AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a older Infinity BU-120 12" Sub from a inlaw that upgraded after the problematic C6 Capacitor...I own a two HSU subs and love them but was thinking I would atleast fix the Infinity since the enclosure and driver are fine.

Maybe for a extra midbass module or fix it and use it for another system.

The one problem is the cutout size for the amp plate. The current cutout is

7 3/8 W x 6" T and there is nowhere I can find a match. I do have alittle space within the sub to cut out some room but not much..the width is limited due to where the two ports are located and I am really limited to the height since the woofer and a piece of wood limits the option to cut out much more.

The most I could cut would be 8 1/4" W x 7" T...

Is this really worth looking into or should I trash it or atleast keep the driver to sell or maybe in the future build one?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you can get the proper service manual, then you might check a few capacitors to see if they need replacement. In another forum, a repair tech had repaired a number of BU-120s that were still under warranty. He indicated that after replacing the 50 volt C6 capacitor with an 100 volt capacitor that the Infinity BU-120 sub did not come back for further repair.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been trying to find some info about replacement amps too. I came across a BU-120 for $40 on craiglist. My search will continue.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This solution may not be appropriate for you. My son just replaced a JBL amp on my 9+ year old PSW-D115 with a PE 500w BASH amp. The old amp was 7"x13" and the new is 8"x12". Rather than cut, patch, meticulously repair the old enclosure, he used 2"x4"s in a rectangular shape that were glued to the old enclosure. The new amp is only 3.5" deep. He had to extend the existing speaker wires about 4-6 inches and make sure that there was a good air seal. This solution will only work in situations where the rectangular shape is sufficiently small to not cover part of the port.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So I bought it for $40 and it's working great (well except my set up being in the basement). I was looking on parts-express website and if/when I do replace the amp I'll just cover the hole from the old amp with a piece of wood and attach the new one to that. It won't look pretty but it's not a work of art hanging on my wall either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts