AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as the subject implies, I am in the market for a RF remote that is relatively inexpensive. I need to control a Denon 3805 from outdoors, and I used my TSU7000 in conjunction with my TV to check the range on my RFX6000... it seems to have no problem communicating through the wall to the outdoors...

I was previously looking at Denon's wall mounted IR sensor and repeater... but I was worried about the outdoor "stamina" of the wallmout IR sensor, and thus RF would be a superior choice.

If anyone has done this or knows of such a remote that would work in conjunction with my existing RFX6000, I would be much obliged. Conversely, if the walmountable Denon IR sensor is outdoor friendly, that seems like a more financially feasible choice.

If I could, I would like to avoid buying something like a TSU3000 for a simple Zone 2 input/volume control!

Thanks,

Nate

· Registered
6,657 Posts
I have no idea what various devices you're referring to by model number are, but Radio Shack has the 15-2117 IR/RF remote on sale for $29.95. Given the low price it's surprisingly versatile and easy to set up.

· Registered
351 Posts
2117 is discontinued. You need to call your local RS and asked if they could check stock for you. If they don't have it, you could ask them to check the surrounding RS in their computer network and find one near you. I just got the last 2117 from one of two RS I was working with last week. Unfortunately, I have not try the RF capability.

Good luck in locating it.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
 This nifty device should do the trick. It will work with any remote that uses AA batteries. I use one with a OFA 6131 and it works very well. Much better than the RS 15-2117. Good luck.

Jay

· Registered
1,611 Posts
I have 2 15-2117 remotes that I've used for months now. The RF capability works great with new batteries, but they don't last long and then the RF strength gets pretty weak. I use rechargable batteries so I'm not constantly buying. I'm not sure if the clone by OFA is still available?

· Registered
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
This nifty device should do the trick. It will work with any remote that uses AA batteries. I use one with a OFA 6131 and it works very well. Much better than the RS 15-2117. Good luck.
I tried a 15-2117 (two, in fact) with the hope I could control my Tivo in another room. What I found was that the base station rather blindly translated anything on its RF band into IR. This "IR babble" totally jammed my Tivo's IR input and made it completely useless.

I took the base station to the darkest corner of my basement where my cell phone doesn't even work, and still had a ton of IR babble on the base station. Which was a shame, as the remote had a good feel and an excellent Tivo layout.

The second unit I mentioned above was a swapout with the first to ensure it wasn't a device problem.

I know there are several manufacturers that make RF/IR relays, but they all seem to just blindly convert between RF and IR. It'd be great if there was an RF remote that used a less noisy spectrum than the FCC Part15 spectrum, digital encoding between the RF remote and the base station, or even a cotton-pickin squealch knob on the base to increase noise rejection.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mobocracy
It'd be great if there was an RF remote that used a less noisy spectrum than the FCC Part15 spectrum, digital encoding between the RF remote and the base station, or even a cotton-pickin squealch knob on the base to increase noise rejection.
Try the above product that I referenced. It works great and does not have the noise problems of the RS 2117. Also the OFA 6131 is perfect for Tivo. It has builtin codes and all the buttons for Tivo. You can get the 6131 remote and the RF extender for less than $50.

Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.