AVS Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 1506 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have my infinity R263 in the living room on tile floor. Because the speaker is tall and narrow, they are not very stable. My daughter accidentally toppled one. It got some physical damage ( scrapes and scrathes) but nothing major luckily. I felt really bad since the speakers were just two months old then. I have asked my family to be careful around there but I still have a nagging feeling that this might happen again. So I want to get creative. I wonder if anyone has created a solution for this. Know there are thread holes in the bottom for the spikes. I wonder if I can put a wider wood base and screw into those holes. Anyone done this already and are happy with it. Can you post some pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I auditioned the R263's for a few weeks but ended up returning them. I thought I was going to keep them but ended up with the JBL 580's instead. In anticipation of keeping the R263, I made a pair of larger stands because I too was worried about stability. The rubber feet can be left on, you just screw the bolts into the holes where the carpet spikes go. They're not my best work but look good when attached to the speakers. They do help with stability. I don't need the stands and could send them and the the mounting hardware to you just for the cost of shipping. Or, just steal my design.

R263 Stands.jpg

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I auditioned the R263's for a few weeks but ended up returning them. I thought I was going to keep them but ended up with the JBL 580's instead. In anticipation of keeping the R263, I made a pair of larger stands because I too was worried about stability. The rubber feet can be left on, you just screw the bolts into the holes where the carpet spikes go. They're not my best work but look good when attached to the speakers. They do help with stability. I don't need the stands and could send them and the the mounting hardware to you just for the cost of shipping. Or, just steal my design.

View attachment 3116833
Now what about for HT use specifically, combined with a subwoofer?

Because I remember people saying when I made the decision, Infinity or something else like the JBLs, that the JBLs have a fuller sound, better bass, etc, but maybe the Infinity's had cleaner highs, maybe mids, at least definitely the Infinity RC263 center channel did vs the JBL center channel (the weak point of the JBL lineup, apparently), and maybe some of that carried over to the towers too.

But that on the flipside, the Infinities could get a little too high and clean, so to speak, or something.

But people mentioned, for home theater use, if you just have your subs take care of the bass completely, then you're getting the clean mids from the Infinities, the clean bass from the subs, and maybe, I have no idea if this is how it works and no one really specified, the subs can even compensate the highs of the Infinity's and give you sort of the ideal combination, Infinity's = high, subs = low, and together = perfect :D

It's a total oversimplification but do you think, if you were using just for home theater combined with subwoofers, you would have kept the Infinity's, or still JBL will work best in your opinion for home theater with a sub as well?

Maybe the ideal combo (if you have to use a center channel) is the RC263 center, and JBL towers instead of R263s?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now what about for HT use specifically, combined with a subwoofer?

Because I remember people saying when I made the decision, Infinity or something else like the JBLs, that the JBLs have a fuller sound, better bass, etc, but maybe the Infinity's had cleaner highs, maybe mids, at least definitely the Infinity RC263 center channel did vs the JBL center channel (the weak point of the JBL lineup, apparently), and maybe some of that carried over to the towers too.

But that on the flipside, the Infinities could get a little too high and clean, so to speak, or something.

But people mentioned, for home theater use, if you just have your subs take care of the bass completely, then you're getting the clean mids from the Infinities, the clean bass from the subs, and maybe, I have no idea if this is how it works and no one really specified, the subs can even compensate the highs of the Infinity's and give you sort of the ideal combination, Infinity's = high, subs = low, and together = perfect :D

It's a total oversimplification but do you think, if you were using just for home theater combined with subwoofers, you would have kept the Infinity's, or still JBL will work best in your opinion for home theater with a sub as well?

Maybe the ideal combo (if you have to use a center channel) is the RC263 center, and JBL towers instead of R263s?
First off, I am by no means an audiophile. I did have a small amount of time to compare the R263's to the 580's side by side. Had a really hard time deciding between the two. There were some music passages where I felt the highs were a little harsher on the R263's and that was one determining factor in keeping the 580's. Other than that, they both sounded good.

If I'm being honest, the other reason for returning the R263's was I didn't like having to add a stand for stability (I had them on carpet and they were very unstable without the stands I made). Also, the look of the 580's grew on me. Hated them when I saw them online, like them a lot now that they're in my home.

I do have an RC263 for a center channel and I think it sounds great with the 580's. Worst thing about the RC263 was finding a TV stand that would accommodate such a large center. Finally found one on Wayfair and it worked out perfectly.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
First off, I am by no means an audiophile. I did have a small amount of time to compare the R263's to the 580's side by side. Had a really hard time deciding between the two. There were some music passages where I felt the highs were a little harsher on the R263's and that was one determining factor in keeping the 580's. Other than that, they both sounded good.

If I'm being honest, the other reason for returning the R263's was I didn't like having to add a stand for stability (I had them on carpet and they were very unstable without the stands I made). Also, the look of the 580's grew on me. Hated them when I saw them online, like them a lot now that they're in my home.

I do have an RC263 for a center channel and I think it sounds great with the 580's. Worst thing about the RC263 was finding a TV stand that would accommodate such a large center. Finally found one on Wayfair and it worked out perfectly.
How high up is your RC263? If its only like 2-3 feet off the ground, I may need to find that wayfair stand also :D

Otherwise I am hoping U-line has their wire shelving available in like... one shelf high... version, hah. Or two max.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
So lower the treble in the receiver and the speaker is generally speaking 100% accurate, or, it doesn't work that way?
I don't know that I'd use the term 100% accurate, even generally speaking, especially for a passive speaker. Some folks might prefer that type of presentation, but yes if that wasn't to your liking, some type of EQ, including a broad band tone control could be helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How high up is your RC263? If its only like 2-3 feet off the ground, I may need to find that wayfair stand also :D

Otherwise I am hoping U-line has their wire shelving available in like... one shelf high... version, hah. Or two max.
This is the stand I ended up with:

Padilla TV Stand for TVs up to 85"

Forgot to mention it is for an 85" TV so it is rather large. Also, the center shelf is not the dimensions stated in the description. The dimensions are correct for the inside of the shelf, but there is a lip in front that needs to be removed in order to fit the RC263. Once removed, the shelf opens up to the dimensions listed. It was very easy to remove and not noticeable once removed (you do need to stain where you made the two cuts). Speaker sits 14" off the floor. Not ideal, but I can't mount my TV to the wall (er, window) so It's the best I could do.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I don't know that I'd use the term 100% accurate, even generally speaking, especially for a passive speaker. Some folks might prefer that type of presentation, but yes if that wasn't to your liking, some type of EQ, including a broad band tone control could be helpful.
Are you saying powered speakers generally perform better than passive? Am I correct those are more expensive? Plus they take more power.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Is there nothing that can be done with a receiver's EQ to fix the harshness?

Does harshness just mean not as accurate highs, or does it also mean they are fatiguing to listen to so they're not good for home theater use if you watch movies a lot as a regular habit sometimes for significant hours?
I played with the multuEQ app for a couple weeks. In the end, I thought the RBH speakers sounded better with and without EQ applied. I am not claiming the infinity speakers are terrible by any means. They are very high value speakers, sonically.

Reactions: Technology3456

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I played with the multuEQ app for a couple weeks. In the end, I thought the RBH speakers sounded better with and without EQ applied. I am not claiming the infinity speakers are terrible by any means. They are very high value speakers, sonically.
Thanks for sharing your comparison. Very helpful. Hopefully for HT use, using the subs for bass, it will mix well with the Infinity's more treble tone and work well. I think even during the sale, the JBL's were more expensive, and what you got may be the same or more expensive than the JBL's. Still I probably could have gotten the JBL's on sale.

How wide and deep are your towers, and the JBLs? Because the R263 towers are already giving me issues with how deep they are, despite being not super wide, so I think maybe nothing else would work better for me except something smaller.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts

View attachment 3116833
This is almost exactly what I ended up doing but instead of a single piece of wood, I got poplar strips and painted and screwed into the holes for the carpet spikes. Then is struck felt pads on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Is there nothing that can be done with a receiver's EQ to fix the harshness?

Does harshness just mean not as accurate highs, or does it also mean they are fatiguing to listen to so they're not good for home theater use if you watch movies a lot as a regular habit sometimes for significant hours?
Yes 🙌 sadly people have returned or sold infinity for high end ... too lazy to eq
My onkyo has a equalizer I just lowered top end treble on a different brand speakers Klipch icons. Downside is there too bright for most people , newer models fixed this .
I went -6 db on last 3 treble settings it worked less ear pain now .
I’d like to get the infinity someday 263 look nice 👍

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
This is almost exactly what I ended up doing but instead of a single piece of wood, I got poplar strips and painted and screwed into the holes for the carpet spikes. Then is struck felt pads on the bottom.

That worked out well...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Always wondered how the Infinity R12 subwoofer sounded, especially when they go on sale for $169.99. So I finally bought one to try out.

So far I love it. My impression is that the sub looks and sounds good. I tried it on my desktop (no eq) and then my garage (mixed with my 12inch DIY seald sub and EQ with computer software) where I workout due to COVID. I do have a few subwoofers I can compare it to. I have Velodyne Impact 10, Velodyne VX11, Dayton 12inch HO subwoofer in sealed cabinet and 2 Outlaw X12 subs. Obviously the most powerful sub is my Outlaw but that is in my living room using a Audyssey XT32 for eq'ing so not a fair comparison.

