AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to do a dual drive upgrade. The first thing I did was to make a backup of the first partition of the replay drive. When the dual drive upgrade didn't work, I wanted to try to get things back to their original state. Simply putting the original drive back in resulted in the RoD. So, I copied the backup file to my Replay drive using:

dd if=/mnt/replay.bak of=/dev/hdd1 bs=1024 count=320000

As far as I can tell, it worked. However, now when I put the drive into the Replay unit, it just sits on "Please Wait a Few Moments..." and never does anything. I think the jumpers are set correctly. They look like this:

XYY0-

X-----

Where the X's are one jumper, the Y's are a jumper, the O is the empty spot, and the -'s are open pins.

I even tried to use other jumper settings, but to no avail. Any tips for me would be greatly appreciated.

One last question: What would a low level format do for me? If I do that and then copy that 320000, do you think that would help?

Thanks,

Neill

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try unplugging the unit after the disks spin down, that seems to work with me when i had a similar situation

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Neill,

You need to set the drive to master according to the picture on the hard disk itself.

Your disk jumpers may be different than this.

Maxtor should be

XYY0 [power connector]

X000

Quantum should be

X000 [power connector]

X000

I believe you need to run RTVPatch and perform the patch after mirroring the image to set the second partition size. The RTVPatch should show the hard disk as a replay disk patched when you are done.

Low level format has differant meanings depending on the drive manufacturer. When talking about Maxtor the LLF (or zero out as it is sometimes called), writes data to every space on the disk and marks bad sectors preventing their use. LLF/zero out is used to remove all data and return the disk to the best state possible. The disk image can then be mirrored back onto the disk from your previously created backup disk. In your case unless you were having data errors it isn't necessary to do.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Neill, How are you making out with your replay?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi MikeBoy,

Perhaps the jumpers are not the problem. No matter where I put them it doesn't work. I'm 99% certain that they are correct (as you diagramed).

I was reading somewhere that I might need to run RTVPatch after copying that backup file?

At this point, I don't care about saving the shows that were saved on the disk. So if I can get it working again, at any cost, I'll do that.

I also just installed Linux on one of my computers, so maybe the Linux Patch program will be more helpful than the command line bootdisk Patch utility.

I am thinking that I'll connect the Replay Maxtor drive to the computer, boot to Linux, and run the utility. Perhaps with some advice from you, it will work. :)

Thanks for helping!

Neill

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The linux script backup worrys me in that (at least in my experience) You never know when the 302 meg replay.bak file is complete. There is no prompt. That's one thing you can check that your replay.bak file is 302 megs in size. If it's less then you don't have a complete backup image to work with. When you mirror the image back on the drive you should get a file in and out message that comforts you the transfer is complete. Then you patch the drive. Win2000 GUI is so easy and fool proof. Irecommend that option. Make sure you unplug the AC current to replay or the contents of the hard drive will be written to and you'll have to start all over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh gosh, I had a busy week and my ReplayTV was sitting across the room in pieces. Finally I'm ready to put some time into it again. I don't have Windows2000, but I do have Linux. I was looking for the Linux X-Windows Utility, but I can't find it. Anyone know where to download it?

Neill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help mikeboy!

I finally got a copy of win2k and used the patch. it worked instantly and my replaytv is back to it's original state. I'm just appreciative of having it work at all at this point!

Neill

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Great glad you got it back working. Too often we try to help someone and never hear how it turns out. Thanks for filling us in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My PV2000 is rebooting over and over after about 30 minutes after any type of reset, like 777.

I figure rather than spending $120 in labor to have them fix up the 30gig drive, I could but in a much larger drive. But I need a good image of the first partition. Warranty expires in January.

Would anyone be willing to FTP a copy of there PV2000 image.

Thanks,

Keith
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.