AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, been dredging the forum trying to find info on each of the aforementioned brands, but it gets to be too much after a while, cause "it is all subjective"

So, I'm gonna approach this like an on line dating service. I am going to throw out the basics on each option I have available for my home and then you guys and gals can match me to my ideal mate. (que the Fiddler on the Roof/Matchmaker music"

Scenario: I have a lot CC points that I am going to use to pick these speakers. I am choosing from a catalog that has set options so I am planning on sticking with this small line of choices. I live in a small town in northern AZ and can really only hear the Polk speakers in a local store. The other's I just have to choose on recommendations. They all need to do a good job with 2 channel stereo (Tool, Mumford and Sons, The Reverend Horton Heat, Owl City, Foster the People) & make for a fun family movie night experience. Tangled, anyone?

Receiver: Sony STR DN 1020 (NIB). Only planning on building a 5.1 system

**Thought bubble** I should pick the most efficient speaker because of my modest receiver

Here are the options:

1. Infinity Primus 253 - 91db sensitivity, 2 way design (2 separate 5.25" drivers, .75" tweeter, crossover 2500), freq resp 49-20K, with 251 center (2 5.25" drivers) with PS410 10" sub (can get Primus 163 bookshelf speaker instead of 253 floor model)

2. Canton GLE 470 - 90db sensitivity, 2 way design (2 separate 7"drivers, crossovers set at 300/3200, ported enclosure) 1" silk dome tweeter, freq response 30 - 30khz NO bi amp capability (of course), Center and sub not available from the CC points catalog

3. Polk Tsi 400 - 90db, 3 way design (3 5.25" drivers, crossover 2500, ported enclosure) 1" silk dome tweeter, freq response 34-25Khz, bi amp capable, center and sub not available from the CC points catalog

4. Yamaha 555 or 777 - 88db, 3 way design (2 8" woofers, 1 5" mid, crossovers set at ??) 1" aluminum dome tweeter, freq response 30-35Khz, bass reflex design, bi amp capable, 6 ohm. no center or sub available from CC points catalog. NOTE 555 same as 777 with subtraction of 1 8" woofer

5. Yamaha NS F150 - 88db, 2 way design (2 6.5" drivers, crossover set at ??) 1" soft dome tweeter, freq response 37-30khz, bass reflex design, 6 ohm, NO bi amp. NO center or sub available from CC points catalog.

SOooooooo, my head says go w the Infinity primus system. Even though I have not heard it, it starts out with a lot of the best features on paper. I could even swap out the 253 floorstanding speakers for the 163 bookshelf speakers (to improve the WAF).

I can get the Polk's in cherry (improves the WAF)

but the Canton's just seem like the coolest and the reviews on line make them seem like the second coming!!

So, now what?!?!?! signed, Flummoxed in Flagstaff

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you have not herd the Canotns I would "try" to have a listen to them... even if you have to drive a bit to hear them, imo the are the best pick out of the 5 options you listed. As you mentioned "it is all subjective" in whcih is very true but... they have an excellent sount not only for music but do a great job for the HT as well. As far as a center go's you can keep an eye out for online specials. Ebay or Audiogon as you can get a decent price. Sub?? I would go with wht suites your budge t& size such on the lines of SVS, HSU just to name a few that is.

Anyhow... Canton have my vote! I dont have the Cantons yet but I have had the chance to listen to them at the local AV store as they will be my next upgrade once I get the HT set up complete down stairs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I know I'm not being objective but my vote goes to the NS-555 which I have and really like... looks & sound quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insights. It's good to hear some opinions about Yamaha speakers. They get really good reviews on Amazon and it does seem like Yamaha builds a good product.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVholic /forum/post/20906714

I know I'm not being objective but my vote goes to the NS-555 which I have and really like... looks & sound quality.

I wish I could get some of those, those are simply amazing speakers

·
Registered
157 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I will throw in my vote for Yamaha. I still own my NS-1000M's bought in the 70's, a pair of cheapo NS-300's and some NS-6HX. I just cannot fault these speakers. My only comments would be that you have to like a "clean" sound which is maybe part of the Yamaha design philosophy. Secondly, they sound great (to my ears) all the time, but when you crank them up a few notches they REALLY shine. Finally, some may feel that they lack a bit of bass, and this may be true at low listenning levels (I have a sub to help out in those cases). But again, when they're turned up a bit they have a very good, tight, punchy bass. As far as bang for the buck, the NS-300's blew all the others out of the water (in my opinion). The NS-6HX are another story - I'm sure that they could not have realistically sold them for the MRPP - but I got them for about 25% of that. My classic NS-1000M's were not really that expensive when I bought them (but I can't remember what I paid, and EVERYTHING was dirt cheap back then).

I think maybe Yamaha would profit from a more agressive marketing strategy.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
In terms of drivers/size per dollar...the Polk M70s are unbeatable right now!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoa, the Yamy owners are in the house! Good to see you REPRESENT. But the Polk contingent made a good showing.

Well, to add to my quandry, I discovered that I CAN get a Yamaha center and sub from my catalog. The sub is their 10" powered model. I can get the CS210 center. Here are the specs;

Type 2-Way Bass Reflex

Woofers Dual 3 1/8" Cone

Tweeter 7/8" Balanced Dome

Frequency Response 65 Hz - 45 kHz

Sensitivity 86 dB/2.83 V/1 m

Input Power (Maximum / Nominal) 120W / 40W

Crossover Frequencies 8kHz

Impedance 6 ohms

Dimensions (W x H x D) 13 3/8" x 4 1/8" x 5 3/16"

Weight 4.4 lbs.

BUT, here is the spoiler; everything is 6 ohm. My Sony receiver is rated for 8 ohm. With a full 6 ohm package, will I overheat my gear?

And I have auditioned the polks, and they are mighty fine speakers. There would be no shame in pluggin those babies in. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well Bill, I'm not much of ann expert on this but I will see if my experience is useful. I have a Piioneer VSX-1020 driving the NS-6HX (6 ohms) and the center Soavo 900C (also 6 ohms) but also the 8 ohm rears (4 X rear speakers, ceiliing mounted). I have never noted the amp heating up even though the amp is faiirly modest and for a rowdy movie its sometimes turned up failrly loud. I think modern amps can deal handily with 6 ohms speakers (and even my odd mixture of 6 + 8 ohms). They probably liist their outputs at 8 ohms so that everyone can compare apples to apples.

By the way, you have a bunch of good options at interesting prices available to you. You know by now that I'm a Yamaha fan. But the ultimate test is to go and liisten to theem all and choose what pleases you best.

P.S. I don't have fat fingeers, all these double letters are this absolutely horrendous Dell XPS keyboard - I just hate it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.