AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help from the Forum Guru's!

Currently have Infinity P362 as fronts, PC350 Center, and Bose Cubes in the back hooked up to a HK AVR247, with a AVR 354 due this week. Don't have a sub woofer, don't feel like I need one.

Room size is approx 16x16. Looking for suggestions, 95% Movies, 5% Music. Really like the look on the KEF IQ7/9 series but have no where to audition them. Listened to Definitive speakers at my friends house, these sounded awesome.

Budget is under $1k, the question is will that get me a nice upgrade from the Infinities, which sound pretty good.

Thanks, appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
664 Posts
What are you looking to gain?

Personally, I would look into adding a sub or adding timbre matched surrounds. Even though you think you may not need a sub, trust me you do. Not only will it give you better base response, but you can crossover your speakers.

Regardless I definitely wouldn't change the mains without changing the center as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the chance to move the current setup into a bonus room where my wife teaches dance. If I do that then I'll be needing new fronts.

Before the infinities I had a Bose 5.1, when I switched I used to get headaches from the extra bass the Infinities produced after watching an action movie!!, hence why I haven't purchased a sub. From what I have read on the forum, If I went the KEF route I would definitely need a sub, and I would be over budget =(

The 5% music I listen to is more Dance, specifically Bollywood (Indian Dance tunes)

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
Revel would be a natural upgrade if you like the smooth response of the 362. Both companies are owned by Harman International and the speakers go through the same rigorous testing. Revels range from less compromised to cost-no-object designs. $1,000 should get you a pair of the entry level Concerta series. The drivers are similar to the MMDs used in the Primus, so they may match ok with your center.

Bipolar Definitive Technology are different speakers. All the reflected sound can be pleasing, particularly in stereo. I am not a fan in multichannel setups. For one thing, multichannel music and movies are mastered with conventional forward facing speakers. Odds are you can get closer to the artists' intent by sitting a strong direct soundfield.

In any event, what makes you want to upgrade? Have you addressed room acoustics? that's always a good idea before spending more.

Finally, I would strongly rethink not having a dedicated subwoofer, whatever you decide to do. Yes, your tower speakers produce plenty of bass, but the best location for front main speakers in a room (for imaging) usually isn't the best location for low frequency drivers. With one or two subs, you will cross over the low frequencies from the towers. Low frequencies, incidentally, are those most troublesome in rooms. Plus, for your bass sensitivity, a sub(s) would allow you to fine tune the output level to your liking. You might be sitting in a low frequency boost, for example.

·
Registered
29,118 Posts
I would think the best upgrade for someone who does 95% movies would be the addition of a subwoofer! I can't imagine a dedicated HT setup w/o a sub.

You'd still have money left over for matching Infinity surrounds too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all the input. I'll probably get a used pair of Definitive for my wife's dance school, she only needs 2 channel. I'll leave my HT setup intact while I wait for a deal on some rears and a sub.

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidude /forum/post/16976932

Need some help from the Forum Guru's!

Currently have Infinity P362 as fronts...

Budget is under $1k, the question is will that get me a nice upgrade from the Infinities, which sound pretty good.

At $1k msrp you're not likely to upgrade the P362's at all, and you're at significant risk to do far worse. They're that good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwriter /forum/post/16982626

At $1k msrp you're not likely to upgrade the P362's at all, and you're at significant risk to do far worse. They're that good.

Thanks again, this is the answer I was looking for. I guess I needed confirmation that for my budget what I have is plenty good.

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidude /forum/post/16983232

Thanks again, this is the answer I was looking for. I guess I needed confirmation that for my budget what I have is plenty good.

Yeah, you've chosen one of the best values in audio today. I got a pair of 360's for $300 shipped from Crutchfield b/c of an internet rumor that they were really really good, and b/c I had started reading the white papers on Infinity's site and was impressed with their R&D resources and methodology. There was a guy on this forum named Patrick Hart who was an engineer with Harman and talked about their methodology. He seemed really sharp, and mentioned that they guy who led the designs of the Primus series was one of the engineers he admired most. I was able to corroborate this and even got to meet the guy (the engineer who desinged the 360) on one occasion. They have vast resources and top-notch talent, and are always capable of putting out competitive designs, and some of the other Harman folks I got to talk to (not the engineer himself - he was very humble and down to earth) reinforced the impression that this speaker is an overachiever. Non-Harman experts such as Dr. Geddes have written that speakers are much more than the sum of their parts, and this speaker is a prime example. I was underwhelmed with my $1500 Monitor Audio RS8's, and took them out of the living room minutes after first hearing the P360's.

So when you said that you had $1000 or so to spend, I thought I might as well pass along what I knew. You might indeed find better speakers if you had $1000 to spend, but it's nearly certain that you'd only make a lateral move with some tradeoffs, and it's highly likely that you'd end up with worse.

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae /forum/post/16977568

Revel would be a natural upgrade if you like the smooth response of the 362. Both companies are owned by Harman International and the speakers go through the same rigorous testing. Revels range from less compromised to cost-no-object designs. $1,000 should get you a pair of the entry level Concerta series. The drivers are similar to the MMDs used in the Primus, so they may match ok with your center.

I'd add to this, as having recently purchased a used pair of M22's: if you can get a pair of these for $1k, that would certainly be a way to go. They're fantastic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16978804

I would think the best upgrade for someone who does 95% movies would be the addition of a subwoofer! I can't imagine a dedicated HT setup w/o a sub.

You'd still have money left over for matching Infinity surrounds too.

Update. Purchased a Martin Logan Abyss Sub from Fry's. Hooked it up in a bottom firing setup. Room shakes while watching action sequences now. My 6 year old loves it. Wish I had bought a sub sooner, now for some rear bookselfs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts