AVS Forum banner

461 - 480 of 754 Posts

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I had the money and space for the 263s but the only benefit is 3Hz more bass extension... I'm not even sure I would notice that. Might as well go with the smaller, lighter, cheaper speakers if they're going to sound almost identical. I'm happy with the decision.
Exactly. I cross my mains over at 80HZ anyways and my idea of listening at Reference level is like -32 on the Relative scale in my receiver. Room gain is free output for me. Listening to uncompressed music for example at -41 is fairly loud in my sealed space.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get the R253's for fronts, the RC252, and R12 sub. I am contemplating on which speakers to get for surrounds. I can do either the R152's or RS152's. I like the footprint of the R152's slightly better but can accommodate either set. I'd greatly appreciate comments/suggestions. Thanks and happy holidays!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get the R253's for fronts, the RC252, and R12 sub. I am contemplating on which speakers to get for surrounds. I can do either the R152's or RS152's. I like the footprint of the R152's slightly better but can accommodate either set. I'd greatly appreciate comments/suggestions. Thanks and happy holidays!
If it was me, I would get the R152s, only because they're more generally useful speakers. The RS152s can only really be used as surrounds.

I guess the RS152s probably look better when mounted on a wall and provide better dispersion vs. R152s if you couldn't mount the R152s in such a way that they were pointing towards the listening positions. So I'd say the decision should probably come down to where and how you plan to mount them. But I've never really set up a surround sound system before so I don't really know.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hi everyone,

If you have the space the RC263 is well worth the extra money, both for headroom and the more even dispersion of the 3-way design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have the space the RC263 is well worth the extra money, both for headroom and the more even dispersion of the 3-way design.

Wish I had the room for the RC263 but it is just impossible. That RC263 is massive and weighs twice the RC252!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Begin monologue...

Jumped in on the recent Infinity reference deal to replace my 15 year old HKTS 14 system that has been riding with me since highschool.

This seemed like the perfect price point to update speakers, as my HK AVR 135 died 2 years ago and with an update to Denon X3200 they were now the weak link.

Pairs to a drop-down 160 inch Epson projector screen or 65ks8500 depending on the day. Movies on Netflix, Hulu, Plex, as well as music and news so auto switching formats based on source encoding.

As we live in a highrise and don't have unlimited room, I scoped the setup down to the following for a 5.1 against all options on sale.

• 4 RS152 for FL, FR, SL, SR
• 1 RC252 for Center
• 1 R12 for Sub

It was obvious the R12 was underpowered and keeping the HK TS14 sub until I grab an SVS seemed reasonable. R12 returned.

Fiance didn't love the RS152 shape so grabbed 2 R253 for the front stage to get them off the front wall. I initially chose all RS152 over R152 or R162 to get them on a wall and out of the way. I guessed wrong.

When the R253 showed, figured why not try 5.1.2 config and leave the RS152 up for "Atmos", so currently running the following

• 2 R253 for FL, FR
• 4 RS152 for FHL, FHR, SL, SR
• 1 RC252 for Center
• 1 HK TS14 for Sub

I desire having matching speakers, possibly using in a 7.1 config someday with RS152 as rears, so would box up and store the FH RS152 for a later date in a future bigger home due to the great sale.

Thing is, Fiance hates them all, mentions they look like Walmart speakers, and I only have a few days left on return window.

$750 all in as of today, and a shame to return on such a fantastic deal. See nothing close to spec / FQ response / clarity for even double the cost. Only accepted option is KEF T305 5.1 soundbar with same performance as my old HK's I was trying to replace. The 3db is a rock due to the small drivers.

TLDR; Great speakers, too big of cabinets with boring facade for small space, fiance disapproves.

Anything I am missing? Suggestions? Help!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Begin monologue...

Jumped in on the recent Infinity reference deal to replace my 15 year old HKTS 14 system that has been riding with me since highschool.

This seemed like the perfect price point to update speakers, as my HK AVR 135 died 2 years ago and with an update to Denon X3200 they were now the weak link.

