AVS Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1565 Posts

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I would love to mount these to a wooden wedge on the ceiling to get just the right angle. Too bad we can't buy them here.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I would love to mount these to a wooden wedge on the ceiling to get just the right angle. Too bad we can't buy them here.

Are these a recommendation for my usage, or you just mean for your setup? The depth looks great... but yes says unavailable.

If they were available, how do their performance compare to R152's, and what did they used to cost? If you think of anything that is available but also the right size like these, let me know. But see even these I wonder, once I add the mount and then tilt them all the way down to the viewer, will their depth now be about the same as the SVS prime elevation at the point?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I have to agree on this too :)

He's already purchased at least 5.1 speakers and a receiver which he hasn't set up yet.

If it were me, I would buy something and set them up in my room by placing against a wall to mimic a ceiling. And I would stand a certain distance away from them on axis and I would move off axis and listen for any tonal changes.

And also listen for a decrease in sound level as I moved both off axis to on axis.

Of course the best off axis degree would be comparable to what he'll have when sitting in his chair and those speakers are ceiling mounted for Atmos.

All of these gyrations and speculations and suppositions. He could have had his answer months ago. Sometimes you just got to stop asking and start buying :)

-T

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
In a 7.x.4 setup using all Infinity's except possibly atmos which would be better and why, the RS152's or R152's, for the following?
  • side surrounds
  • rear surrounds
  • atmos speakers
Edit: found a size winner so far for atmos heights: Airmotiv A1 Pair Atmos Reflective / Height Speaker. Also this could work depending on mounting/tilting Polk Audio OWM3 (Black) Multi-purpose home theater speakers at Crutchfield.

Would those go better with Infinities, or SVS Prime Elevations, or this (XTZ Spirit 2 wallspeaker - XTZ Sound in Balance) if it can be found? That would only work if it's only important to tilt speakers to MLP, not point them lengthwise towards center ceiling above MLP? RS152's are also an option, but provide worse elevation angle and tilt toward MLP than these can in my space.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
For 7.x.4 surround, is it recommended the rears have the same woofers as the fronts?. I read the R162 bookshelves, which have 6.5 woofers same as my R263, RC263, R263 LCR speakers, have some issue b/c of a big woofer so close to the tweeter, so I went with the R152 bookshelves.

But even if they are better independently, now the woofers don't match the LCR's. So whats more important? Better independent performance, or matching woofers? Edit: Also I was going to use RS152 dipoles for side surrounds, but saw this:

If you plan to add Atmos you don't want dipoles for surrounds nor do you want to mount them high up near the ceiling. So the R152 would be a better choice.
For 7.x.4, is it recommended I dont use RS152's for side surrounds with atmos? Also Dolby says to use wide dispersion speakers for atmos heights to create the cinema feel of high ceilings. But someone else told me not to use dipoles (RS152's) for atmos heights so I'm unsure.

TLDR:
  • R162's vs R152's to go with 263 LCR speakers?
  • RS152's recommended for side surrounds in atmos setup or not?
  • RS152's recommended for atmos heights or not?

·
Registered
384 Posts
What' the best wall mounting bracket that I can use for the R152's as surrounds and that would allow me to point them down a bit towards the MLP without any modifications to the speaker box?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
For 7.x.4, is it recommended I dont use RS152's for side surrounds with atmos? Also Dolby says to use wide dispersion speakers for atmos heights to create the cinema feel of high ceilings. But someone else told me not to use dipoles (RS152's) for atmos heights so I'm unsure.
Not sure why this guy ended up banned, but in case anyone else sees this, RS152's are bipolar speakers and are fine with Atmos.

Reactions: Technology3456

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was comparing my R152s to my R162s a few days ago, and the R152s seemed to sound better and smoother. Anybody else has the same impression? My room is 12'x14' and I could only allow 12 inches for the port clearance, not sure if these factors play a role.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I was comparing my R152s to my R162s a few days ago, and the R152s seemed to sound better and smoother. Anybody else has the same impression? My room is 12'x14' and I could only allow 12 inches for the port clearance, not sure if these factors play a role.
I apologize I don't remember where I read it, because it was maybe 6 months ago, but I read something about, due to the 6.5" woofer (hopefully that's correct) in the R162's being in a bookshelf that size that close to the tweeter, it maybe created some issue in the frequency response that was not as flat as the R152's with their 5.25" woofer.

I barely remember what I read about it, and I'm not knowledgeable about speakers (at all), but in the most laymen terms based on what I can remember, it was basically that the smaller 5.25" woofer was actually more in balance with that tweeter, at the distance the two were located on the speaker, than the tweeter and 6.5" woofer on the R162. It might have been in an online review of the R162, it might have been a post on any number of forums that came up on google. More likely it was a review though.

