AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1506 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have to say that your posts are rarely dull 🙂 You'd set this up like a trig problem calculating the front-side of right triangles for fairly exact answers but very off the cuff it sounds like you're exposing about 1/3 of the depth to the x-axis, but only a 33% max of that since it's a 30 degree rotation, and you'd offset that by a portion of the width absorbing in the z-axis (again, 1/3 but only 33% max).

Assuming a rectangular shape you can call it about 9.5 inches at the widest horizontal of the biggest imaginary rectangle formed by the speaker's footprint.
Thanks lol. I just want to get everything right. My project exploded into something a lot more ambitious and expensive, and Im getting everything at once. One small incorrect calculation and my screen wont fit, or I might need a different throw lens in my projector, and all sorts of problems that arise. This is one of the simpler issues thankfully, but still it has to be done correct.

Do I understand correctly that even with 30 degree toe in, a 7 7/8 inch wide speaker with the specified depth only becomes 9.5 inches wide?

That's not so bad. It looks like I actually only need to toe in about 19 degrees, since I was visualizing things wrong. I will measure myself soon when things are set up. Finally ordered my AV rack.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thanks lol. I just want to get everything right. My project exploded into something a lot more ambitious and expensive, and Im getting everything at once. One small incorrect calculation and my screen wont fit, or I might need a different throw lens in my projector, and all sorts of problems that arise. This is one of the simpler issues thankfully, but still it has to be done correct.

Do I understand correctly that even with 30 degree toe in, a 7 7/8 inch wide speaker with the specified depth only becomes 9.5 inches wide?

That's not so bad. It looks like I actually only need to toe in about 19 degrees, since I was visualizing things wrong. I will measure myself soon when things are set up. Finally ordered my AV rack.
I explained my assumptions if you wanted to set it up but didn't do the actual math so no, I am not guaranteeing anything. There are factors like the speaker's shape being narrower in the back and at what point along the axis of depth does the width matter the most that impact the practical answer, so I'm just saying that it won't be as much as it might seem. If you want to assume worst-case for a 30-degree toe-in and leave yourself breathing room you can budget for 11 inches and call it a day.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
I have my infinity R263 in the living room on tile floor. Because the speaker is tall and narrow, they are not very stable. My daughter accidentally toppled one. It got some physical damage ( scrapes and scrathes) but nothing major luckily. I felt really bad since the speakers were just two months old then. I have asked my family to be careful around there but I still have a nagging feeling that this might happen again. So I want to get creative. I wonder if anyone has created a solution for this. Know there are thread holes in the bottom for the spikes. I wonder if I can put a wider wood base and screw into those holes. Anyone done this already and are happy with it. Can you post some pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I have my infinity R263 in the living room on tile floor. Because the speaker is tall and narrow, they are not very stable. My daughter accidentally toppled one. It got some physical damage ( scrapes and scrathes) but nothing major luckily. I felt really bad since the speakers were just two months old then. I have asked my family to be careful around there but I still have a nagging feeling that this might happen again. So I want to get creative. I wonder if anyone has created a solution for this. Know there are thread holes in the bottom for the spikes. I wonder if I can put a wider wood base and screw into those holes. Anyone done this already and are happy with it. Can you post some pictures?

If you are really worried about another accident: you may try glueing runners on the base of each speaker .. A simple stip of wood , painted to match the color of your speakers.. No drilling needed.. Btw glue is just as strong as screws ...

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
If you are really worried about another accident: you may try glueing runners on the base of each speaker .. A simple stip of wood , painted to match the color of your speakers.. No drilling needed.. Btw glue is just as strong as screws ...
Are you suggesting to glue to the base of the speaker with the wood strip extending outward on the sides to provide stability? I was thinking of screwing into the feet where there are already metal thread holes for the spikes.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
Long shot here. I have infinity R263 towers and RC263 center.

Has anyone ever heard of Onix Rocket rs760s and Bigfoot center (like Rc263)?

would this be a lateral move? They have beautiful build quality. But are shorter and can’t help but wonder if the r263s sounds better
Haven't heard the Rockets myself but used to read about them all the time here years ago when they were relentlessly promoted and became a "forum darling" for a while before that company went belly up under some rather sketchy circumstances.

