AVS Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1565 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
So even the JBL's are a little bright, but people say the Infinity's are brighter? Hmm. I think Harmon has a month return policy so if you want to try them you have that option. They're fairly big to pack and move though. I couldn't advise you whether the 263s or 253s are the way to go. I got the 263's on sale but they were still, I dont remember, $50 more than the 253's per speaker.

One thing everyone seemed to agree on is that the Infinity RC263 is the best center channel in the price range, and better than the JBL center. Some even used it with JBL towers rather than use the JBL center.
I thought the Infinity's were just a bit bright. I didn't think of the JBL 530 as bright but slightly forward sounding. Both are good budget speakers that play well in the $400-$500 range imo. They aren't giant killers, like one might assume from reading online, but they are a great value.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I thought the Infinity's were just a bit bright. I didn't think of the JBL 530 as bright but slightly forward sounding. Both are good budget speakers that play well in the $400-$500 range imo. They aren't giant killers, like one might assume from reading online, but they are a great value.
Do you think there is anything better in that price range?

·
Registered
22,288 Posts
Al I can recommend is do something, even if it might be wrong.
Doing nothing, is especially wrong, assuming you are really shopping of course.
^ THIS.

Reactions: T-Bone and fatherom

·
Registered
22,288 Posts
Actual measurements and comments from experienced, reliable reviewers have shown the Infinity Reference series to have a rising high end and the JBL Studio 5 series to have a flatter, smoother response with less brightness.
Does that apply to the JBL Studio 5 series vs JBL Stage A series, too?

Just wondering since the A130s are back to their $180/pr sale price while the Studio 530s have been stuck at full retail along with the rest of the Studio 5s for several months now.

I vaguely remember seeing ASR being very impressed with the A130, but don't recall his thoughts on the 530s. Wonder how much of a performance gap between those 2, if any...desktop use scenario.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Does that apply to the JBL Studio 5 series vs JBL Stage A series, too?

Just wondering since the A130s are back to their $180/pr sale price while the Studio 530s have been stuck at full retail along with the rest of the Studio 5s for several months now.

I vaguely remember seeing ASR being very impressed with the A130, but don't recall his thoughts on the 530s. Wonder how much of a performance gap between those 2, if any...desktop use scenario.
Amir liked the A130's more extended bass over the 530 even though using a sub would have eliminated that advantage. He also found the A130 closer to his optimum when EQed than he found the 530. The A130 had upper midrange peaks and resonances that he EQed and he EQed the 530 with a shelf boost under 200 Hz and also for a resonance. Of course most owners don't do that level of detailed EQing so the impressions of how they sound without EQ would be of more interest.

Anyone trying to choose between the 530 and the A130 should look at ASR's Klippel measurements and read Amir's comments as well as other reviews and user comments to get a better idea of the similarities and differences in their sound profiles.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I don't think it will work because the beams prevent 45 degree tilt down and in, but, I want to confirm if that's necessary.

When I asked about toeing in the R263's, I was told they have wide dispersion so it's not necessary. But, that is a horizontal thing, not vertical. And those are the R263's, not R152 bookshelves. How tilted do the R152's need to be if mounted onto beams that come down from the ceiling? Like this except imagine my arms were 3 inches longer and it was up higher by the ceiling. Infinity R152 ceiling mounting 2.JPG

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Do you think there is anything better in that price range?
Not at their frequent sale prices. I wouldn't be surprised if the Emotiva B1+ sounded better but I haven't heard them so I can't really say. Just speculation from all I've read. At the Infinity/JBL msrp there may be better options, but most likely just different sounding speakers, not necessarily better. The Triangle Bro3's would be on my short list. The used market is always a great option. Paradigm Studio's, Monitor Audio Silver's (which I recently picked up), NHT SB2/SB3, POLK LSI/LSIM. Really just depends on what type of sound signature you prefer.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
When I asked about toeing in the R263's, I was told they have wide dispersion so it's not necessary. But, that is a horizontal thing, not vertical. And those are the R263's, imagine my arms were 3 inches longer and it was up higher by the ceiling.
The R263 a good review ... and speaks about placement

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
The R263 a good review ... and speaks about placement
Thank you I appreciate it, but please reread my post. I apologize if it's not clear. I am asking about R152 placement (tilt) on the ceiling, not about R263's. Let me know if something is written in a confusing way and I will change it.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Thank you I appreciate it, but please reread my post. I apologize if it's not clear. I am asking about R152 placement (tilt) on the ceiling,
You seem to be heavy into science thinking.:) ... the only answer I can give you is to test with a good adjustable mount in your home to find what is the best placement (angle) for your ears ... and I would think about maybe testing also with the speaker upside down where the tweeter is on the bottom. ... but if you are still thinking about other choices then the RSL inceiling or KEF or Canton inceiling may be an option for you ... and SVS Prime elevation for wall mounting if you want to pay their price

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
You seem to be heavy into science thinking.:) ... the only answer I can give you is to test with a good adjustable mount in your home to find what is best placement (angle) for your ears ... and I would think about maybe testing also with the speaker upside down where the tweeter is on the bottom. ... but if you are still thinking about other choices then the RSL inceiling or KEF or Canton inceiling may be an option for you ... and SVS Prime elevation for wall mounting if you want to pay their price
It's tricky to mount the bookshelves so I only want to do it if it will work to not have them tilted much. I agree trial and error is ideal but not in this case. I just need to know if it has like 80 degree off axis below the bookshelf speaker, or 40 degrees, and then I can see how much I can tilt it, and see if the listening position will still be well within the speaker's axis even with minimal tilt, or not. Based on that I can decide whether to buy mounts for the R152 bookshelves and mount them, or just go with other options.

