AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What might be the last chapter in this 5.1 setup saga is the receiver. Originally, it was recommended to me to get beta 20s and a yamaha htr 6140. But, I got a great deal on beta 50s (i still need a center and rears) and was wondering if I could stick with this recv'r or if I should look at something else? I'm trying to stay at $200 or under for the recv'r. I see a lot of what seem to be nice, older recv'rs on eBay/ buy.com/closeout sites but don't know what would be best.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16954886

What might be the last chapter in this 5.1 setup saga is the receiver. Originally, it was recommended to me to get beta 20s and a yamaha htr 6140. But, I got a great deal on beta 50s (i still need a center and rears) and was wondering if I could stick with this recv'r or if I should look at something else? I'm trying to stay at $200 or under for the recv'r. I see a lot of what seem to be nice, older recv'rs on eBay/ buy.com/closeout sites but don't know what would be best.

Andrew

There are certainly better receivers out there. But to answer your question, provided the receiver has not been misused to the point of death, it will easily handle the Beta 50's. You just might have a trouble at near deafening levels.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The Beta 50's are fairly efficient and not a particularly demanding speaker. I think that there are certainly better receivers out there, but this should power them just fine unless you want to listen at ear bleed levels.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzoz01 /forum/post/16955136

The Beta 50's are fairly efficient and not a particularly demanding speaker. I think that there are certainly better receivers out there, but this should power them just fine unless you want to listen at ear bleed levels.

Hmm that sounds familiar. No where did I hear something like that b4.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16955222

Do you guys think there is a better receiver for $200 or under that would serve better than this Yamaha?

If not, I'm glad to hear the Yamaha should suffice.

There is this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4&sku=O22-1057

After the 21 bucks for shipping it will cost you a 220 dollars. But with it you get 3 HDMI ports, HD audio, is fully capable of handling your speakers and then some. And of course will allow you to get every ounce out of Blu-Ray HD audio stream.

Otherwise, there is nothing else that I can think of that will be a worthwhile replacement at your 200 price range for a receiver.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was in the same situation as you.

I bought beta 50's and had a Yamaha HTR 5730 & it did not have enough power. The bass was boomy. One of the speakers is too close to the wall & that adds to the boominess.

I went & bought a new Yamaha HTR 6060 & changed nothing else. The speakers stayed in the same place. I noticed a huge difference. The bass was a lot tighter & less boomy.

Look at the last two numbers in the yamaha amp model. 30 is the cheapest & 90 is the most expensive. They go 30, 40, 50, 60, 80, 90.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline /forum/post/16955326

There is this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4&sku=O22-1057

After the 21 bucks for shipping it will cost you a 220 dollars. But with it you get 3 HDMI ports, HD audio, is fully capable of handling your speakers and then some. And of course will allow you to get every ounce out of Blu-Ray HD audio stream.

Otherwise, there is nothing else that I can think of that will be a worthwhile replacement at your 200 price range for a receiver.

The onkyo tx506 doesn't have hd audio processing. The hdmi is just pass thru.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
juiceblrc- thanks for the feedback. I'll keep the model number in mind if I go the yamaha route.

Hmm... The Onkyo sounds great but I think I want/need the audio pass-through in the HDMI. I don't want seperate audio connections.

Is one receiver better than the other when it comes to tune?? Honestly, I don't have any idea of how to tune a receiver and would love something that is known for easy setup.

Is the Onkyo's Audyysey feature like 'god's gift to earth' kinda thing where it automatically adjusts everything? If so, I'll shoot for the Onkyo if the Yamaha doesn't have anything like that.

Thanks!

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16954886

Andrew

Take a look at the
HK AVR 247 . You can get one from Harman on ebay for well under $200. One sold the other day for $125! That is cheap and will run circles around the Onkyo 506/507 someone mentioned. I had a 506 and was not impressed. The 507 is only 5.1.

It will drive your Beta 50s just fine. They have a very similar spec as my Infinity Interlude IL40s - sound similar as well - and I use a 247 to drive them. Sounds just fine. You could go for a 254 - it has the same amp section as the 247 and you will get DD-HD over HDMI which the 247 does not do unless your source can bitstream (does the decoding) to the AVR.

The matching center is the Beta C360 - you could use the Interlude center - the IL36C - uses the very same drivers and might be cheaper. The smaller C250 center is ok - I had one and quickly sold it in favor of the C360.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16957478

Take a look at the
HK AVR 247 . You can get one from Harman on ebay for well under $200. One sold the other day for $125! That is cheap and will run circles around the Onkyo 506/507 someone mentioned. I had a 506 and was not impressed. The 507 is only 5.1.

It will drive your Beta 50s just fine. They have a very similar spec as my Infinity Interlude IL40s - sound similar as well - and I use a 247 to drive them. Sounds just fine. You could go for a 254 - it has the same amp section as the 247 and you will get DD-HD over HDMI which the 247 does not do unless your source can bitstream (does the decoding) to the AVR.

The matching center is the Beta C360 - you could use the Interlude center - the IL36C - uses the very same drivers and might be cheaper. The smaller C250 center is ok - I had one and quickly sold it in favor of the C360.

Just won a 247 for $190! Nice. I'm scoring left and right. Now I need to grab that C360 for $170.