On my desktop with no EQ, it sounded a hell of a lot more powerful then the Velodyne. It can shake the desk if I play too loud. I can get the Velodyne loud but then it gets boomy. I could EQ on my desktop but don't bother since I never put it loud and usually use headphones anyways to not bother my family. Just tried it out there and definitely an upgrade to the 10inch Velodynes.

I moved it to my garage, which is where I did most of my tests. What I noticed is if I put my Velodynes, either one or both, they are boomy in the garage. Even if I EQ it, it sounds cheap. They work much better at my desk. Maybe its the room acoustics. The Dayton 12inch HO DIY is much much better at my garage. I can crank it loud and it will also get boomy but never as bad as the Velodynes. I EQ it out and that removes the boominess. I tried the Infinity R12 in the garage. Much more impact then the Dayton but does get more boomy too. I EQ it out and it sounds great. Both are good. I add both together and play with my REW software, change the phase, etc. and get it to produce very good, tight bass in the garage. This includes multiple areas within the garage. Unfortunately, I have a null around 35hz in the room but oh well.

Bottom line, the Infinity R12 is a great sub if you can set it up right. I think all subs need EQ to get them sounding the best. I've read reviews where people say the Infinity R12 sounds like sht, boomy, can't compare, etc. and I think BS. Didn't set it up right or something. For $169, its a great deal. I wouldn't pay $499 for it but definitely would for the sale price.

I also have the Infinity 152 speaker and the Revel M16 speaker. The Revel's are better of course but the Infinity's are 85% of the Revels and much cheaper if on sale.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What do you guys use to angle the RC263 towards the listener's ears? Or would simply using the included rubber feet only in front pf the speaker be enough?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,231 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Always wondered how the Infinity R12 subwoofer sounded, especially when they go on sale for $169.99. So I finally bought one to try out.

So far I love it. My impression is that the sub looks and sounds good. I tried it on my desktop (no eq) and then my garage (mixed with my 12inch DIY seald sub and EQ with computer software) where I workout due to COVID. I do have a few subwoofers I can compare it to. I have Velodyne Impact 10, Velodyne VX11, Dayton 12inch HO subwoofer in sealed cabinet and 2 Outlaw X12 subs. Obviously the most powerful sub is my Outlaw but that is in my living room using a Audyssey XT32 for eq'ing so not a fair comparison.

On my desktop with no EQ, it sounded a hell of a lot more powerful then the Velodyne. It can shake the desk if I play too loud. I can get the Velodyne loud but then it gets boomy. I could EQ on my desktop but don't bother since I never put it loud and usually use headphones anyways to not bother my family. Just tried it out there and definitely an upgrade to the 10inch Velodynes.

I moved it to my garage, which is where I did most of my tests. What I noticed is if I put my Velodynes, either one or both, they are boomy in the garage. Even if I EQ it, it sounds cheap. They work much better at my desk. Maybe its the room acoustics. The Dayton 12inch HO DIY is much much better at my garage. I can crank it loud and it will also get boomy but never as bad as the Velodynes. I EQ it out and that removes the boominess. I tried the Infinity R12 in the garage. Much more impact then the Dayton but does get more boomy too. I EQ it out and it sounds great. Both are good. I add both together and play with my REW software, change the phase, etc. and get it to produce very good, tight bass in the garage. This includes multiple areas within the garage. Unfortunately, I have a null around 35hz in the room but oh well.

Bottom line, the Infinity R12 is a great sub if you can set it up right. I think all subs need EQ to get them sounding the best. I've read reviews where people say the Infinity R12 sounds like sht, boomy, can't compare, etc. and I think BS. Didn't set it up right or something. For $169, its a great deal. I wouldn't pay $499 for it but definitely would for the sale price.

I also have the Infinity 152 speaker and the Revel M16 speaker. The Revel's are better of course but the Infinity's are 85% of the Revels and much cheaper if on sale.
Hard to beat a sub that cheap, I wonder why jbl version is sealed and $100 more at full price ?? Next closest prices sub

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
Does it have to be an exact angle or would one rubber doorstop wedge usually do? My RC263 is right below my LG 55C9 (which has its center at eye level).
Nothing needs to be "exact" in this hobby. :)
You can certainly try one, but for a longer/bigger center like that I would think 2 is better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I got this , my center was on a 16” stand , and it helped

S&T INC. Heavy Duty Rubber Residential and Commercial Use Door Stopper, 4 Pack, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHPPY6...abc_0JTK4ED6HW0915A2TJ83?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks!
Nothing needs to be "exact" in this hobby. :)
You can certainly try one, but for a longer/bigger center like that I would think 2 is better.
Lol, you're right. I can probably use something like this so that I can stack if I need to:

I'm worried about their light color though. I'll see if I can find a black one.

And just to make sure, you're saying 2" in height, correct? Or 2 pieces?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1481 - 1500 of 1506 Posts