Pairs to a drop-down 160 inch Epson projector screen or 65ks8500 depending on the day. Movies on Netflix, Hulu, Plex, as well as music and news so auto switching formats based on source encoding.

As we live in a highrise and don't have unlimited room, I scoped the setup down to the following for a 5.1 against all options on sale.

• 4 RS152 for FL, FR, SL, SR
• 1 RC252 for Center
• 1 R12 for Sub

It was obvious the R12 was underpowered and keeping the HK TS14 sub until I grab an SVS seemed reasonable. R12 returned.

Fiance didn't love the RS152 shape so grabbed 2 R253 for the front stage to get them off the front wall. I initially chose all RS152 over R152 or R162 to get them on a wall and out of the way. I guessed wrong.

When the R253 showed, figured why not try 5.1.2 config and leave the RS152 up for "Atmos", so currently running the following

• 2 R253 for FL, FR
• 4 RS152 for FHL, FHR, SL, SR
• 1 RC252 for Center
• 1 HK TS14 for Sub

I desire having matching speakers, possibly using in a 7.1 config someday with RS152 as rears, so would box up and store the FH RS152 for a later date in a future bigger home due to the great sale.

Thing is, Fiance hates them all, mentions they look like Walmart speakers, and I only have a few days left on return window.

$750 all in as of today, and a shame to return on such a fantastic deal. See nothing close to spec / FQ response / clarity for even double the cost. Only accepted option is KEF T305 5.1 soundbar with same performance as my old HK's I was trying to replace. The 3db is a rock due to the small drivers.

TLDR; Great speakers, too big of cabinets with boring facade for small space, fiance disapproves.

Sounds like a decision to be made within your household and not much we can help with :) Other more attractive options may be something like the Jamo Studio series (S803, S809, S83 center, etc) but as an owner of both the Jamos and various Harman products you will be sacrificing some audio performance for aesthetics. That said, it would still be much better than a soundbar.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, kinda, you didn't tell us how the system sounds!

Re: WAF:

1) If your fiancee is mainly offended by the unusual shape of the RS152s, maybe a compromise is to get rid of those and maybe replace them with regular bookshelf speakers (or nothing).

2) Do you have the grilles on or off? With the grilles on, I would think that the Infinitys look pretty much the same as any other "cheap" speaker, except the Jamos... you're going to really have to throw some $$ at the problem to get something that looks much better, unless you go with the Jamos. If you've had the grilles off, maybe try putting them on.

3) Before going the sound-bar route, maybe think about just keeping the R253s alongside your TV in a 2.0 setup, i.e., get rid of everything else. That will give you a pretty clutter-free setup and sound much better than any sound bar. Lots of people have nice 2.0 setups for TV, movies, and of course music since it's rare that music is anything other than stereo. Surround sound isn't really necessary to enjoy something...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, kinda, you didn't tell us how the system sounds!
I am very happy with the setup, especially with the R253 & RC252 front stage. Sound is crisp for vocals, instrumentals, and movie effects. Ran Audyssey EQ on AVR and auto mode for decoding. Wish i had the SVS sub to pair instead of the old HK, but is performing quite well. RS152 as FL, FR only would be quite weak, though lots of effects passing through the surround RS152, as I countdown the days left playing heavy surround tracks!

In terms of appearance, the grills came off early, as my cat decided they functioned as perfect scratching posts. The depth and bland cabinet are main factors contributing to style failure, so sadly 2.0 or 3.1 is not an option.

I am admitting failure, and migrating to the wonders of double cost for less performance, gaining WAF.

• KEF T301c + T301
    Martin Logan Motion 8i + 4i
    Martin Logan Motion X3 + XL + SLM
RIP midbass, 3db response, and wallet

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am very happy with the setup, especially with the R253 & RC252 front stage. Sound is crisp for vocals, instrumentals, and movie effects. Ran Audyssey EQ on AVR and auto mode for decoding. Wish i had the SVS sub to pair instead of the old HK, but is performing quite well. RS152 as FL, FR only would be quite weak, though lots of effects passing through the surround RS152, as I countdown the days left playing heavy surround tracks!

