AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I have come a long way with the help of you folks on the boards here. My eyes do feel like they will soon start bleeding, but for good reason.

My intention was to get a 5.1 system that is better than your typical HTIB. My budget is/was $600, but that is flexible by about $100-200. This would only be for the 5 speakers and woofer. I have a recv'r and DVD player.

The two main options I am tossing around are:

5 infinity beta 20s (two rears wall mounted. If one of them falls, it will probably kill someone...)

dayton sub

or...

The Speaker Company TST1 or TST2 package

If some of you experienced audioholics could lend your knowledge, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Andrew.... no matter WHAT anyone else says.... the sound of a speaker is subjective. Especially in your own room. No one can TELL you which speaker is going to sound best on your gear, in your room, by listening with your own ears. It's simply not going to happen. You could get ten people say they like one of those brands and two to say the others "sound better." Which are going to sound better to YOU? No one can know that except you.

Order/buy the front L/R mains only and compare them A/B on your own gear. Return the ones you care for the least and then fill out the rest of your system. All you'll be out is a few $$$ in shipping or restock fees. Who knows, they may BOTH sound like dog doo doo to you. Wouldn't it be better to spend a bit of time and a few $$$ to find out before spending your entire budget in advance?

I just don't understand why folks will spend hours and hours and hours on the boards and doing research, then not want to spend a single minuite actually auditioning. It just doesn't make sense to me. Before your eyes start to bleed, do yourself a favor and actually do some auditioning. You'll be glad you did.... I promise.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
I would reconsider Beta 20s as on the wall. They are rear ported, and yes while you COULD plug the ports, you could just go with a front ported or sealed design. The Infinity Primus P162, for example, sound very similar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think it would make a huge difference to wall mount the beta 20s in the rear. Since they're rear speakers the bass extension is not as important, especially if they're plugged, (not a lot of bass comes from the rear speakers either) as the fronts where the speakers definitely should be given some space.

All this aside, I would recommend the Beta 20s. They're definitely a great sounding speaker. Although someone already pointed it out I'll say it again, make sure to make your own judgements about which speaker sounds best. I personally enjoy the Beta 20s and actually have 2 setups with them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/16929174

Andrew.... no matter WHAT anyone else says.... the sound of a speaker is subjective. Especially in your own room. No one can TELL you which speaker is going to sound best on your gear, in your room, by listening with your own ears. It's simply not going to happen. You could get ten people say they like one of those brands and two to say the others "sound better." Which are going to sound better to YOU? No one can know that except you.

Order/buy the front L/R mains only and compare them A/B on your own gear. Return the ones you care for the least and then fill out the rest of your system. All you'll be out is a few $$$ in shipping or restock fees. Who knows, they may BOTH sound like dog doo doo to you. Wouldn't it be better to spend a bit of time and a few $$$ to find out before spending your entire budget in advance?

I just don't understand why folks will spend hours and hours and hours on the boards and doing research, then not want to spend a single minuite actually auditioning. It just doesn't make sense to me. Before your eyes start to bleed, do yourself a favor and actually do some auditioning. You'll be glad you did.... I promise.

Valid points, and I agree. However, I don't have a local audio store that carries the equipment I am looking to purchase. This would be ideal for me to hear it myself. So, I am trying to learn the general consensus on this board with regards to the aforementioned brands/models. I think it is a safe bet that is most/majority of people agree that ABC setup will work and sounds good, then it will.

I will consider buying, setting up, listening, possibly not liking, repackaging, shipping, waiting for credit, re-purchasing, setting, up, listening....... but that seems a bit tedious. I will if I must, but trying to learn from others here seems a bit more efficient.

Thank you to all who shared your opinion. It is appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Never have heard The Speaker Company speakers.

Do currently own 6 Beta 20's (bought 5, 6th one was sent to me free, yay) and for the money I spent, they were a good buy! I don't recommend putting them on a wall though, instead, put them on stands a couple feet out from the wall. The crossovers are set a bit warm and with the addition of baffle reinforcement by being placed against a wall, it will warm them even more...although it may not be too noticable with them being surrounds.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have heard both and while both are great for what they cost, I truly think the betas are truly the best speaker that can be had for about $50. They are even a step up from the primus line, yet the usually cost less.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The best I can do to help is as follows:

I used to have Beta 40s as my fronts and a Beta c250 in the center. I then bought some Beta 10s to use as surrounds (wall mount). Unfortunately the WAF for that idea turned out to be very low. I then gave in to my nagging impression that I really didn't like the Beta sound all that much. They always left me a little wanting. (For a brief period after I sold the Beta 40s, I used the Beta 10s as an interim front left and right).

All that said, none of them were the Beta 20, so I can't speak to them specifically. Moving on, I now have Swan 2.1SE for L and R. I like them very much. Unfortunately, no matching center available at this time. At first I thought I would just phantom center until the match became available. However, browsing Speaker Company site again, I pulled the trigger on their inexpensive RC1 center speaker.

I have been very impressed with the sound from this speaker. So much so, that I am questioning whether I will even bother buying the 'match' when it becomes available. It integrated very well and sounds great. It sounds much better (IMO) than the Beta c250.

But again, none of the speakers mentioned are the exact speakers you are looking at, but similar. I would not hesitate buying from the Speaker Company again. I would only buy Betas again if they were dirt cheap and I knew I could flip them to someone else for more money. One man's opinion. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I am currently using Beta 20s as my 2 mains and 2 surrounds. They sound fantastic for the price. I had a Beta c250 as the center which I thought sounded great until I upgraded to the c360 (which is gigantic by the way)

I actually have my rears mounted on the wall using a BT-77 Bookshelf Speaker wall Mount. Little tricky with the betas, but works great in my opinion. Gave enough breathing room so I did not have to plug the ports.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
+6 for the betas. Simply cannot be beat for the price, hz to hz. I have a pair in a second room and they're splendid away from the wall.

good luck

James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.