AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im upgrading my speaker system and Im thinking about going w/ the Infinity Cascades. I was wondering if the Cascade 5's would work good for Left and Front channel speakers.

Also I still have an older HK model receiver DPR 1001. Would this receiver be able to run the Cascade 5 and the Cascade Center Channel w/ no problem or should I upgrade the Receiver also?

Specs for DPR 1001

Detailed Specifications:

Power (WPC) 50 x 7

THD 80%

Specs for Cascade 5:

Color Black

Crossover Frequency 1800Hz

Frequency Response 100Hz - 20,000Hz

Impedance 8 ohms

Sensitivity 85dB

Speaker Type On-Wall, Bookshelf Speaker, 2-Way

Tweeter Size (Inches) 1

Woofer Size (Inches) 7.75

Specs for Cascade 3 C:Frequency Reponse 72 Hz - 40000 kHz

Sensitivity 87 dB

Impedance 8 ohm

Bi-amping With Bi-amping

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
I just bought 3 Cascade 3v's for the LCR and a pair of the 5's for surround speakers. At the prices Harman's ebay store is selling these speakers for it's a fire sale.

The Cascades are a very detail oriented speaker - especially in the mid range. And as always the CMMD tweeter is as good as a tweeter gets. I've owned 3 generations of Infinity speakers with the CMMD tweeter and never tire of hearing the rich detailed sounds that come out of them.

As for the mid-woofers - they certainly are different being a flat panel speaker. They have a very fast response to quick sounds like a fast snare drum.

If you have the opprotunity to audition them don't hesitate. These are a great sounding speaker. I put my 5.0 set together for under $1K - an awesome bargain IMO.

You'll need a competent sub to go with these speakers - the dual woofers - the 9's - 3 (center) and 3v's play down to 80hz and the single woofers - 7's and 5's only to 100hz - all with a -3db roll off.

They are designed as a true home theater speaker but with a good sub can do music very well. I'm very happy with these - I just don't like the cheesy grilles Infinity threw on these - more of an afterthought than grilles. I've stored the grilles away - I like the speakers 'bare'. I don't have little ones around - if you do either wall mount well out of reach or consider buying a different speaker.

I think you'd be able to drive the Cascades with that receiver ok but you may want to look at adding an external amp for the front three if that HK has preamp outs. I have an Integra DHC 40.1 and Emotiva UPA-7 amp so I don't lack for power but these aren't the most efficient speaker made today. It takes a bit of power to get the best out of these Cascades.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
My Father has (4) Cascade 9 speakers with the Center 3. It is a really kick-ass system IMO. I too am a fan of the CMMD tweeter and really like the sound of Infinity speakers. Considering the 9's were $1000/each, the deals on Cascade series are really good today.

You will absolutely need a sub with any of the Cascade speakers. Not that you wouldn't with any speaker that is similar in size to them. Their form factor and easy wall mounting make them an attractive option for many. Agree with Knucklehead and the grills suck on them. Thankfully they don't need them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Noobie here....what is the deal with the Infinity Cascade speakers? They show up on the Infinity Systems website, but are shown as discontinued on the website of my closest authorized dealer (B&H Photo)! I don't see an active discussion thread here! I was planning on getting them to go with the Pioneer 1020, but now.....

@Knucklehead90: the speakers on sale at eBay by Harmon Audio - each listing (of the 3V's) is for a pair or a single speaker? The image shows two, but I think its for 1 speaker. I sent a question to the seller, but I doubt I will get a response.

I am looking for a L & R to start off and I might add a sub and center later. I might not get surrounds in the near term. Any other speaker suggestions?

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Harman Audio sells them as a single speaker. If you are interested in them you should buy at least 3 as they will likely not be available once Harman runs out of the refurbished ones. I'd suggest the 3V in silver - seems those are the most available model - and they are very similar to the 9s - just shorter and are designed more like a center channel - in fact I use 3 of them for my front 3. The 3V works great as a center so you don't need to worry about getting one. Price of the 3Vs are dipping some - I've seen them go for as low as $150. Quite a bargain at that price.

For surrounds you could maybe find the Cascade 5 used. Any Infinity speaker with the CMMD tweeter will sound very close timbre wise. This includes Interludes - Betas - Alphas (with the 1" tweeter) - Classia - and of course the Prelude MTS which started the CMMD driver line.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
These things are really going on a firesale, I got an Infinity Cascade 12 ($699 retail) for $170 and an Infinity Cascade 15 (1499 retail) for $280!!

