AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As suggested, I went on a search to find the speakers I am considering in a local store. Asking 'this vs. that' type of questions doesn't mean anything, as speakers are a flavor that some might like or not like..... see, I've been listening.....


demo'd the Infinity in-person. The only model I found was the Primus 362 stands. They sounded great! However, it was recommended to me that I get 4 beta 20s for my budget 5.1 setup.


I come here, again, for assistance in hearing if P362/252 (252 are cheaper) or Beta 20s are better for the front speakers. I cant hear the Betas, and would love to hear from those that have-- in comparison to the Primus. The Primus floorstands are more expensive, but if the Beta bookshelves are a better overall sounding speaker, I'm all for it.


I tend to think a big, attractive floorstand 252/362 is better, but looks are deceiving sometimes.


Thanks!
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,719 Posts
I've heard both - and own a pair of Beta 20s for surrounds along with a pair of Infinity Interlude towers and a Beta C360 center speaker in a bedroom setup. They all have the same CMMD 1" tweeter so timbre match is perfect all round


The Infinity 1" CMMD tweeter is an excellent driver that will blow the Primus away. Other than that there is little to offer in the way of differences. The Beta 20s are rather muddy in the bass department with little definition in the low bass. The Primus are very similar but with less bass extension - and less boomy bass at that. I'd recommend you get the Primus 362 towers if you can get them cheap. Check Frys.com and on ebay.
Here is a pair for $399 with free shipping. And there are others on ebay as well as seen on
this search .


Another ebay search for Beta speakers shows this .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I don't mean to split hairs but you mentioned the 1" CMMD tweeter on the beta blows away the Primus. And if the bass characteristics are pretty much the same, wouldn't the Beta 20s be the better choice? Sorry if I missed something obvious that you alluded to being the differentiator.


The beta 20s are about $180-200/pair shipped + stands because I need them at ear level. The Primus 252 are about $300/pair shipped. The Primus 362s are about (like you said) $400/pair shipped-- although I heard people saying they see sales at Frys for less.


I heard the 362 and was impressed. If the betas sound better I'd be stoked. If not, and the towers are worth the extra $$, I'll do that for sure.


Thanks!
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16945754


Thanks for the feedback! I don't mean to split hairs but you mentioned the 1" CMMD tweeter on the beta blows away the Primus. And if the bass characteristics are pretty much the same, wouldn't the Beta 20s be the better choice? Sorry if I missed something obvious that you alluded to being the differentiator.


The beta 20s are about $180-200/pair shipped + stands because I need them at ear level. The Primus 252 are about $300/pair shipped. The Primus 362s are about (like you said) $400/pair shipped-- although I heard people saying they see sales at Frys for less.


I heard the 362 and was impressed. If the betas sound better I'd be stoked. If not, and the towers are worth the extra $$, I'll do that for sure.


Thanks!

After reading my post I have to agree with you - I wasn't too clear.


The Betas are a better speaker - but because of the booming bass it can be a distraction. You may find you like the sound. I originally had 4 of them in my bedroom with a c250 center. The bass was too much and reverberated quite badly. With the IL40s I no longer have that. It is a 3 way tower design with a 4" mid - no one driver has to do double duty as in the Beta 20s.


The 1" tweeter is well worth having if you control the bass in the 20s. This can be done in a variety of ways such as plugging the port so it emulates a sealed design. I tried it on mine and it made a big difference.


If you can get the frys deal on the 362s for $129 each plus shipping take it. Otherwise you might find some Beta 20s or even the Beta 40 towers. And a pair of Beta 50s would be best of all but they still command quite a few bucks even on ebay.


I'd take the pair of 362s over a pair of Beta 20s any day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the clarification. That makes sense.


I found a pair of Beta 50s for $250. He says they are in perfect condition, has them hooked up for listening, and needs to sell them as he just had a baby.


If they are not damaged in any way, I'm thinking this is a very good deal??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I have heard the 20s side by side with the 252. Our entire group agreed that the 20 was the better speaker. However, I have never heard the 352 which is supposed to be quite a bit better than the 252.


On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet that the beta 50 is better than the primus 352.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16947938


I appreciate the clarification. That makes sense.


I found a pair of Beta 50s for $250. He says they are in perfect condition, has them hooked up for listening, and needs to sell them as he just had a baby.


If they are not damaged in any way, I'm thinking this is a very good deal??

If you can get Beta 50s for $250, DO IT! I spent a lot more than that for mine and LOVE THEM.
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,719 Posts
YES YES YES


By all means buy them. They are a wonderful sounding speaker.


Damn. Sometimes I hate living in the sticks! Only deals around here are on 5 year old HTIB.
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16948200


I hope they are not too much speaker for a 21' x 15' room...

Thats what the volume is for.



Seriously...they will be fine.


What a great price! Find a C360 center and you'll be set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16951780


Thats what the volume is for.



Seriously...they will be fine.


What a great price! Find a C360 center and you'll be set.

This place has the c360 center pretty reasonable (especially the cherry)
http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/B...rChannels.html


Btw, I've got the p362s and they sound great, but those beta 50s are going to sound even better, that's a great deal on them.
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery44 /forum/post/16956062


This place has the c360 center pretty reasonable (especially the cherry)
http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/B...rChannels.html


Btw, I've got the p362s and they sound great, but those beta 50s are going to sound even better, that's a great deal on them.

Thats a great price for the C360 - I wouldn't even consider the C250 when the C360 is that cheap.


I bought one from them on their ebay store - cost me more than that by a bit but I don't mind. Its a great sounding center - only beat out by my AV123 "Bigfoot" center. At 42 pounds it beats out a lot of centers.


