AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what your guys opinion would be of each one? They are both around the same price. After doing some researching I came to find out that the TSI series is the same as the older monitor series. Just updated looks. I can get the monitor series for VERY cheap off newegg. Here are the two setups Im thinking about.

Infinity Primus

P362

P350

P152

or

Polk Audio

Monitor 70

Monitor 30

Monitor CS2

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
if comparitive cost does not enter the picture, then the Infinity Primus series would probably be the choice. I have not seen pricing on the Infinity line as low as the Polks, and shipping is usually not included with the Infinities. Do you have a better source which gets the pricing (with shipping) closer to the Polk Monitors ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hard to beat the Polk Monitor line with newegg pricing and free shipping. I have the Monitor 70 for fronts, Cs2 center, and Monitor 40 for surrounds. Check out Elemental Designs for a sub, wish I had heard about them earlier. Like my setup alot, but had a Sony HTIB before lol.

·
Registered
29,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisssenberg /forum/post/18192642

Just priced it out, and can't get the Infinity's down below 800. The Polk's I can get just under 500 out the door. I'm sorta leaning that way and put the rest of my budget into a killer sub.

That's really good if you can get Monitor 70's a center and two surrounds out the door for $500. you should probably jump on that!

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18190472

For sound: Infinity, for looks: Polk.

Ron

+1

Look at the Infinity Cascade though - very nice looking - modern and doesn't look like a coffin with cones.

·
Audio Engineer
2,561 Posts
How would Polk Monitor 70's/TSi 500 towers compare with the Infinity Primus 362s? Would the 362s be considered full range? Would the Monitor 70s?

·
Registered
29,317 Posts
I think that's a listener preference decision between the Monitor 70 and P362. Both speakers have their fans and you won't get a definitive answer.

A full range speaker to me goes 20hz to20khz. Not too many of those out there. The Polk specs say that go down to 30hz and the Infiinit goes to 38hz. but mfr specs are not always accurate. You need to listen to each speaker yourself if possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I listened to the Polk's in a best buy tonight. I know it was a far from optimum listening environment, but they sounded pretty good. I was checking out my old bookshelf speakers and they're infinity reference 2000.1's I could get Polk's all around for just under 500, or I could use the infinity's as the rears with P362 mains and P350 center for a bit over 600. . .

I think I'm talking myself into the polks.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The problem I see is you're going from entry level speakers to another pair of entry level speakers. If that makes you happy there's nothing wrong with it. Take your time. You have speakers now so it's not like you're having to go without. Listen to the Infinity Primus for comparison purposes. Listen to some Paradigm, Wharfedale, B&W's, etc to see what spending more new or used can buy. Take your own music if possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too am debating between the Polk monitors and the Infinity Primus set ups to go with my HT-RC160 Onkyo receiver and PSB 6i sub. The cheapest i could find the monitor 70s, RC2, and 40's were on newegg for 740 total free shipping. Where are you guys finding them for 500, and the Infinity's for under 700? I was going to pull the trigger last night on the Polks on newegg, good thing i didnt soudns liek i would have been paying couple hundred too much.

Edit: Cheapest i could find polks for was 725 shipped using newegg and some other site, the infinitys from random places is coming to 789 shipped, Where is this 500 dollar polk setup?

·
Banned
103 Posts
I'm debating between the Monitor 50's and P252's for music listening. I see people favouring the Primus here, but is it still worth going with Infinity towers when my center is a Polk CSi3? Does is matter that they match for music, or is it mostly just so the panning doesn't sound weird?

·
Registered
29,317 Posts
I think it matters more that they match for music, especially multichannel audio. But then again, what kind of music are you playing and is your center channel being used for music? If your music is just two channel stereo you may not need the center channel on.

If your center is already a CSi3, you should stick with Polk Speakers, but something better than the R50. Either the Monitor 60/70 or the Rti series.

·
Banned
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18220234

I think it matters more that they match for music, especially multichannel audio. But then again, what kind of music are you playing and is your center channel being used for music? If your music is just two channel stereo you may not need the center channel on.

If your center is already a CSi3, you should stick with Polk Speakers, but something better than the R50. Either the Monitor 60/70 or the Rti series.

I usually use Dolby PLII for music, so I want to utilize all speakers. I know many people prefer the purity of stereo for tunes, but I listen to a lot of ambient/reverb-heavy stuff and I like to be immersed in the sound. At the same time I'd also like something that is clear and punchy when obnoxiously cranked for rock, old rap, house music, etc.

Hypothetically ignoring the matching issue, between the Polk Monitor's and Primus series, is one better than the other for music, or is it entirely subjective?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.