AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a full Infinty BETA series setup. I need some more knowledgable input to help me make a decision.


Here is what I was thinking:


Fronts: BETA 40's or 50's Center-->FL because it goes from 8->6.5->8"??? I plan on getting the CSW10 sub and that should create some prtty good bass, so I am not so sure I need the 50's then. It seems like I sort of have my mind made up, I just want some other input.


I don't need recomendations on other Brands..they have to be Infinity, because I get massive discounts and price differance is not an issue between 40's and 50's.


I want to drive all the speakers with either the HK AVR635 or AVR 7300 if this helps any. I am not sure what reciever to choose yet, due to not knowing if I will be driving 8" or 6.5" for the fronts...But I should really post that question in the other forum.


So what do you all think....40's or 50's????? (be gentle, this is my first post here :p )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
If it were me and the price difference was not an issue, I would go with the 50's. A lot depends on how you will be using your system. Will it be used more for music or movies or about the same for each? If it's mainly for movies, it won't make as much difference because your sub will be handling most of the bass frequencies.


If you'll be using it a lot for music listening, it depends on how you listen to music. I like to listen to music with 2 channels only. Therefore I like having relatively large full range speakers as my mains. To me the music has a more seamless quality than when I try to integrate a sub into the mix. But some people like using their subs for music as well as movies. If you prefer this, the size of your mains become less critical.


As for your concern about the size of the drivers being the same with the 40's and not the 50's, I wouldn't worry about this. All of the speakers in the Beta series are design to work together. The larger woofers in the 50's just mean they will go a bit lower in the low frequencies. The timbre will still be matched.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
As a long-time Infinity owner I would definitely go with the 50s. If only to help your sub, which probably won't be able to keep up, especially if you like loud. I'm not familiar with the receivers, but I do know that the more power the better (200 wpc or more for the front L/R).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
I had a hard time making the same decision as you, and went with the 50's and haven't looked back. These speakers are a helluva value for the price you pay. In my opinion they hang with many speakers that cost twice as much!

There is a new review on the Beta's at:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speaker...s/805infinity/


I would also suggest considering the ES250's for your side surrounds, and maybe even buying a third which can act as your two rear surrounds. Bipole/dipole/monopole all in one speaker. Great flexibility, and they sound great with the 50's and the C360. This system does well with both theater and music, in my opinion, and as a previous poster mentioned, the 50's will do you better for 2 channel music. Good luck with your decision!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauod
I had a hard time making the same decision as you, and went with the 50's and haven't looked back. These speakers are a helluva value for the price you pay. In my opinion they hang with many speakers that cost twice as much!
As I said, Price is no big deal, I get a supplier disount, so they are really cheap for me. I just want what is best together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauod
I would also suggest considering the ES250's for your side surrounds, and maybe even buying a third which can act as your two rear surrounds. Bipole/dipole/monopole all in one speaker. Great flexibility, and they sound great with the 50's and the C360. This system does well with both theater and music, in my opinion, and as a previous poster mentioned, the 50's will do you better for 2 channel music. Good luck with your decision!
I thought about the ES250's, but I think proper placement of the 4 BETA 20's would be better. And the whole switch modes and stuff, seems like it could be a pain. And I don't like the fact that the 2 sides are not sperated in the cabinet.. seems like a real bad Idea to run 2 different channels in the same enclosure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHog
If it were me and the price difference was not an issue, I would go with the 50's. A lot depends on how you will be using your system. Will it be used more for music or movies or about the same for each? If it's mainly for movies, it won't make as much difference because your sub will be handling most of the bass frequencies.
I would say 90% TV/Movies, but the wife really like to crank up some music when I'm not home, so the music part is more for her. And I really hate music through most HT setups and would like to be able to have a good stereo setup as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHog
As for your concern about the size of the drivers being the same with the 40's and not the 50's, I wouldn't worry about this. All of the speakers in the Beta series are design to work together. The larger woofers in the 50's just mean they will go a bit lower in the low frequencies. The timbre will still be matched.
This was my main concern! It makes sense that the entire series would be matched, but I can't get the picture out of my head of all the $40,000 HT setups out there using all the same size main/woofer speakers so they are all the same sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Get the 12 inch infinity subs with 500w amplifer and RABOS, if possible ...
I've read many places that the 10" 650W sub is actually much better. What are your reasons for suggesting the 12"


BTW, the 10" has the RABOS as well, and the 10" is more $(you get what you pay for)


SW12 Frequency Response (±3dB): 28Hz – 150Hz (– 3dB), 24Hz – 150kHz (– 6dB)


CSW10CH Frequency Response (±3dB): 22Hz – 150Hz (– 3dB), 20Hz – 150kHz (– 6dB)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
The H/K receivers pair nicely with Infinity speakers. However, I'll be driving my Betas when they arrive today with the Panny XR55. I know I'll need to set the treble to -4 to tone down the brightness of the receiver with these speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje
The H/K receivers pair nicely with Infinity speakers.
I still don't know if I want the 7300 or go with a bit less power and get all the new features of the 635.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
295 Posts
I went with the 635 and Im very happy. By the time you spend the extra money for the 7300 (Assuming your getting a brand new one) You can have a good chunk saved for a 5 or 7 channel amp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms
Nice to see some love for the Infinity line. Usually don't see much of that here.
if it wasn't for the HUGE ridiculus discount I get, I wouldn't be interested in HK/Infinity. I can't pass up the savings and justify spending way over twice as much to get up to the same level from another brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer
I thought about the ES250's, but I think proper placement of the 4 BETA 20's would be better. And the whole switch modes and stuff, seems like it could be a pain. And I don't like the fact that the 2 sides are not sperated in the cabinet.. seems like a real bad Idea to run 2 different channels in the same enclosure.
The more I read about speakers, the more I get confused and the more questions I have. I have been reading a lot about the dipole speakers compared to direct fire, and they seem like the ES250's might be a solid choice for side surrounds. Some even use one ES250 in the rear for the rear channels. The thing that I keep seeing is that all the magazines that reviewed the "BETA Series" chose the ES250's as side surrounds(they also choose the 50's for the Fronts, so that might help the original question I had). I just don't know anymore. I really havn't found a store around here that has ALL of the beta series to try out. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,372 Posts
I would use three Beta 40s up front for a consistent soundstage. Second choice would be the 40/C360 combo.