My impression is that they are bit of a "dark" or "warm" speaker so you'd be giving up a lot of the Infinitys' clarity and dynamics, in exchange for perhaps a softer tonality that you may or may not prefer during music. If your usage is mainly HT/TV I'd probably stick with the Infinitys.

The Rockets do have pretty cabinets, though. :)

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
Getting the RC263 was the biggest, easiest upgrade in audio quality we've ever heard. We watch a lot of minimal-surround, dialog-focused TV shows and changing the Polk CS245i for the RC263 is an upgrade that pays off every single day. Not sure how a single speaker can make a TV show more immersive but it does.
That's due to the sheer amount of HT/TV output that comes out through the center channel. If HT/TV is your main usage, the other speakers are of trivial importance in comparison, frankly.

It amuses me to no end when I tell people this and those who've invested big bucks in their big pretty tower speakers get their underwear in a knot, lol.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Long shot here. I have infinity R263 towers and RC263 center.

Has anyone ever heard of Onix Rocket rs760s and Bigfoot center (like Rc263)?

would this be a lateral move? They have beautiful build quality. But are shorter and can’t help but wonder if the r263s sounds better
I wonder how 263 compare to jbl 580/590. That center isn’t quite flat cannot stack my tv on it . O well stuck with old Klipch for a while ...

That's due to the sheer amount of HT/TV output that comes out through the center channel. If HT/TV is your main usage, the other speakers are of trivial importance in comparison, frankly.

It amuses me to no end when I tell people this and those who've invested big bucks in their big pretty tower speakers get their underwear in a knot, lol.
Yeah and people who spend thousands unhappy , along with the ones who think kef ls50 can beat much larger speakers 🔊...
even flipping a Tower sideways probably better then my old mtm center ...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Alright I just measured. Because of the depth of the R263 towers, toeing them in about 22 degrees is making then 12 to 13 inch wide speakers. Which is too wide for my space and my desired screen size....

1. How important is it that the front speakers are toed in for 7.x.4 atmos? Can the Denon x4500h make them sound 99% as good if I just have them straight ahead, or only toed halfway towards the listener, not all the way?

2. If not, how deep can I shave off the inner front edge, and the back outside edge, of the speakers, without affecting the performance of the speaker? I need to go from 26 inches combined size of the R263s to 21. So I probably need to shave about an average of about 1.5 inches off the back outer edge, and about 1.5 off the inner front edge. I dont think it's possible. But as much as possible helps.

3. Could anyone recommend good tower speakers to go with RC263 center, and R152 bookshelves, and R263s used as rear speakers in a 7.x.4 setup, that are not as wide+deep as the R263s, but sound as good?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Alright I just measured. Because of the depth of the R263 towers, toeing them in about 22 degrees is making then 12 to 13 inch wide speakers. Which is too wide for my space and my desired screen size....

1. How important is it that the front speakers are toed in for 7.x.4 atmos? Can the Denon x4500h make them sound 99% as good if I just have them straight ahead, or only toed halfway towards the listener, not all the way?

2. If not, how deep can I shave off the inner front edge, and the back outside edge, of the speakers, without affecting the performance of the speaker? I need to go from 26 inches combined size of the R263s to 21. So I probably need to shave about an average of about 1.5 inches off the back outer edge, and about 1.5 off the inner front edge. I dont think it's possible. But as much as possible helps.

3. Could anyone recommend good tower speakers to go with RC263 center, and R152 bookshelves, and R263s used as rear speakers in a 7.x.4 setup, that are not as wide+deep as the R263s, but sound as good?
Also, can anyone recommend on wall speakers for atmos height speakers that will crossover at 80hz? I got the R152s but like the R263s, they are so deep, it is limiting my height atmos window because I can only put them maximum 7.3 feet apart. Is there anything like the R152s, but half as deep or less, that will still crossover at 80hz?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Also, can anyone recommend on wall speakers for atmos height speakers that will crossover at 80hz? I got the R152s but like the R263s, they are so deep, it is limiting my height atmos window because I can only put them maximum 7.3 feet apart. Is there anything like the R152s, but half as deep or less, that will still crossover at 80hz?
Atmos is irrelevant for purposes of toe-in (my early-morning mental math appears to have been off, so good thing you measured) since it impacts imaging in all speaker configurations. Just set it with what sounds best for them given the space you have to work with.