Because I dont remember it exactly, I'd recommend anyone reading to verify it before concluding it's 100% true or accurate. I know I read something about this but it's hazy. I've read tens of thousands of posts since then. And either way, the R162 does have a bigger woofer, so it can probably dig deeper. Maybe it depends what's important to you.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
RC263 owners:

The 400 Hz - 1000 Hz off-axis power drop and waistbanding in the directivity is concerning as this is a crucial content range for off-axis listeners. Among other things, voices will sound different to off-axis listeners, based on the measurements.

Can an owner corroborate this?

·
Registered
183 Posts
In my downstairs unit, I have 4 263's and the RC263 center. I think the center is a great value for the $. I use this setup exclusively for TV/Streaming/Movies. I think the 263s are just ok. Not very dynamic. Wonder if this is just a setup issue or have others with 263s noticed that they don't really come to life in any meaningful way? I don't want to get rid of them as they were secured new at a realy good price and they have Atmos toppers that fit perfectly on them. That said, I am tempted to try JBL 580s as my 590s are much more dynamic to my ear. I'm not sure if the 580 would be much improvement over the 263 or likely that's just a lateral move and I'd lose my Atmos due to the 580 being sloped at the top. (can't do ceiling in that room).

Just wanted to see if anyone else has felt similar about the 263s or maybe I just need to play with the levels/eq a little.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
In my downstairs unit, I have 4 263's and the RC263 center. I think the center is a great value for the $. I use this setup exclusively for TV/Streaming/Movies. I think the 263s are just ok. Not very dynamic. Wonder if this is just a setup issue or have others with 263s noticed that they don't really come to life in any meaningful way? I don't want to get rid of them as they were secured new at a realy good price and they have Atmos toppers that fit perfectly on them. That said, I am tempted to try JBL 580s as my 590s are much more dynamic to my ear. I'm not sure if the 580 would be much improvement over the 263 or likely that's just a lateral move and I'd lose my Atmos due to the 580 being sloped at the top. (can't do ceiling in that room).

Just wanted to see if anyone else has felt similar about the 263s or maybe I just need to play with the levels/eq a little.
Do you notice any different in listening fatigue with the Infinities vs the JBL's? I think the JBL's have horn tweeters, the Infinities have something else. I cant tell you if people feel the Infinities aren't dynamic, just that it seems most agree with you the JBL's are more dynamic, or have "more soundstage," more bass, stuff like that. Whereas if the Infinities have an advantage, there were comments about the dialogue clarity, high end range, or mid range, but some felt at the cost of being too bright in places. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,720 Posts
RC263 owners:

View attachment 3142362
View attachment 3142363

The 400 Hz - 1000 Hz off-axis power drop and waistbanding in the directivity is concerning as this is a crucial content range for off-axis listeners. Among other things, voices will sound different to off-axis listeners, based on the measurements.

Can an owner corroborate this?
The narrow part of that waistband is still 40+ degrees…..which is pretty wide coverage. I'll see if I can dig up the responses across the entire width of all my seating with my RC263, compared to my F36...

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I figured out my seats are +/- 20 degrees, so in my current situation it wouldn't be terrible, but still not as good as a vertical speaker.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,720 Posts
Ok, here's a comparison of one of my F36 across all seats in my room, then the RC263. The F36 is obviously better, but I think the RC263 does pretty well for a horizontal center. I can switch it on and off at any time, and I do often go back and forth to compare, but in the end, it always stays on.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Ok, here's a comparison of one of my F36 across all seats in my room, then the RC263. The F36 is obviously better, but I think the RC263 does pretty well for a horizontal center. I can switch it on and off at any time, and I do often go back and forth to compare, but in the end, it always stays on.
View attachment 3143271

View attachment 3143272
Other than that bump at 1.3 .. That's very competitive.. I heard the f36s a couple of days ago.. That's a clean sound...i couldn't believe how detailed the bass was...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Other than that bump at 1.3 .. That's very competitive.. I heard the f36s a couple of days ago.. That's a clean sound...i couldn't believe how detailed the bass was...
I have F35s and someone local was selling a pair of like-new F36s back around Christmas for $700... took him a month to sell them. I was sorely tempted many times.

On topic, the RC263 was a seamless pairing with my M16s that I had at the time. I've no doubt it would be the same with the 35s/36s.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I have F35s and someone local was selling a pair of like-new F36s back around Christmas for $700... took him a month to sell them. I was sorely tempted many times.

On topic, the RC263 was a seamless pairing with my M16s that I had at the time. I've no doubt it would be the same with the 35s/36s.
I would jump all over f36s at $700,a steal...

Reactions: bear123

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
There are some F36's being sold near me for a LOT more than that. I won't come close to paying what they want for it. But how much better are F36's vs. Infinity R263s?
Not sure how helpful this is but based on my experience with the RC263 paired with the F35s, I'd say 15% or so. The finish and build quality, however, is much better on the Revels, so you will realize huge gains there if that is important to you.

1541 - 1560 of 1565 Posts