AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 754 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I currently have the Primus 363s and a Primus 351 center channel. I was using 2 older Entra series OWS on wall surround speakers. They have worked ok but because of there placement on the back wall the surround wasn't the greatest. I just bought and received the Reference RS152 surround speakers. I have not hung them yet, but they sound quite good. I am hoping they can diffuse the sound well mounted against the back wall. I will update once I have them mounted and calibrated.

I did notice that Crutchfield now shows the RS152 as discontinued. It is showing for the other Reference series also. Does anyone know if this is true? They have been out for maybe 2 months.

Teddy

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I currently have the Primus 363s and a Primus 351 center channel. I was using 2 older Entra series OWS on wall surround speakers. They have worked ok but because of there placement on the back wall the surround wasn't the greatest. I just bought and received the Reference RS152 surround speakers. I have not hung them yet, but they sound quite good. I am hoping they can diffuse the sound well mounted against the back wall. I will update once I have them mounted and calibrated.

I did notice that Crutchfield now shows the RS152 as discontinued. It is showing for the other Reference series also. Does anyone know if this is true? They have been out for maybe 2 months.

Teddy
I'm not sure how accurate it is. Infinity has them listed for 449 but when I go to Crutchfield it says the RS152, along with therest of the Reference series, is discontinued.

The Infinity site lists the R 263 as sold out, Amazon only has 8 of the 253 in stock so either there is limited supply or just high demand.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I'm not sure how accurate it is. Infinity has them listed for 449 but when I go to Crutchfield it says the RS152, along with therest of the Reference series, is discontinued.

The Infinity site lists the R 263 as sold out, Amazon only has 8 of the 253 in stock so either there is limited supply or just high demand.
Could be a limited initial batch to test the market, but knowing Infinity these should be very competitive in their price range.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I haven't had alot of time to listen to the center but what I've heard so far I like. At first I thought it sounded bright but then I realized it's not bright it's just really detailed and airy in the treble. Everything sounds so much more detailed through it, it's hard to explain. I never heard Revel speakers or read reviews but I know they say these are similar. Those Revels must be ultra detailed allowing you to hear a pin dropped by the performer because the Infinity center sounds excellent and they say the Revels are even better. I'm very happy with my purchase. Also about the bass, it sounds very good to me and Audyssey crossed it over at 40hz so that shows how good it is right there.
Just a little thread bump to see how you're finding the speaker and to see if anyone else has tried them out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I may jump in too. I've been scouring the web looking for something to replace my Infinity IL10s. The Primus line looked really cheap compared to the Interlude series so that was a no go. It's currently going to be between the Chane A1r-xc (shown) or Infinity Reference 162.

Strictly a 2.0 system for my desktop computer.

I'll report back on which I go with and, if I go with the 162, how they sound compared to my IL10s I've been using for the last 10 years.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I may jump in too. I've been scouring the web looking for something to replace my Infinity IL10s. The Primus line looked really cheap compared to the Interlude series so that was a no go. It's currently going to be between the Chane A1r-xc (shown) or Infinity Reference 162.

Strictly a 2.0 system for my desktop computer.

I'll report back on which I go with and, if I go with the 162, how they sound compared to my IL10s I've been using for the last 10 years.

I am in the same situation, using IL10s for more than 10 years and quite happy with them. I was also searching to replace all my infinities for an upgraded sound but so far my search told me that until unless I spend quite a lot interlude series pretty hard to beat. I would love to hear your impressions once you get the new speakers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I actually went with the SVS Ultra Bookshelf ($1000) and while the bass was superb, the tweeter was not at all to my liking. It felt over powering. Now I am deciding between a set of used Interludes (2xIL40, 2xIL10, 1xIL25C) or starting out with the new Infinity References R162 and building from there.

I would really like to listen to the Chanes, but I can't risk being unsatisfied with them and spending a good $50-60 shipping back.

·
Registered
942 Posts
There has to be someone that has these reference 263 speakers, no? They look solid, but all about sound. What are the speaker material, is it just paper on these or something?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just got a pair of r152's and love them. These are great bookshelf speakers for the money. I ended up getting killer deal on ebay and found them for $100. One of the best $100 i've ever spent.

If I was going to do my whole home theater over again, these would be on my short list of reasonably priced speakers.

I did a pretty detailed review of them with measurements you can find here http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com/2015/12/infinity-reference-r152-infinitys-high.html

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I just got a pair of r152's and love them. These are great bookshelf speakers for the money. I ended up getting killer deal on ebay and found them for $100. One of the best $100 i've ever spend.

If I was going to do my whole home theater over again, these would be on my short list of reasonably priced speakers.

I did a pretty detailed review of them with measurements you can find here http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com/2015/12/infinity-reference-r152-infinitys-high.html
Great write-up! I always enjoy your reviews as it's nice to see some real-world measurements to back up what you are hearing. I would love to give these a try, need to keep my eye out for any sales on them. The biggest issue with the Primus for me was their brighter than average sound, but it sounds the new Reference series is a bit more even.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Would be great to read such a review of the towers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great write-up! I always enjoy your reviews as it's nice to see some real-world measurements to back up what you are hearing. I would love to give these a try, need to keep my eye out for any sales on them. The biggest issue with the Primus for me was their brighter than average sound, but it sounds the new Reference series is a bit more even.
Thank you! It listening to the r152 was a big eye opener to some of the weaknesses of the Primus, especially in the near field where I did most of my listening this time. A down side of the Primus is they are just a touch bright for some in a 2.0 system. They are not as balanced as the r152s, with the r152's also being a little less active in the lower treble and without the bloom past 8khz.

Once you add a sub to the Priums, those issues don't go away but they do become less noticeable. The r152 don't suffer any of those issues and probably don't even need a sub for many types of music and listening situations.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Btw AverageJoeaudio, My owned since new Infinity Alpha 50's, 37c and 20's are in use every day, 10's in storage. Still love them. The Alpha line preceded the Betas which preceded the Primus line.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Btw AverageJoeaudio, My owned since new Infinity Alpha 50's, 37c and 20's are in use every day, 10's in storage. Still love them. The Alpha line preceded the Betas which preceded the Primus line.
Wasn't the Alpha line designed primarily for the European market? I had a pair of 20s once and couldn't help but notice that they were manufactured in Scandinavia. I never saw them for sale here. And I think the Entra line actually preceded the Primus line, which means that the Betas were really the end of the line for their good stuff until this new Reference line came out. Been enjoying my Interludes for 11 years now.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Wasn't the Alpha line designed primarily for the European market? I had a pair of 20s once and couldn't help but notice that they were manufactured in Scandinavia. I never saw them for sale here. And I think the Entra line actually preceded the Primus line, which means that the Betas were really the end of the line for their good stuff until this new Reference line came out. Been enjoying my Interludes for 11 years now.
Thanks for your questions. I also had Enta's. The Entra's were a economy line. The Alpha's were sold online by Infinity and at Circuit City. According to techs at Infinity the Alphas were superior to the Betas because of superior materials. Infinity was really into satellite speakers at that time. This was well back in the day. I am very disappointed with Infinity. Seems they have almost left the home speaker market.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I think Harman has decided that this new Reference line is as good as it's going to get at Infinity with Revel taking over from there on up. Concertas aren't that much more expensive (well, $700/pr for M12s). But they don't have the dealer network of Infinity.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think Harman has decided that this new Reference line is as good as it's going to get at Infinity with Revel taking over from there on up. Concertas aren't that much more expensive (well, $700/pr for M12s). But they don't have the dealer network of Infinity.
After spending some time with them, the Reference line really needs to be in some place like Best Buy/Magnolia. Let Frys and Amazon keep the Primus's. If its a line the ends up dying off too soon, I know what I'll build my new HT out of at a nice discount.

21 - 40 of 754 Posts