AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another comparison for you guys. I plan on using it in a bedroom. Which one is better?

Infinity/Polk: Alpha 20 Bookshelf, Alpha Center, Polk PSW250 Sub

JBL: N24, N-Center, PB12 Sub

i'm leaning towards the infinity/polk system simply because the subwoofer doesn't seem to be as overwhelming as the pb12. also, i've read reports of the pb12 just shutting down and failing within 6 months.

· Registered
252 Posts
not sure if the Alpha center will fit in your bedroom...

I bought a alpha center and now dont know what to do with it !! It was huge for the driver size. Other wise, very nice looking speaker (esp in cherry), and sound ok (for only 3 hrs then I put it right back into the box cuz it fit in nowhere and stand out like an eye soar), and cheap to cuz they are discon. N center look cheap, Polk is big, bulky and sound muddy...

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nguyenphananh
not sure if the Alpha center will fit in your bedroom...

I bought a alpha center and now dont know what to do with it !! It was huge for the driver size. Other wise, very nice looking speaker (esp in cherry), and sound ok (for only 3 hrs then I put it right back into the box cuz it fit in nowhere and stand out like an eye soar), and cheap to cuz they are discon. N center look cheap, Polk is big, bulky and sound muddy...
so you would pick the jbl over the infinity/polk?

· Banned
3,181 Posts
the jbl has a much more detailed sound than the polk.......

when looking for speakers in this price category, i am assuming that you will be using an entry level to mid level receiver to power them.....

and while the polks might work fine with more power, i feel that these jbl's will work much better with most receivers.....

cheers!

:)

· Registered
915 Posts
Agree with Tube. You can always turn down the JBL sub. Check out the posts on the N24, N center combo at HT forum. There is a JBL guru over there named Phil who can also provide some great reasoning as to the JBL's performance. I have N24's and have used the N center. Great speakers.

· Banned
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tubeguy44
the jbl has a much more detailed sound than the polk.......

when looking for speakers in this price category, i am assuming that you will be using an entry level to mid level receiver to power them.....

and while the polks might work fine with more power, i feel that these jbl's will work much better with most receivers.....

cheers!

:)
Absolutely not true! I have a pair of JBL S38 IIs, and also a pair of Polk RT55s. Of course I had to A/B compare them head to head. The Polks are slightly brighter, thus more detailed than the S38s. There was by no means a night and day sort of difference, but to say that the JBLs were much more detailed is simply not true. Keep in mind that since I own both and don't have to defend or justify a buying purchase I made for brand bias one over the other I can call it like I see it with impartiality. Truth is, I like 'em both and had a need for 2 pairs of big bookshelf sized speakers like that.

The last statement I do agree with however as the JBLs would match up better than the Polks with a brighter sounding receiver such as Yamaha or Onkyo.

· Registered
196 Posts
I have a PB12. The amp burned out a month after the warranty expired. I replaced the amp w/ a 250 watt plate amp from Parts Express (was cheaper than shipping the sub to JBL for repair.)

It's fine for movies, but for music it's fairly muddy and slow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.