The additional 10 - 15 Hz of bass extension that the 50s have will be wasted since it falls into the frequency range that will most likely be reproduced by your subwoofer. I think it's better to minimize the redundancy and stick to the Beta 40s.


For the rear speakers, the Beta 20s will be fine. Heck, if this were my system I'd grab seven Beta 20s and a couple of decent subwoofers and be done with it. Like I said, the lowest frequencies will be reproduced by the subs anyway.


For the side speakers, my choice would depend on how close those speakers would be to the nearest listeners. If the listeners on either end of the couch will be within a few feet of the side speakers, then I would consider dipoles. This way, the listeners sit in the speakers' null (quiet zone) and receive mostly reflected sound and very little direct sound. Nothing more distracting than a direct-firing speaker shouting into one of your ears from a couple of feet away. If the side speakers are going to be, like, 5 or more feet away (take height into account) then I'd go with another pair of 20s.


Good Luck,

Sanjay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer
I've read many places that the 10" 650W sub is actually much better. What are your reasons for suggesting the 12"


BTW, the 10" has the RABOS as well, and the 10" is more $(you get what you pay for)


SW12 Frequency Response (±3dB): 28Hz – 150Hz (– 3dB), 24Hz – 150kHz (– 6dB)


CSW10CH Frequency Response (±3dB): 22Hz – 150Hz (– 3dB), 20Hz – 150kHz (– 6dB)
You seem to have a valid point, that 10" looks sweet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
I would use three Beta 40s up front for a consistent soundstage. Second choice would be the 40/C360 combo.


The additional 10 - 15 Hz of bass extension that the 50s have will be wasted since it falls into the frequency range that will most likely be reproduced by your subwoofer. I think it's better to minimize the redundancy and stick to the Beta 40s.
This is what our Audio Test engineer said also... Go with the 40's/360 combo because they are all the same 6.5" main speaker.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
For the rear speakers, the Beta 20s will be fine. Heck, if this were my system I'd grab seven Beta 20s and a couple of decent subwoofers and be done with it. Like I said, the lowest frequencies will be reproduced by the subs anyway.


For the side speakers, my choice would depend on how close those speakers would be to the nearest listeners. If the listeners on either end of the couch will be within a few feet of the side speakers, then I would consider dipoles. This way, the listeners sit in the speakers' null (quiet zone) and receive mostly reflected sound and very little direct sound. Nothing more distracting than a direct-firing speaker shouting into one of your ears from a couple of feet away. If the side speakers are going to be, like, 5 or more feet away (take height into account) then I'd go with another pair of 20s.
This is for my living room, so the end of the couch listener will be less than 4 feet from the speaker, maybe even 3'. But the rears would end up being really close to the couch. Right now I have the back of the couch about 1.5-2 feet away from the back wall and about 3-4 feet on each side, but there are chairs on each end of the couch, sort of making a U shape. Hope this helps a bit. I can post a drawing tonight sometime.


Thanks for your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
You seem to have a valid point, that 10" looks sweet!
I couldn't believe it either, but all the reviews can't be wrong. Too bad I can't find a place to listen to all this stuff in the Ann Arbor/ SE Michigan area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
Quote:
if it wasn't for the HUGE ridiculus discount I get, I wouldn't be interested in HK/Infinity. I can't pass up the savings and justify spending way over twice as much to get up to the same level from another brand.
Are you saying that you really don't care what speakers you get as long as it's a good deal. I really like the sound of Infinity speakers. You may not. So far I haven't found anything in your comments or replies that indicate that you even know what you're getting other than model numbers and woofer sizes. Sorry, Big Worm, but I don't think Infinity love applies here. More of a one night stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
You might reconsider what you choose for the fronts. My Beta 20s arrived today. With a sub, they perform oh so sweet. I couldn't imagine owning the Beta 40s or 50s. The 20s do such an impressive job. Plus, the C360 is a killer - literally. At 35 Lbs., it's chewing up all the shelf space I have. However, I watched part of the Aviator and the dialogue was most excellent.


Seriously, the Beta 20s do a tremendous job for the front. I have mine mounted on 24" speaker stands to keep the tweeters at the right height. For anyone who's owned lesser quality bookshelf speakers, I can understand the desire to move up to better towers. But, I feel that the Beta 20s are worth a listen to as they might exceed your expectations. Even with mine crossed over at 80Hz, there's still bass pumping out of the rear port.


This is the 3rd pair of Infinity speakers that I've owned. They really have done well for my uses. I'm not sure why more people don't consider them. Essentially, most of the reviews reflect them in a good light.


In 2-channel mode, augumented by my subs, the jazz I have on is very, very satisfying from a sound perspective.


The only negative thing I'll have to say is, I really wish I had these sooner.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top