AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about the Primus 250 tower speakers? I bought two a week ago and they sound great but I'm new to this and most anything would sound better than what I had going before. I'm wondering if I should have went with the Alpha's. Or maybe these speakers aren't what people in this forum would choose for the money. Just looking for some feedback about how these speakers stack up against others. thanks.

·
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I took the 250's back and got the Primus 360 floorstanders(200w), C-25 center(150w) PS-12 sub(300wpowd), and getting ready to get the 160 rears(150w). I been nothing but happy with them. The 250's just didn't sound that special. The 360's are for sure the way to go if you are considering this line. Believe it or not I went with this set of speakers because this forum can get confusing on speaker recommendations so I kinda went my own way. Imagine my surprise when I found this review at SECRETS!! :

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-10-2003.html

If you want more info or have questions let me know. I loved the speakers nomatter what secrets would have had to say but it sure made me feel even happier with my choice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How much power are you using for the 360s? And can the center channel keep up with them because they are so much more speaker?

·
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't afford a NAD T763 until after the 1st of the year so I'm using a two year old Kenwood 615 that came in a home theater in a box. It claims 100w per channel but I'd bet I'm lucky if it puts out 25w. No amps, no nothing...yet. Obviously I have to be careful with volume so as to not clip the amp and ruin the speakers but with the powered sub in there I have been able to go pretty loud.

I find the center does well but that could be subjective. I wanted to get the Infinity Alpha center because on paper it seemed to be a better match but I called Infinity before the purchase and they said under no circumstances should I get the bigger center to match with the 360's because it would overpower the 360's. I tried and tried and the guy said it would be in Infinity's interests to sell you the bigger center moneywise but that they want me to have a great sound experience from their speakers. This made me feel better as well, kinda honest company from my dealings so far.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:

This review is interesting, a few comments:

"The Primus line of speakers use an aluminum cone driver called the “Metal Matrix Diaphragm†(MMD). Metal matrix refers to the ceramic coating on both sides of the aluminum cone. This is intended to reduce distortion and cone breakup by providing a very rigid low mass driver."

Interesting... does anyone know if MMD cones are coated with Ceramic? I thought that was CMMD.

"I thought that it was just as important for us to get used to the system as it was to stretch out all of the diaphragms and allow for full dielectric absorption in all of the conductors (for the EEs and the Break In Police)."

Interesting tilt on the breakin topic.... dielectric absorption? stretching the diaphragms? Well at least he states what he believes... I wonder if any EEs would agree with him though.

I just think these two things would occur in the first second or two of operation, probably at the factory. and I'm pretty sure that dielectrics don't absorb anything longterm ... :). One thing for sure, those high tech Infinity cones are so rigid, they aint gonna stretch... maybe he's talking about the surrounds.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have come up with two theater setups using these speakers. I am going to have an HK 525 receiver so I am a little worried that the 360s will be underpowered. Here is what I came up with:

System 1

Fronts Primus 250

Center Primus 25

Rears Primus 150 (or 160)

Sub SVS Pci (not sure which one yet)

System 2 (If I have enough power for 360s)

Fronts Primus 360

Center Primus c25

Rears Primus 160

Sub Infinity PS-12 (cut cost)

One other thing I was worried about with the 360s is that they may drown out my center and rear speaker. Also I could go with the more powerful AVR 7200 which cost a lot more (I only want to do this if it is really worth it). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The HK 525 will have more than enough power. HK rates their receivers conservatively. As for drowning out the center, if you calibrate the speakers properly with a SPL meter they should be fine.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bruhaha
The HK 525 will have more than enough power. HK rates their receivers conservatively. As for drowning out the center, if you calibrate the speakers properly with a SPL meter they should be fine.

Good luck and enjoy!
The 360s are rated for 200 watts and the 250s are at 150 watts. Can the 525 deliver enough power to drive a 200 watt speaker? What kind of output should I expect at 5 and 2 channels driven? I do like the 360s because I think they would put down a lot of sound for stereo listening. Sometimes I really like to crank it up!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wu343
The 360s are rated for 200 watts and the 250s are at 150 watts. Can the 525 deliver enough power to drive a 200 watt speaker? What kind of output should I expect at 5 and 2 channels driven? I do like the 360s because I think they would put down a lot of sound for stereo listening. Sometimes I really like to crank it up!
The watts the speakers refer to are peak watts. I suggest you find a store where they have a 30 day return policy, get the HK525, the speakers and give it try. Ciruit City carries both the HK and Primus. If they want to sell you anything have them set up all the Primus on the HK.

Some stores probably won't have the 525 but will have the newer 530.

·
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Sounds like its Annodized aluminum coating, instead of ceramic though, thats a potentially big difference.

I think your right. If it WAS the ceramic coating they'd be advertising them that way. I think the reviewer may have just misspoke. Forgot to call infinity about it today, I'll do it tomorrow just to find out exactly what's up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So is the Alpha series worth the extra cost? I listened to both sets and they sounded almost the same. They were on different receivers so the test was not very accurate.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There should be no difference between MMD and CMMD, the transducer composition is the same aluminum substrate with ceramic layers bonded to each side. Infinity just wants the technical term to sound "more technical" for the higher end line to give them more clout. The goal is the same: to provide a transducer that combines rigidity with light weight. This gives the best of both worlds for improving transient response without sacrificing a rigid cone's resistance to modal distortion. Breaking in a speaker usually refers to both the surrounds and the spider (which is attached to the voice coil), since both can be stiff when new. I would suggest you buy as many watts as you can afford. There is nothing to lose and much to gain by giving your speakers more amplification. FWIW, I've heard that H/K receivers and Infinity speakers match up very well together.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xcalibur_255
There should be no difference between MMD and CMMD, the transducer composition is the same aluminum substrate with ceramic layers bonded to each side. Infinity just wants the technical term to sound "more technical" for the higher end line to give them more clout. The goal is the same: to provide a transducer that combines rigidity with light weight. This gives the best of both worlds for improving transient response without sacrificing a rigid cone's resistance to modal distortion. Breaking in a speaker usually refers to both the surrounds and the spider (which is attached to the voice coil), since both can be stiff when new. I would suggest you buy as many watts as you can afford. There is nothing to lose and much to gain by giving your speakers more amplification. FWIW, I've heard that H/K receivers and Infinity speakers match up very well together.
I have an HK525 on the way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went to listen to the Alpha speakers today. I really like the output from these speakers. Here is what I plan to get:

Fronts: Alpha 50

Rear: Alpha 20

Center: Alpha 37c

Sub: SVS PCi

What do you all think?

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xcalibur_255
Somehow i doubt Infinity would create a new acronymn just to fool the public, where did you get your info?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
wu343:

You will especially like the 37c. Although big for a center (as it should be, with 70% of the sound coming from that speaker!), it is great for both music and movies. It especially shines on SACDs and DVD-As...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.