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite /forum/post/18584469

These things are really going on a firesale, I got an Infinity Cascade 12 ($699 retail) for $170 and an Infinity Cascade 15 (1499 retail) for $280!!

If I didn't already have a sub for my 2 channel setup I'd snag one of those 12s. I already have the 15 - what a monster. Its as heavy as my eD A5-350 and in a smaller package.

How does the 12 perform as compared to the 15? The 15 plays music much better than my A5 - but doesn't go nearly as low - 18hz vs 32 is no contest but for around $300 or so it is a quality buy. I combine the two for movies and the house really shakes and rattles.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi,

Are these speakers any good then? How do they sound with movies if one were to have the cascade 3's as L/C/R? Do you think they will a clear sound with good dynamics?

Bazzy!

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy /forum/post/18618231

Hi,

Are these speakers any good then? How do they sound with movies if one were to have the cascade 3's as L/C/R? Do you think they will a clear sound with good dynamics?

Bazzy!

As long as you have a good sub these are incredible. I replaced a 5.0 set of speakers that cost me $2300 for these and I'm not looking back. The price for these refurbished from Harman Audio on ebay is nothing short of fantastic. I'm thinking of getting another pair of the 3Vs and move the smaller 5s into the bedroom for my 2 channel music setup.

I assume you are referring to the 3V for L/C/R? I'm using three of them across the front and they work fantastic. The waveguide is a bit narrow for center duty but I have a narrow room so it doesn't affect the sound quality one bit.

My setup is the 3Vs across the front with a pair of Cascade 5s for surrounds and the Cascade 15 sub. I also have a larger sub for movies - an Elemental Designs A5-350. I use the 15 for music and movies too. If you will only be using a single sub I suggest you get a better sub than the 15 - it only goes down to 32hz - not enough for good movie effects.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/18618390

As long as you have a good sub these are incredible. I replaced a 5.0 set of speakers that cost me $2300 for these and I'm not looking back. The price for these refurbished from Harman Audio on ebay is nothing short of fantastic. I'm thinking of getting another pair of the 3Vs and move the smaller 5s into the bedroom for my 2 channel music setup.

I assume you are referring to the 3V for L/C/R? I'm using three of them across the front and they work fantastic. The waveguide is a bit narrow for center duty but I have a narrow room so it doesn't affect the sound quality one bit.

My setup is the 3Vs across the front with a pair of Cascade 5s for surrounds and the Cascade 15 sub. I also have a larger sub for movies - an Elemental Designs A5-350. I use the 15 for music and movies too. If you will only be using a single sub I suggest you get a better sub than the 15 - it only goes down to 32hz - not enough for good movie effects.

Hi,

Do you think having 3V's across the front (L/C/R) that they would sound better than a L/C/R of Orb Mod 4's?

I have two pretty decent subs - REL Q200E's - think they will be good enough? I really would like these but being based in England, I do not think it will be feasible as the shipping costs would be extortionately high & then I would have to pay all the duties, charges, taxes etc on top of that! Any of you fine Yanks who have had to suffer that God awful stuff you guys call "beer" over there planning to visit England anytime soon for some real brew? I was kinda hoping you would bring these across the pond for me!

Bazzy!

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy /forum/post/18618502

Hi,

Do you think having 3V's across the front (L/C/R) that they would sound better than a L/C/R of Orb Mod 4's?

I have two pretty decent subs - REL Q200E's - think they will be good enough? I really would like these but being based in England, I do not think it will be feasible as the shipping costs would be extortionately high & then I would have to pay all the duties, charges, taxes etc on top of that! Any of you fine Yanks who have had to suffer that God awful stuff you guys call "beer" over there planning to visit England anytime soon for some real brew? I was kinda hoping you would bring these across the pond for me!

Bazzy!

I mostly drink whiskey - American whiskey not that blended Canadian crap!

Sometimes I drink beer - Red Hook Ale is pretty good. So are some of the Samuel Adams ales. Not all American beer is like Budweiser.

Yeah - all those pesky charges would add up. As for someone bringing them to you - good luck.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy /forum/post/18618502

Hi, God awful stuff you guys call "beer" over there

There are quite a few awesome breweries here.

My favorites include Boulevard in Kansas City, Avery in Boulder, CO, Ommegang in NY somewhere, and Goose Island in Chicago and are good enough to make me proud to drink domestic.

At my wedding, I drank Avery Mephistopheles (imperial stout) instead of champagne. It's a world class brew.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well it looks like Vanns just got a supply of new Cascades, only black, pretty heavily discounted. I bought one 5 in black on ebay, but the blacks are tough to get and I want the 9s for the fronts, so Vanns it is.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi!

Well, I finally bought some of these Cascade3's after a friend in Texas assured me he would pay for me as a US CC owner is required I could have them sent to his place & I could either pick them up on my next visit to the US or he would bring them for me when he visits the UK at Christmas time & I would him the money via bank transfer or send him money via Paypal.

Soon as I had bought them, he changed his mind!!! Arghh!! I really want these speakers and am prepared to wait a while to receive them but can anyone suggest how else I can pay for them from the UK - they will not accept non-US credit cards or non US Paypal payments & payment has to be made in 3 days!

Bazzy!

·
Registered
576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy /forum/post/18626216

Hi!

Well, I finally bought some of these Cascade3's after a friend in Texas assured me he would pay for me as a US CC owner is required I could have them sent to his place & I could either pick them up on my next visit to the US or he would bring them for me when he visits the UK at Christmas time & I would him the money via bank transfer or send him money via Paypal.

Soon as I had bought them, he changed his mind!!! Arghh!! I really want these speakers and am prepared to wait a while to receive them but can anyone suggest how else I can pay for them from the UK - they will not accept non-US credit cards or non US Paypal payments & payment has to be made in 3 days!

Bazzy!

I think you can use paypal with ebay.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 /forum/post/18627473

I think you can use paypal with ebay.

Hi,

Unfortunately, Harman will not accept payment from non US Paypal account or take payment from a non US issued credit card for some reason.

Bazzy!

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy /forum/post/18629485

Hi,

Unfortunately, Harman will not accept payment from non US Paypal account or take payment from a non US issued credit card for some reason.

Bazzy!

Thats too bad. The more I listen to these the more I'm convinced I've found my speaker setup for a very long time.

We shall see.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/18587748

If I didn't already have a sub for my 2 channel setup I'd snag one of those 12s. I already have the 15 - what a monster. Its as heavy as my eD A5-350 and in a smaller package.

How does the 12 perform as compared to the 15? The 15 plays music much better than my A5 - but doesn't go nearly as low - 18hz vs 32 is no contest but for around $300 or so it is a quality buy. I combine the two for movies and the house really shakes and rattles.

I think the problem with both the 12 and the 15 is that it seems like their output is really low. What I mean is, in the middle dial position (which you would typically think is "normalized" volume) the subs have low output levels.

The 12 seems to suffer from this alot--and I'm not deaf--I'm using the RABOS mic, and the SPL barely registers during normal music playback. It seems to me I have to have the volume dial of the 12s at 75% just to match SPL of a pair of bookshelf speakers.

I don't like the auto-power thing either...it seems to go on and off during movies and songs that don't seem to have much bass playback. Most subs have an "on" and "auto" mode; the Cascades only have a auto mode, so sometimes you get a sudden sound spike when the sub comes on.

Comparatively at the current ebay pricing, I think the 15s are a very good deal...my current impression is, the 12s aren't that good. I don't think my 12 is faulty, because the 15 exhibits the same characteristics (just less severe because it has 4 drivers), so it would be too much of a coincidence that both of them are defective.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
I get a soft pop when the 15 comes on. I don't mind - for what I paid for it I can put up with that. But it does have plenty of power. I watched the first hour of Avatar tonight without my other sub on - its an Elemental Designs A5-350. The cascade 15 is quite capable of some serious SPL. It doesn't shake the windows quite like the A5 - and doesn't play as low as the A5 but I bought it mainly for music and it doesn't disappoint in that regard.

Seems like Infinity missed the boat on that soft popping noise when it comes on. I've owned quite a few subs now and never had one that does that before.

Maybe you need to find a better spot for it. Subs can be difficult to locate for best effect. I find the 15 has plenty of SPL. I don't have a sound meter but I know good bass when I hear it and the 15 is quite good.

I take it you have a 12 and a 15?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well, I just got a package deal on two 9's, a 3c, two 5's and a 12 from Vanns. They are really discounting these, not quite as cheap as ebay, but they are not refurbished.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts