AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the market for a sub for my budget system. Right now I have a Pioneer 519 receiver, Polk R50's for my L/R front, and a Polk CS2 for my center. I really only use the system to watch blurays and some tv. I have some amazon points built up so my choices are limited to buying a sub off of amazon.

I have been looking at the PL200, F12, PA 120...I did come across the infinity primus sub the other day, but I cant find many reviews on it. I hate to buy the pl200 on amazon because you can get it for considerably cheaper on other sites, the f12 is a great deal at 185, and the PA 150 is in the middle, i just have not heard to much about it either.

Here is a link to the Infinity sub. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846 .

I just want something that is reasonably tight and not too boomy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a new Infinity PS12 in August 2007 and enjoyed it for what it was until this year when the amp started having issues, which is apparently a common problem with Infinity subs. The amps overheat regularly which causes the auto standby to kick in irregularly (it makes a farting noise). It's much better than a HITB sub but it's still a budget sub and you won't get much deep extension out of it (I don't think I could ever get it even below 30hz). And honestly having gone through the frustration of constantly checking the temp of a sub to get it to last a month or two longer before it dies completely, I'd go with another brand. FWIW, I'm replacing my Infinity with a Hsu.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, I dont want anything that can have amp issues, especially since my receiver just bit the dust yesterday...now i have to either get that one fixed or buy a new one....the sub purchase will probably be delayed now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yah I can attest to Infinity PS12 amp issues, mine lasted about 2.5 years and the amp died constantly going into Standby/Protect mode. Then finally it wouldn't turn on one day. I couldn't find anyone to repair it under warranty within any reasonable distance and I wasn't going to pay to ship the sub cross country.

Also yah the sub doesn't get much output below about 30-35Hz and is pretty boomy due to a big peak in output around ~35Hz as I think that is the tuning frequency of the port.

I upgraded to a SVS PB10-NSD last year and I'm much happier with this sub, very flat response and good clean output down to about 20Hz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.