookin fer you... lol. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tried out the Velodyne VRP1000. After setting it up (and calibrating) in same exact corner position as my current PSB Subsonic 1, I couldn't have been much more disappointed. I figured that my 7 yr old PSB would be easily equalled by the Velodyne VRP1000. What was even worse was that I sold my PSB before opening the VRP1000 since I wanted to avoid a restocking fee if my PSB wouldn't sell.

Well as for the VRP1000 being close to my PSB. Nope! Not even close. I guess I was dumb to assume that since Velodyne made it that it for sure would be good. It was not clean bass. It really was exactly what I didn't want to hear from any subwoofer I'd purchase. So I took care of my extreme disappointment and spent about $200 more and got SVS PB10-ISD. Still have got some tweaking to do .... but this sub is GREAT for the money.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Well as for the VRP1000 being close to my PSB. Nope! Not even close. I guess I was dumb to assume that since Velodyne made it that it for sure would be good. It was not clean bass. It really was exactly what I didn't want to hear from any subwoofer I'd purchase.
:eek:

Either you had a bad sub or you didn't set it up right. I have never heard a Velo sub that wasn't clean and I have audition quite a few of them from the DLS 5000R to the VX10. I admit that the budget Velos don't go that loud but in rooms under 2000 cu. ft. they are more then capable. Good luck with your PB10.

Ian :)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut
Einsteinjb, please post your impression after getting the sub.
This I will certainly do after this weekend.

I actually received the sub yesterday in perfect condition. Ordered Monday night, arrived Wednesday afternoon, by UPS ground no less!! Lucky for me they're located not far from here in Jersey.

With the family home, I haven't had a chance to really try it out yet. Lame as it is, I live with my parents right now and my old mother can't stand loud sounds, which sucks for me cause I'm a musician and sound engineer and I rather enjoy making noise. :)

First impression upon taking it out of the box was that it looks nicer in real life than it does in pictures. The build quality seems excellent, nice heavy wood box, and the grille is really solid, wood frame with cover rather than cheap plastic. Controls and connections on the back look like quality, especially the gold plated binding post connections.

I decided to try it first in my tiny studio. Hooked it up using the speaker level connections passed through to my Boston Acoustic CR75 bookshelf monitors (powered by a funky old Luxman integrated amp). These speakers sound cool for the money though they need EQ to sound flat. Un-EQd they're thin and too bright.

But regarding the Cadence, I only got to play it at medium levels for half an hour or so before the battleaxe got home and I had to shut it down. In that little room, setting the volume at 10:00 absolutely rocks the room, and I was pretty impressed with its clarity and depth. I know it only really hits around 30Hz with usable content to 25 or so and rolls off steeply below that, but for music this is perfectly adequate. I played some Fourplay (their Heartfelt album), a record with beautiful pristine recording quality and production and a very heavy but clean bass, and I was more than pleased with the sub's reproduction of the bass notes and kick drums. I also hit a couple tracks from my own remastered version of Yes' 90125 album (since it's so old, I felt it needed remastering to bring the levels up to today's standards, and I pumped up the bottom a bit in the process), and wow, that's what that record's supposed to sound like.

Now everyone says this sub seriously needs to be broken in before it really gets sweet (right Buckeyefan?) so this weekend when the 'rents go to our shore place, I'll let the sub run while I'm out gigging. Hopefully by Sunday it'll be nice & broken in and I can try it in my HT at crazy volumes and see what it's capable of on movies. I'll post my impressions after that. Actually I might post under the "review of a $229 sub" thread rather than here since that thread is specifically about this sub. I never would have known about this sub (or SVS or Hsu for that matter) if it wasn't for you guys and this forum and Audioholics, so if I can help anyone else make decisions based on my experiences, I'll be very pleased.

BTW I WILL own an SVS or Hsu at some point as soon as possible, o yes I shall. I just chose the Cadence XSub for now because it fit my needs and current budget. I also ordered a pair of BIC DV62CLR-S speakers from an eBay dealer with the intention of getting Ed Frias' xover mods done. I can't wait to see how they match with the XSub for both music mixing/listening and HT!!

·
Registered
967 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿche 1
I bought the 12" Dayton tonight from Amazon...$166 shipped... I looked at the Acoustech sub, but it was $100 more delivered...
Um..arent we going to get a quick review?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.