In terms of appearance, the grills came off early, as my cat decided they functioned as perfect scratching posts. The depth and bland cabinet are main factors contributing to style failure, so sadly 2.0 or 3.1 is not an option.

I am admitting failure, and migrating to the wonders of double cost for less performance, gaining WAF.

• KEF T301c + T301
    Martin Logan Motion 8i + 4i
    Martin Logan Motion X3 + XL + SLM
RIP midbass, 3db response, and wallet
Not to stray too far off topic but if you're giving up performance for looks, save money and get the Jamo stuff. The bass extension of the S809 is pretty reasonable and they are frequently on sale from Fry's for like $229 shipped for the pair. You can also get a full 5.0 set of S803s, S801s, and C81s for as low as $199 off Amazon.

With that said the Infinity will sound better, but the Jamos can be EQd to fairly flat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would have looked into having local professional vinyl services do a new and more asthetically pleasing wrap on the Infinity's. Best of luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The woman who handled my technical support request at Harman was very nice and polite and diligent, she said that she contacted all the relevant internal teams at Harman asking about the spinorama for the R253 and they said they didn't have the file.

I can't really imagine a scenario where Harman didn't do a spinorama on the R253 before releasing it, and I can't really imagine a scenario where they would delete or lose the file, so I'm pretty sure a mistake has been made here somewhere, but I'm not going to press the issue.

R253 (and others) spinorama found here: https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2019/06/harman-consumer-brands-spinorama-data.html

May be you should send this to Harman so they can update their database lol.

·
Registered
683 Posts
R253 (and others) spinorama found here: https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2019/06/harman-consumer-brands-spinorama-data.html

May be you should send this to Harman so they can update their database lol.
Ah, brilliant! I wonder who ended up finding this, and how. Lord knows I looked at every spin on that site several months ago and it wasn't there. Thank you so much. Looks like a great result for the R253.

I wonder what might cause that little hitch at around 2 kHz. Maybe a touch of cone* break-up from the flat piston driver? I believe it's crossed over at 1.8 kHz.

* I guess it's not a cone... surface break-up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not to stray too far off topic but if you're giving up performance for looks, save money and get the Jamo stuff. The bass extension of the S809 is pretty reasonable and they are frequently on sale from Fry's for like $229 shipped for the pair. You can also get a full 5.0 set of S803s, S801s, and C81s for as low as $199 off Amazon.

With that said the Infinity will sound better, but the Jamos can be EQd to fairly flat.
It’s been quite some time since this fiasco began, but while the wallet got hit quite hard in the end, I am happy with the outcome.

Can still post in this thread, as the Infinities have found a home in a barren storage locker for the time being, as my credit card covered their cost due to me missing their return window. Coveted benefit.

Ended up biting the bullet and going with 3 ML SLM XL + 2 SLM + SVS SB-3000 for a 5.1 setup. Tried the 4000 on a steal of a deal, but was impressed with the SWAP of the 3000 for use in a high-rise.

I am looking forward to a pretty amazing Infinity home office stereo as a compromise to a minimalist Living-room when we move in a few months. Cue receiver and sub purchase…

·
Registered
6 Posts
The sale is going on right now, and I have been thinking about using a 10% off coupon, and getting a 5.1 setup of the r162, rc263, and r152.
But someone who has a projector like me, has been asking if it is possible to use three of the center rc263's for LRC, to put below the projector screen.
So how good is the rc263 over the r162, and will it sound better?

On another note, my friend is going to sell me his bw 805 matrix bookshelves, and center for $50 together. How would those sound for a LRC setup, and using perhaps the infinitys in for rears? Are they still relevant for todays home theater use? Will amplification on a typical receiver be an issue?

461 - 480 of 754 Posts