Nothing at all wrong with the P362s. I heard them in less than ideal conditions but I was still impressed with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These Beta 50s are HUGE! I just picked them up. Now that they are inside my place (btw, almost pulled my back carrying these things inside), I see how deep they are. WOW. They better sound good.


next is the recv'r, center, and rears.......!



Thanks for all the help so far!
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akk5000 /forum/post/16957713


Knucklehead90.


You mentioned that there is boomy bass on the beta 20s. Just curious the crossover frequency you used and how far were they from the wall?

For starters my main speaker in my living room have 2 8" sealed woofers each so I'm used to tight well controlled bass - the Beta 20s have lots of bass but it isn't well controlled. When I used them up front I set the crossover in the AVR (HK 247) to full as I use no sub in the bedroom. They were 3' from any wall. They are set to 80hz in their surround duty and are much more controlled - the bass on the IL40s is tighter by a huge margin - they sound great. I love the 1" CMMD tweeter in these Infinities - one of the best I've ever heard.


Infinity tuned the Beta 20s - and their 'kissin cousin' the Interlude IL30s which I owned until a few months ago - as a full range speaker. It seems they wanted to emphasize the bass - and the low bass is impressive with these speakers - but tends to 'walk' over or 'muddy up' the mid bass and causes it to lose definition. Listen for a few hours to my IL40s and then to my Beta 20s and you'll hear the difference. Better yet listen to my Emotiva 8.3s for a few hours.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16958412


These Beta 50s are HUGE! I just picked them up. Now that they are inside my place (btw, almost pulled my back carrying these things inside), I see how deep they are. WOW. They better sound good.


next is the recv'r, center, and rears.......!



Thanks for all the help so far!

slippery44 listed a link above for the C360

in cherry - if that don't matter - for $169 with free shipping. You might want to leap all over that - its a great price and you will likely not find another at that price. The Beta 20s will do fine for surrounds. I gave you a link in your other thread to the HK 247. Its not the best AVR on the market but it will fit your under $200 requirement - I can't think of a better AVR for the price. One sold the other day for $125! You can't beat that!


The 50s should sound very good - especially for that price - that was a killer deal. I doubt I could tell the difference between them and my IL40s in a DBT. The Beta 20s and IL30s can't be told apart even though the IL30s are small towers. Both resonate lots of bass.


Give us a mini review once you get everything set up and cranked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16958499


For starters my main speaker in my living room have 2 8" sealed woofers each so I'm used to tight well controlled bass - the Beta 20s have lots of bass but it isn't well controlled. When I used them up front I set the crossover in the AVR (HK 247) to full as I use no sub in the bedroom. They were 3' from any wall. They are set to 80hz in their surround duty and are much more controlled - the bass on the IL40s is tighter by a huge margin - they sound great. I love the 1" CMMD tweeter in these Infinities - one of the best I've ever heard.


Infinity tuned the Beta 20s - and their 'kissin cousin' the Interlude IL30s which I owned until a few months ago - as a full range speaker. It seems they wanted to emphasize the bass - and the low bass is impressive with these speakers - but tends to 'walk' over or 'muddy up' the mid bass and causes it to lose definition. Listen for a few hours to my IL40s and then to my Beta 20s and you'll hear the difference. Better yet listen to my Emotiva 8.3s for a few hours.





slippery44 listed a link above for the C360

in cherry - if that don't matter - for $169 with free shipping. You might want to leap all over that - its a great price and you will likely not find another at that price. The Beta 20s will do fine for surrounds. I gave you a link in your other thread to the HK 247. Its not the best AVR on the market but it will fit your under $200 requirement - I can't think of a better AVR for the price. One sold the other day for $125! You can't beat that!


The 50s should sound very good - especially for that price - that was a killer deal. I doubt I could tell the difference between them and my IL40s in a DBT. The Beta 20s and IL30s can't be told apart even though the IL30s are small towers. Both resonate lots of bass.


Give us a mini review once you get everything set up and cranked.

Knucklehead-- thanks for the heads up on the AVR and C360 deal. I brought these beta 50s home, walked inside, and got an earful from the Mrs. something like, "What the *#&! are those??! Cabinets? A new dresser??" After I got done explaining that these Beta 50s that I lugged in were our new (front) speakers..... hehehee that was a funny exchange.... So, if I had a ginormous room, the C360 would work. But after finding out that this center has 2 woofers, a mid AND a tweeter AND is 2 1/2ft long and almost a foot high.... man, I don't know. Thats a big freakin center!! The old-time motorheads will say there is no replacement for displacement..... and I'm hoping this isnt true with speakers too. Is there something smaller that could emulate the sound of the C360 beast?? Or do I just shut up, get the C360, and enjoy it cuz nothing will sound like it??


While I'm on the subject, is there a kick-a$$, smaller rear satellite that could accomplish the same thing? i.e. great sound from something little?? Or is a Primus 142/152 as small as I should go??



As always, thanks!!
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,719 Posts
Well yeah the Beta C360 is rather large but you could use it like I use mine. Its built very stout - I have my 32" LCD TV sitting on it - makes a great base. The C250 is somewhat smaller and has the same tweeter and 5" drivers as the 50s. There isn't that much difference in size as you might think however.


For surrounds the Primus 142s would work well. they are smaller than the Beta 20s - they won't match up timbre wise - but that isn't as great a concern for surrounds as it is for the front three. Any competent bookshelf speaker should work fine as a surround.


Its good to see someone getting such a great deal on used speakers. You can't buy that kind of quality in a new speaker - period!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top