AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently joined this website and got some great suggestions on setting up my first HT system; I have the link below if anyone wanted to get some background info.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=mvs512


Since my last post, for anyone that offered their suggestions, I decided to drop my pc from the HT equation and purchase a Western Digital Live TV. I have all my files saved on an extra external hard drive I had laying around and have to say I love the features and sound replications.


To continue with the thread question, I'm considering a center channel in the near future to compliment my Infinity P362 floor standing speakers. I'm well aware that the PC350 were designed to match the speakers I have however, I noticed they also have a smaller/sleeker looking center channel for a very similar price on ebay - Infinity TSS-Center 4000 center speaker.


My question is, has anyone heard both speakers and is the sound comparable? The PC350 is much larger which sometimes does add to the overall sound quality and they were designed with the P362 in mind so, I'm not sure if they would be a better choice?


If anyone has any thoughts please let me know.


Thanks,


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVS512 /forum/post/18210187


I recently joined this website and got some great suggestions on setting up my first HT system; I have the link below if anyone wanted to get some background info.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=mvs512


Since my last post, for anyone that offered their suggestions, I decided to drop my pc from the HT equation and purchase a Western Digital Live TV. I have all my files saved on an extra external hard drive I had laying around and have to say I love the features and sound replications.


To continue with the thread question, I'm considering a center channel in the near future to compliment my Infinity P362 floor standing speakers. I'm well aware that the PC350 were designed to match the speakers I have however, I noticed they also have a smaller/sleeker looking center channel for a very similar price on ebay - Infinity TSS-Center 4000 center speaker.


My question is, has anyone heard both speakers and is the sound comparable? The PC350 is much larger which sometimes does add to the overall sound quality and they were designed with the P362 in mind so, I'm not sure if they would be a better choice?


If anyone has any thoughts please let me know.


Thanks,


Mike

I have the P362s and both the PC350 and TSS-Center 4000. I'm using the the TSS-Center 4000 mainly due to space and configuration. The TSS is mounted below the LCD using the included brackets plus additional L brackets.


The TSS-Center 4000 seems to be a little more sharp than the PC350 which is very good for dialogue. Voices are clear and crisp. The PC350, while slightly less clear with voices, has a richer, fuller sound. I would say there is more depth to the PC350.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great feedback thank you. In your opinion, if space was not an issue, which would you chose as your main center speaker?


Additionally, I listen to a lot of music and was wondering if the center channel adds to the overall quality of music? I know it's really designed to enhance voices and bring out certain characteristics in movies/TV but, what element does it add (if any) to music?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVS512 /forum/post/18210527


That's great feedback thank you. In your opinion, if space was not an issue, which would you chose as your main center speaker?


Additionally, I listen to a lot of music and was wondering if the center channel adds to the overall quality of music? I know it's really designed to enhance voices and bring out certain characteristics in movies/TV but, what element does it add (if any) to music?

I would continue to use the TSS-Center 4000 without space constrictions since I prefer the "better" dialogue. I think the TSS-Center 4000 is made specific for HT use with a system that includes a subwoofer. If the system is without a sub, and main speakers set to large, I think the PC350 would be the better choice.


I don't think the center speaker is an issue with music. I think most music is listened to at 2.0 or 2.1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt /forum/post/18210737


I don't think the center speaker is an issue with music. I think most music is listened to at 2.0 or 2.1.

That depends, a lot of us enjoy music in multi-channel mode, if the OP does too then the PC350 is by far the better choice.


Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback.


So, from what I gather, the TSS-Center4000 would work fine with the Infinity P362's; no compatibility issues? The thing is I don't have a subwoofer so maybe the 350 would be a better choice?


RonaldoCombs - sorry, what does "OP " stand for?


Any other insight would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVS512 /forum/post/18211104


Thanks for the feedback.


So, from what I gather, the TSS-Center4000 would work fine with the Infinity P362's; no compatibility issues? The thing is I don't have a subwoofer so maybe the 350 would be a better choice?


RonaldoCombs - sorry, what does "OP " stand for?


Any other insight would be appreciated.

OP = original poster = YOU.


Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems so clear now...lol.


Not to stray off topic but, in order to fully achieve the multi-channel sound effect, would the music source have to have been originally recorded in a multi-channel format?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVS512 /forum/post/18211104


Thanks for the feedback.


So, from what I gather, the TSS-Center4000 would work fine with the Infinity P362's; no compatibility issues? The thing is I don't have a subwoofer so maybe the 350 would be a better choice?


RonaldoCombs - sorry, what does "OP " stand for?


Any other insight would be appreciated.

If you don't have a subwoofer, the PC350 is the better choice.
 

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
Joined
·
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVS512 /forum/post/18211493


Not to stray off topic but, in order to fully achieve the multi-channel sound effect, would the music source have to have been originally recorded in a multi-channel format?

Depends on how you define "fully achieve."

All modern A/V receivers include some kind of matrixing solution--be it Dolby Pro Logic IIx or something in-house. I exclusively listen to two channel music sources in a 7.1 matrixed multichannel mode. I find the effect very satisfying. I do have some DVD-Audio multichannel recordings, but they are so few and far between. It seems to me that a well programmed computer can at least compete with the work of a human mixer, and I've never been interested in trying an accurate A/B comparison. A key difference however is that the computer almost certainly cannot duplicate the recording artist's intent. To the extent that a discrete multichannel release best convey's the artist's intent, and you care about that sort of thing (many people don't!), then it would be preferrable over the corresponding two channel release. But, again, these recordings are so few and far between.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad to hear that so many people do enjoy listening to music in a multichannel mode. I actually listen to music through my speaker setup more than I do w/TV or movies.


It seems as though the C350 might be a better fit in this case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVS512 /forum/post/18212215


I'm glad to hear that so many people do enjoy listening to music in a multichannel mode. I actually listen to music through my speaker setup more than I do w/TV or movies.


It seems as though the C350 might be a better fit in this case.

In your case, the PC350 is a better choice. A good deal too at less than $200 on eBay.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top