Quick question though.... does the HK 247 process HD sound (is that what comes from BlueRay? Is all other sound just 'regular') through HDMI? I think it will do everything I need it to.

Thanks for the advice!

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16963877

Just won a 247 for $190! Nice. I'm scoring left and right. Now I need to grab that C360 for $170.

Quick question though.... does the HK 247 process HD sound (is that what comes from BlueRay? Is all other sound just 'regular') through HDMI? I think it will do everything I need it to.

Thanks for the advice!

The 247 does not decode HD audio formats. If your BluRay player can bitstream over HDMI then you will have the Dolby HD format as the player controls the sound to each speaker. Otherwise you are stuck in DD and DTS which isn't a bad thing.

The C360 is still available.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16964128

The 247 does not decode HD audio formats. If your BluRay player can bitstream over HDMI then you will have the Dolby HD format as the player controls the sound to each speaker. Otherwise you are stuck in DD and DTS which isn't a bad thing.

The C360 is still available.

I'm fine with that.

Do you think I can paint the C360 black? That Cherry wood look isn't sitting right with me...

BTW-- do you think the 247 was a wise choice over the yamaha 6140?

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16964164

I'm fine with that.

Do you think I can paint the C360 black? That Cherry wood look isn't sitting right with me...

BTW-- do you think the 247 was a wise choice over the yamaha 6140?

Second guessing your AVR choice already? I don't know for sure whats best for you - my 247 works great for my bedroom setup. I like the sound just fine. Yamaha has been known to fudge on their power specs at time but I really don't know anything about the 6140 AVR. The 247 has preamp output jacks should you ever want to experiment with an external amp - don't know if the Yamaha has that.

As for painting the C360 - why not? You'll vooid the warranty but if it works out of the box it'll probably give you years of trouble free service. You could also just put a black cloth over it if its a distraction. I picked up some matte black paint a few months ago and painted a new shelf I put into the entertainment center - it matched up very well with the existing paint - took 2 coats but worked very well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16964220

Second guessing your AVR choice already? I don't know for sure whats best for you - my 247 works great for my bedroom setup. I like the sound just fine. Yamaha has been known to fudge on their power specs at time but I really don't know anything about the 6140 AVR. The 247 has preamp output jacks should you ever want to experiment with an external amp - don't know if the Yamaha has that.

As for painting the C360 - why not? You'll vooid the warranty but if it works out of the box it'll probably give you years of trouble free service. You could also just put a black cloth over it if its a distraction. I picked up some matte black paint a few months ago and painted a new shelf I put into the entertainment center - it matched up very well with the existing paint - took 2 coats but worked very well.

Man, I bought it on a whim! Took your advice
I am sure it will be fine. I didn't really get a chance to look at all the features, but I dont need a wireless bluetooth this, and XM that. I want quality sound and I am sure that is what I will get.

Yeah, I'll paint the sucker. Cherry wood has got to go. I've seen pics of setups with beta 50s and C360. Not bad. Not ginormous. Looks good.

If you get a chance, I posted a link in this forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16964385

I need some help on where to put the rear speakers. I think I might need smaller, maneuverable rears. looks like they have to be mounted way above head.

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts
Take a look at the Emotiva ERD-1s . Great sounding speakers - comes as a pair - and come with wall mounting brackets at no extra charge.

I have a pair of them - they are an amazing speaker - they will have no problem keeping up with those Beta 50s. They are rated 4 ohm - don't worry about that. I drove 3 ERM-1s which are also rated 4 ohms and use the same drivers as the ERD-1s with my 247 for two weeks during an in-home audition and had no problems with the 247 overheating. The ERDs do not stick out very far so the WAF should be high. Just show her how large your other choices are such as the Beta 20s! The are big compared to the ERDs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16965920

Take a look at the Emotiva ERD-1s . Great sounding speakers - comes as a pair - and come with wall mounting brackets at no extra charge.

I have a pair of them - they are an amazing speaker - they will have no problem keeping up with those Beta 50s. They are rated 4 ohm - don't worry about that. I drove 3 ERM-1s which are also rated 4 ohms and use the same drivers as the ERD-1s with my 247 for two weeks during an in-home audition and had no problems with the 247 overheating. The ERDs do not stick out very far so the WAF should be high. Just show her how large your other choices are such as the Beta 20s! The are big compared to the ERDs.

About 2hrs ago I bought a pair of Primus 142s. $120 out the door. I like the Emotivas. They look a bit more sleek/flush. Not as deep. But, I'm sure the Primus will work. Thanks for the heads up.

So... I have the Beta 50s, C360, Primus 142s, and HK 247. I think I am ready to go.

Now I just need for my TV to get here and Escrow to close and I will be a happy man

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16965971

About 2hrs ago I bought a pair of Primus 142s. $120 out the door. I like the Emotivas. They look a bit more sleek/flush. Not as deep. But, I'm sure the Primus will work. Thanks for the heads up.

So... I have the Beta 50s, C360, Primus 142s, and HK 247. I think I am ready to go.

Now I just need for my TV to get here and Escrow to close and I will be a happy man

You have a great sounding setup there. The Primus is an excellent choice for surrounds - they are front ported and are small enough that they aren't a threat to anyone under them. The Beta 20s would have been a little much to mount.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.