AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned this DVD for a while, but I finally got around to seeing it this weekend. All I can say is wow. The story takes a bunch of plot twists, and was amazingly fun without a lot of violence. It uses its story to propel the movie, and did a good job of it. In China it just won Best Picture, Director, and Actor, and supporting Actor.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0338564

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

·
Registered
180 Posts
Chap,

I just watched Infernal Affairs last night and have to agree with your remark about how strong the plot is, which is quite a change from many HK films I've seen over the years. With the success of this movie in Hong Kong, I hope the filmmakers over there will take note and start a trend where scripts are polished to the degree that Affairs's was prior to production. (Heck, I hope Hollywood follows a similar trend.)

While the script was quite strong, I thought the work of Tony Leung and Andy Lau in the leads were even better. Tony Leung, in particular, is absolutely mesmerizing as the undercover cop whose life and sanity are increasingly jeopardized as the story progresses.

Kudos also go to Alan Mak and Andrew Lau for their excellent direction. The pacing and editing are top-notch. I was on the edge of my seat during several scenes, which doesn't happen often to me during a film.

For anyone who's not familiar with this movie, please note that it's not an action flick but rather, a very good crime drama. If stuff like The Usual Suspects and Reservoir Dogs tickles your fancy, definitely give Infernal Affairs a look.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yeah, good flick. I had this since it was released on DVD. BTW, which ending did you guys like? I prefer the original to the alternate one. I read that Brad Pitt was blown away by this flick and had it optioned for a U.S. remake. Arrrg. I don't know why they just don't release it theatrically here. If it is made I could see him playing Tony's part.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer the original ending. The second ending just doesn't do it for me at all. The first ending really gives you a sense of the title of the flick.

As far as the remake goes, I too wish they would just release it theatrically, but then Miramaxe would probably get there hands on it and butcher it and do something silly like use the second ending instead of the original. I could actually see Brad Pitt doing the movie justice though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrhan
which ending did you guys like? I prefer the original to the alternate one.
I just watched the alternate ending ... ugh. It came out of left field and felt like it was slapped on at the last minute. The HK theatrical ending provided the proper denouement for the story and is definitely superior.

For anyone who's wondering, the ending shown in Hong Kong movie houses was not acceptable to the Mainland Chinese government. (Highlight the text below for the reason -- please note that it contains a SPOILER.)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) The Mainland wasn't fond of the idea of a central character with gang ties going unpunished (by the law, at least).
An alternate ending had to be shot for the movie to be released in Mainland China. Both endings are available on the 2-disc SE Megastar DVD, which uses seamless branching so you can view the film uninterrupted regardless of the ending you select.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.