AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Infinity TSS-450 6.1 speaker system. The entire system was sitting for a while unplugged and when I plugged it back in the subwoofer started going crazy. I could not get it to power on. It just made a thud-thud-thud sound. I took it apart and could not find anything obvious. Called Infinity tech support and they said it sounds like the amp died. I called repair center, they said amp is like $200 installed. This system is from 2005 or so, so its out of warranty.... but it only has maybe like 15 hours of use time on it.

Is there a cheap way to fix this or should I just buy a used 100+/- watt sub off craigslist? I'm not paying $200 to repair a 6 year old sub. It makes no sense. The rest of the speakers are all fine and the Sony receiver is still great.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I don't know the issue. It sounds like since you actually hear a thud, the problem is likely with the amp. Maybe you can try more than one reciever and/or sub cable to make sure the problem is actually with the sub. Look and see if the driver is ripped.

Sometimes when something like that sits in the basement for a long time, a mouse finds it to be a nice cozy home and chews through a wire or two.

Infinity has a history of producing models that have amp issues, so your sub may be one of those. To be fair, they've have also made some great sube for the money.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No signs of any mouse damage or wiring damage. It thud-thud-thuds connected or not connected to the receiver. The receiver is not the problem.

What should I get to replace it? That seems to be the best option.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz /forum/post/20870302

Should I just avoid getting another Infinity sub?

Probably. You can get a better sub for under $200. Many suggest the bic F12 for 180 and change from amazon. I don't actually own one nor have I ever heard one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.