AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a new receiver. I am on a budget so I decided to keep my speakers for now. I know they probably aren't the best. Heres some info

Satellite

Woofer 3.5" shielded

Power Rating Use w/amps rated between 15 - 80 watts RMS

Frequency Response 200Hz - 20kHz

Feature 1 MINUETTE SATELLITES (2)

Tweeter 0.5" polycarbonate w/acoustic lens

Nominal Impedance Compatible w/8 ohms

Sensitivity 87dB @ 1watt/1meter

Crossover Frequency(ies) 5kHz

Center Channel

Woofer 3.5" shielded

Power Rating Use w/amps rated between 15 - 80 watts RMS

Frequency Response 150Hz - 20kHz

Feature 1 MINUETTE CENTER

Tweeter 0.5" polycarbonate w/acoustic lens

Nominal Impedance compatible w/8 ohms

Crossover Frequency(ies) 5kHz

With that said I just found this info on the site. These are rated 15-80 watts...What would happen if I hook up a 100w per channel receiver to these??? How would this work? If this is the case, i will have to get the onkyo receiver for the most part right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone know about speaker wattage? If a receiver says 100watts/channel, Is it constant 100 watts or does the wattage go up with the sound??? Any help would be appreciated. IF these speakers are limiting the choice of receivers, I will get maybe the S790 onkyo if I have very few receivers to choose from

·
Registered
30,815 Posts
These speakers have no bass below 150Hz. This means that any sub used with them will have to extend up into the range where it will be audible and localizable. They seem to be really minimal (as are the specs) and frankly inadequate for anything serious. Is there a subwoofer with them?

Also, the 100w is the maximum rated output but it is varied by the program material and the volume control.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

These speakers have no bass below 150Hz. This means that any sub used with them will have to extend up into the range where it will be audible and localizable. They seem to be really minimal (as are the specs) and frankly inadequate for anything serious. Is there a subwoofer with them?

Also, the 100w is the maximum rated output but it is varied by the program material and the volume control.

Just a Sony subwoofer from a old HTIB.....Would the Onkyo S790 HTIB for 299 or so be a upgrade?

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPFla /forum/post/0

Just a Sony subwoofer from a old HTIB.....Would the Onkyo S790 HTIB for 299 or so be a upgrade?

Frankly, I have no idea about these speakers since I have never seen or heard them. However, the fault lies not with the subs but with having main speakers that cannot reproduce low enough. Any sub, regardless of size or cost, will be localizable if it has to play so high up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

Frankly, I have no idea about these speakers since I have never seen or heard them. However, the fault lies not with the subs but with having main speakers that cannot reproduce low enough. Any sub, regardless of size or cost, will be localizable if it has to play so high up.

Thanks for the response man....Well I got those speakers about 10 years ago as a open box by at Sound advice.

I don't have a huge budget...Do you recommend the HT-790 from Onkyo??? I realize the speakers may not be top of the line but I can upgrade at a later time...

·
Registered
30,815 Posts
I cannot help you as I have no knowledge about HTIBs. My preference would be to spend what you can on 2 decent speakers now, using what is left over for the surrounds/subs and upgrading the rest when you can. But that's just me................................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.