With respect to modifying of you start shaving corners you are risking the joinery. I personally wouldn't do it but my opinion may not be worth much at this point 🙂 No idea on the other speakers, and you may have better luck starting a separate thread.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Atmos is irrelevant for purposes of toe-in (my early-morning mental math appears to have been off, so good thing you measured) since it impacts imaging in all speaker configurations. Just set it with what sounds best for them given the space you have to work with.

With respect to modifying of you start shaving corners you are risking the joinery. I personally wouldn't do it but my opinion may not be worth much at this point 🙂 No idea on the other speakers, and you may have better luck starting a separate thread.
I would only shave off what others who know the design of the R263s tell me is just the wood and wouldnt affect anything. Otherwise I'd have to avoid it 100%.

I didn't mean toe in for "atmos" so much as surround sound. To have the front speakers sound correct. I was always told you're supposed to toe them towards the seating. In fact the 7.x.4 atmos diadram says to toe them in 22 to 30 degrees I think?

So how big a problem to sound quality would it be the viewer is 22 degrees in, but I only toed the towers 10 degrees? Will the system not sound good because of that?

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Are you suggesting to glue to the base of the speaker with the wood strip extending outward on the sides to provide stability? I was thinking of screwing into the feet where there are already metal thread holes for the spikes.

Yes, I'm really not "suggesting" it.. Its a radical fix.. But, they are less expensive speakers , and the "rails" would be stable.. But if you can figure a better fix using the current screw holes ,all the better...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well I sold my r263 and 263 center. I just love my RBH speakers sound, they arent has harsh on the highs and have more detail. However, the infinitys are still incredible for their sale prices.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Well I sold my r263 and 263 center. I just love my RBH speakers sound, they arent has harsh on the highs and have more detail. However, the infinitys are still incredible for their sale prices.
Rbh is like significantly more expensive so I’m not suprized . Revel is closer in price RBH Sound SVTR Tower Reference Speaker Review
Are infinity bright like Klipch? I been looking at them but no access to my money ..
That’s like comparing a Ford gt to a old station 🚉 wagon ....
Some may still like infinity more .

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
I wonder how 263 compare to jbl 580/590. That center isn’t quite flat cannot stack my tv on it . O well stuck with old Klipch for a while ...

Yeah and people who spend thousands unhappy , along with the ones who think kef ls50 can beat much larger speakers ...
even flipping a Tower sideways probably better then my old mtm center ...
I have JBL 590 in my theater room and just a few months ago got Infinity R263 because they were on sale!! I compared the two and while the Infinity produces great sound, the 590 over powers them with a wider sound stage. But for some orchestral pieces with strings, the Infinity was a little bit more refined. I kept the JBL in the theater room and moved the infinity to my family room. It is an open room and does not have good acoustics. The speakers don’t perform that well there because of the room. But they are well worth it if you buy them during the sales (I paid $200 each). I also got the Rc263 for center for the family room. I have. 590 sideways for my center in my theater room.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Rbh is like significantly more expensive so I’m not suprized . Revel is closer in price RBH Sound SVTR Tower Reference Speaker Review
Are infinity bright like Klipch? I been looking at them but no access to my money ..
That’s like comparing a Ford gt to a old station 🚉 wagon ....
Some may still like infinity more .
Well I have their now discontinued impression line, which was far closer in price point.

These infinity speakers are no where near the harshness of klipsch, however the klipsch RP line isnt that bad in the highs.

I don't think the infinity are a bad speaker. My preference is only that, my own. I bet most will be very happy them.

Reactions: Kingcarcas

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Is there nothing that can be done with a receiver's EQ to fix the harshness?

Does harshness just mean not as accurate highs, or does it also mean they are fatiguing to listen to so they're not good for home theater use if you watch movies a lot as a regular habit sometimes for significant hours?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Does harshness just mean not as accurate highs, or does it also mean they are fatiguing to listen to so they're not good for home theater use if you watch movies a lot as a regular habit sometimes for significant hours?
They have some treble lift, but I didn't ever find the Infinity's to be harsh. Of course we all have different preferences. YMMV

1461 - 1480 of 1506 Posts