RSL inceiling or KEF or Canton inceiling
Do you know the models? I need to check they are all under 10 inches diameter. And if they all fit, do you know the tradeoffs between each? How do they perform compared to each other, and how are they priced compared to each other?

and SVS Prime elevation for wall mounting if you want to pay their price
I like the angle of it and how it just goes on the ceiling instead of in the ceiling, but still is tilted. Do you know of any other ones I should look at that are shaped similar to this one, that might be better a similar price?

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
It's tricky to mount the bookshelves so I only want to do it if it will work to not have them tilted much. I agree trial and error is ideal but not in this case. I just need to know if it has like 80 degree off axis below the bookshelf speaker, or 40 degrees, and then I can see how much I can tilt it, and see if the listening position will still be well within the speaker's axis even with minimal tilt, or not. Based on that I can decide whether to buy mounts for the R152 bookshelves and mount them, or just go with other options.
Look at how the R162 performed, the same tweeter and waveguide ... maybe go over there and also ask them

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't think it will work because the beams prevent 45 degree tilt down and in, but, I want to confirm if that's necessary.

When I asked about toeing in the R263's, I was told they have wide dispersion so it's not necessary. But, that is a horizontal thing, not vertical. And those are the R263's, not R152 bookshelves. How tilted do the R152's need to be if mounted onto beams that come down from the ceiling? Like this except imagine my arms were 3 inches longer and it was up higher by the ceiling. View attachment 3134351
I think that would be fine. If you think about it, the ideal side mounted surround is a few feet above ear level pointed straight. So if yours are a few feet higher yet but slightly tilted down I think you'll be good. You don't want them pointed directly at your ears.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Look at how the R162 performed, the same tweeter and waveguide ... maybe go over there and also ask them
Thanks for sharing that. I honestly dont understand where any of the graphs show how far off axis you can be from the speaker without the sound changing. I've picked up a lot since I joined the forum, but regarding speaker graphs and axises, I still don't know #[email protected]!.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I think that would be fine. If you think about it, the ideal side mounted surround is a few feet above ear level pointed straight. So if yours are a few feet higher yet but slightly tilted down I think you'll be good. You don't want them pointed directly at your ears.
Im asking for atmos ceiling placement, not surround. They will be on the ceiling about 7.5 feet high, and 2.5 - 3 feet in front and in back of the seating, and about 5 feet to the side of the seating. Do they need to be pointed down at the listener from up there, or can they be facing parallel to the ceiling and still work?

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Do they need to be pointed down at the listener from up there, or can they be facing parallel to the ceiling and still work?
Have you seen this ... scroll down

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Im asking for atmos ceiling placement, not surround. They will be on the ceiling about 7.5 feet high, and 2.5 - 3 feet in front and in back of the seating, and about 5 feet to the side of the seating. Do they need to be pointed down at the listener from up there, or can they be facing parallel to the ceiling and still work?
My bad. Atmos speakers should be pointed down.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
My bad. Atmos speakers should be pointed down.
No problem. Yeah that's normally true but if the Infinity's have really wide off axis response, then maybe they wouldnt as much? Someone told me over PM that due to this, maybe just 20 degrees downward tilt would be enough with the R152's. That's what I was trying to determine. But I agree with you that with most speakers it would be out of the question.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
This is why I think the RS152 would be better for this. It has an angled face, is a little bit more diffused (consensus seems to be this is preferred), and they come with a mounting plate already installed, no modifications needed.

Reactions: Technology3456

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
This is why I think the RS152 would be better for this. It has an angled face, is a little bit more diffused (consensus seems to be this is preferred), and they come with a mounting plate already installed, no modifications needed.
Yeah you're right they would be much better for my space. Pretty much every option though including the RS152's is just big considering the atmos rectangle I have is small. I have excess width maybe, which the 15 inch wide RS152's would push but that it could probably absorb just barely. 10 and 1/18 inches height is same as most options, and they all cut down my rectangle 5 inches front and back (from center of the speaker to center of the speaker). Something 7 inches tall would be better but maybe there are no speakers that can perform like this that are also that small.

Almost 8 inches depth... similar to most options, but because I already have low ceilings, 4-5 inches depth would also be a lot better. But, dont know if those exist either with good sound.

So Im not sure which way to go. Of the big ones, these and the SVS Prime Elevation's would be best so far. And those are a bit smaller. Much smaller if you count width, but since width isnt as much a problem for me, I just mean with height/depth they're only a bit smaller. So I dont know which to get, RS152 vs SVS Prime Elevations, or, preferably, if there is something of similar quality/price, but smaller...

1521 - 1540 of 1565 Posts