AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am going to build a modest 2 channel system. Audio, not HT is my primary interest.

Infinity 362's: I see where they have received some impressive reviews for speakers at their price. Currently Crutchfield seems to have as good of a price as anyone at $400 shipped. I know Fry's had them cheap, but who knows when we will see those prices again.

Jamos E 660 and 680: I see a lot of people excited about the prices (69 and 129 respectively) on these, but it seems like there are not a whole lot of people who have actual experience with these, especially the 660's. (That may not be the case, but I have not seen revews from a diversity of sources).

My questions: are these Jamos' really a good value at the closeout prices, or are they just really cheap now? Were people impressed with these speakers at or near MSRP or is all the excitment due solely to the low prices of a brand that has some high end lines? Is this particular line really better suited for HT or are they pretty decent for music reproduction as well?

Anyone have a basis for comparing the Primus with this Jamos line?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The Infinity's are nice, much better than their price. I used to run Infinity and have nothing but praise for them. I switched to Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands and love them. they are about 7 times the cost of the speakers you are looking at. Trust me they are great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, that matches with what I have read. I am pretty well convinced that the Primus line is a good, maybe even exceptional value. Well, at least as much one can be without actually test driving them.

I probably would not have even started second guessing going that route had I not seen the prices on the Jamos line.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Jamos are good speakers. but the Infinity speakers are IMO, better. They should sell for a much higher price, but don't. My old SM 152 speakers really kicked some ass. They were just too big for my room. I still have SM 112 speakers in the basement, but need new foam rings. I wouldn't get rid of them for anything.

My father has the Cascade series and again, they rock. More expensive but they are very small for full range speakers. I have never come across an Infinity speaker I didn't like. $ to value ratio is exceptional with Infinity.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I haven't listened to P362's before, but I've never heard a bad review. That being said, I own Jamo E680's and am very happy with my purchase. I didn't get a chance to audition them before buying, but a dealer in town had a pair of E660's I was able to listen to.

Something to consider between the two, will you be using a sub? If not, then the E680 is the best choice. It has a surprising amount of bass. I'm not saying the E660 is a bad speaker, but with only one woofer, the bass isn't quite what I wanted.

I think the reason you don't hear more about Jamo is because they haven't really broken into the American market. There aren't too many dealers who carry the line.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
My questions: are these Jamos' really a good value at the closeout prices, or are they just really cheap now? Were people impressed with these speakers at or near MSRP or is all the excitment due solely to the low prices of a brand that has some high end lines? Is this particular line really better suited for HT or are they pretty decent for music reproduction as well?

The little E660 is definitely not in the same class as the P362. The E680 is a different story. I own E680 towers and have heard the P362 in store. I think it would be a very close match between the two. The E680 is great at music reproduction just like the P362.

The excitement of the P362 is also when the price is reduced to $99 or $129 which Fry's seems to do monthly. I don't recall anybody buying them at their $299 each list price. do you? I think people buy each of these speakers because of the discounted pricing and good sound. Both brands are outstanding values at their low prices.

The E680 didn't have a presence in this market until wwstereo bought out the remaining inventory from Jamo and introduced them for $129.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the comments from the Jamos owners and I appreciate you understanding that I am not knocking the Jamos line simply based on market share. I am just trying to get a feel for where they fit in.

With regard to the question about the Primus line, I have in fact seen very favorable comments and reviews on them going back some time when they were selling closer to MSRP. Based on those reviews, my impression was that many felt they were a good value even at $600. I have seen reviews indicating that at least some people felt they could hold their own against any line below $1k a pair. I have no basis for saying that those reviews were correct, but they certainly make you feel better about buying them at $400 shipped.

I also am not saying that the Jamos E line, especially the 680, would not have received the same praise had they been been reviewed. I just have not seen a lot of pre price drop discussion of this line, good or bad.

The answer to the question about the sub, my current plan is to not run one. I realize that I will be giving up some bottom end, but I am going to see if I can get away with it. Several reasons for this: between work and the fact that my wife and kids around I rarely get to listen, let alone turn up the volume so the expense in running a powered sub just does not seem worth it at the moment.

Unfortunately, I am like a lot of people in that I really don't have a lot of opportunity to test drive speakers. Local home audio shops will carry speakers like the Klipsch RF line in the sub 1k range, but little else.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
I also am not saying that the Jamos E line, especially the 680, would not have received the same praise had they been been reviewed. I just have not seen a lot of pre price drop discussion of this line, good or bad.

Probably because they were not available here until wwstereo offered them. Jamo is the top selling speaker mfr in Europe, they don't have a huge presence in the USA.

http://www.jamo.com/na-en/about/history/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts