AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm inviting you guys to beta test what I have been working on day and night for the past month, infinityOS. It is a general purpose media center operating system based on a highly customized and striped down version of Ubuntu Server Karmic. It is capable of hardware H.264 decoding, automated BitTorent downloading, and HD video playback. It is designed to be used on a computer connected to a TV, though it can be used on any computer (I even got it to boot and fully work on my Macbook).

I consider it the successor to BeOS in spirit and functionally. It is fast and nimble, taking up only 150 MB of RAM on a cold boot (an order of magnitude lower than either Windows or Mac OS X) while remaining a fully functional (and pretty) OS. I have also designed it to follow the Unix philosophy as closely as possible while remaining as intuitive to use as the iPhone.

Since I was able to package the infinityOS on to an installable live CD, I am now opening up the private beta testing to a larger audience. I feel that I will be able to publicly release it by the end of next week. As this is not a public release, I must ask that you *not* redistribute it to anyone and to try to be subtle about the core functionality when mentioning it to others.

I hope to use this as an Honour's project for my degree in Computer Science and greatly appreciate any feedback you may wish to give.

---------------

Once its installed, please change the folder that Deluge, the Bitorrent client, and the "Add Video Feed" script both download to something outside your installation partition (or create a separate /home partition in the installation). Otherwise when you update to a newer version of infinityOS, all your downloads will be wiped.

Keep in mind as well that the "Add Video Feed" script is extremely anal about indenting and remember to never use tabs when editing it. Also if a show's name start with a number, put it in quotations (ie. "24 Dennistoun"). I recommend that you manually run the aggregator using the command "sudo -H -u deluge flexget" every time you update the script to ensure that it works.

Note: The password to everything is "hitchhiker" without the quotes. I recommend you change this as well as I have SSH enabled by default (with DenyHosts enabled as a safety measure).

---------------

I do not have a full website set up yet as I am not finished the branding. However I do have both a Launchpad and a Sourceforge project set up.

Feel free to download it from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/infinity-os/

Please post any bugs you find, any questions you have, and any suggestions you would like to make to:

https://launchpad.net/infinityos

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
********** is Bitorrent. I guess these forums block that word.

For what reason I ask? I have no idea why, as there is nothing inherently illegal about Bittorent. It is simply the most efficient way of transferring large files over the Internet. It is merely a protocol like FTP. How is a protocol illegal?

On that note, in no way am I encouraging you to use this software in a non-kosher way or providing you direct links to sources that would allow use in that way. There are perfectly legal podcasts that use torrents just as it's an extremely efficient way to transfer large files. Miro, for example, provides many such "netcasts". Only I have integrated its functionality into the OS itself.

In fact, I believe that automatic Bitorenting is the future of Internet TV. Imagine a world where instead of struggling with a TV tuner and a "media center" interface, new TV shows download to your hard drive as soon as they are released, able to be played on demand, no program guide needed. Each TV show has its own folder, your file manager is the program guide. That is the world that infinityOS is designed to usher in.

The media center UI is one and the same as the desktop UI. The interface is designed to scale and tolerate overscanning (as Xfce supports limiting the display of windows to within a border, so no windows will be cut off).

Instead of a remote with 50 confusing buttons, you use a cheap wireless mouse with 3 buttons on your lap. Left click is play/pause, middle click is activate DVD menus, right-click is show menu, and the scroll wheel is volume.

This is the future, and I'm inviting you to join in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's screenshot of the desktop. I'm using Xfce as the window manager and SMPlayer as the video player.

I should mention too that it includes Samba set-up by default to share your home folder (read-only, I recommend using SFTP to upload stuff so the server can't spread viruses). Deluge is integrated into the OS itself as a daemon running in an unpriviledged user. The Deluge WebUI is set-up by default as well (Port 8080).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To enable Nvidia 3D acceleration in infinityOS, first update your package list by entering the following into the terminal:

------------

sudo aptitude update

------------

Restart your computer. Once you're at the desktop, install the drivers by typing in the following command into the terminal:

--------------

sudo jockey-gtk

--------------

After you've restarted, type the following into the terminal:

--------------

sudo nvidia-settings

--------------

Enable every option refering to V-Blank or V-Sync. I also recommend overriding the default antialiasing to 4x. This applies to both kinds.

Close the Nvidia settings.

Type the following into the terminal to commit your settings into the xorg.conf file:

-------------

sudo nvidia-xconfig

-------------

Restart your computer. Your graphics card is now set up to be pretty .

Regards,

Ryan Oram

PS If you have a Intel graphics card, 3D acceleration should be enabled by default (though I still recommend running "driconf" to enable V-Sync). ATI cards are officially unsupported as their Linux drivers are sub-par (though I'm not going to stop you from installing the drivers on your own. I just can not help you.).

A Geforce 8400 or greater (sorry Nvidia only) is needed for the hardware H.264 acceleration in infinityOS. To enable it, first enable the 3D acceleration using the instructions above.

Then in SMPlayer, change the video output method to "vdpau". Play a video (any video) to see if it works.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Did I miss where you say whether this is a 32 bit or a 64 bit OS?

Looks interesting. I'm getting really annoyed with the direction that the Gnome and KDE projects are taking their desktops, so I've been considering switching to XFCE. So I might give this a whirl when I have some time.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphoenix22 /forum/post/18309069

********** is Bitorrent. I guess these forums block that word.

For what reason I ask? I have no idea why, as there is nothing inherently illegal about Bittorent. It is simply the most efficient way of transferring large files over the Internet. It is merely a protocol like FTP. How is a protocol illegal?

Thanks, Ryan, and I agree.

This looks like an interesting concept, and I'll take it out for a spin when I have a chance to get to it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife /forum/post/18310572

Did I miss where you say whether this is a 32 bit or a 64 bit OS?

It's a 32-bit OS, but it uses the PAE kernel so it can handle more than 4GB of RAM. The NX bit is also enabled.

I may release a 64-bit version down the line, but I find that 64-bit OSes take up alot more memory due to having to load the 32-bit libraries for some programs. Also, some programs I included are 32-bit only.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have made infinityOS 1.0pre2 available on Sourceforge as of this moment. This release has a variety of bug fixes and UI improvements, and heavily reflects what the final infinityOS 1.0 will be. In fact, I anticipate that the only difference between 1.0pre2 and 1.0 will be a new boot screen and proper multi-user support, both for which packages will be made available.

Grab it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/infinity-os/ !

--------------------------------------------

With this release, I would also like to announce infinityOS' planned development model.

Simply, I intend for infinityOS to be an operating system developed by its users, for its users. You will have a voice in every step of its development, from planning features to fixing bugs to helping solve each others problems.

I have setup a project at Launchpad, a website that integrates bug fixing, feature planning, commiting code, and answering questions into a simple easy to use UI. All you need to do to participate in infinityOS' development is sign up for an account.

Just go to https://launchpad.net/infinityos to get started.

--------------------------------------------

The official IDE will be MonoDevelop, an open source IDE for Windows, Linux and Mac. We will be using Gtk# and C# (chosen as this is the language my university teaches) to develop applications. These tools will also allow your apps to be used back on Windows and Mac if you wish, as the libraries are fully cross-platform.

To get started, type in the following into the terminal:

--------

sudo aptitude install monodevelop

-------

This will install everything you will need to develop apps for infinityOS. It will also be at most a ~250 MB download.

-------------------------------------------

Good Luck!

Sincrerely,

Ryan Oram

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks Ryan for your OS

does it support out of the box the new gt2xx (210/220/240) nvidia cards ?

i mean the hdmi audio out, afaik a special version of alsa is needed

on xbmc there is some tweak about it

i will test the live cd on my setup (ga 7aum-ds2h + gt240 + e8400)

BHH

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has the ALSA 1.0.22 drivers, so I believe if it is supported that release, it should be supported in infinityOS.

Additionally, SMPlayer supports AC3/DTS passthrough. The option can be reached by going to (in SMPlayer) Options -> Preferences -> General -> Audio. You may have to select your HDMI-Out in the Xfce mixer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i just burned and tested the distro

i tried with 2 cd (tdk) but both give error on isolinux at boot

for sure i have dove a correct burn (dao at 8x)... i wll try to redownload it

on your side the uploaded/downloaded image is ok ?

BHH

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll double-check. It installed just fine in VMware Fusion.

Here's the MD5SUM:

bc29f38d24198ac2dd78389c901dc9d9

I'll check the copy on the server right now.

BTW Thanks alot for telling me

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grr, ya it failed when I was uploading it overnight. I'm going to request that Sourceforge change back their listed filesizes to GiB, as the uploaded GB and GiB were about the same, causing me not to notice.

I'm uploading infinityOS 1.0pre3 now (which is just 1.0pre2 renamed). It's going to take a bit to transfer though (~5 hours).

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused,

Ryan

·
Registered
165 Posts
278mb ? isn't a little small ?

i will test on my virtualbox before burning...

thanks

BHH

·
Registered
165 Posts
ok, failed

the iso image don't start on my vbox

wainting for a new upload

BHH

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, infinity1.0pre3 is finally up. I redownloaded it, ran a check and booted the live CD and it worked fine. I'm going to add this to my testing procedures so this doesn't happen again.

For some reason Sourceforge is displaying the wrong file size on their site. Ensure that the file you are actually downloading is 667.4 MiB.

Additionally, when you boot off the CD for the first time, type in "check" at the boot prompt, this will check your disc for errors.

Grab it from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/inf...4.iso/download

-----------------------------

I've also decided to reveal another feature of my distro that I've been keeping under wraps, it's new release system.

I call it the "semi-rolling release system".

What this entails is that infinityOS will automatically notify you when any application you have installed on infinityOS (anything from Firefox, to Deluge, to Pidgin, to SMPlayer) has been updated by its developers.*From that point its a matter of three clicks to make every application installed on infinityOS up-to-date. No more going to websites to download the latest version to fix bugs or get new features. infinityOS does it all for you.

In this process, however, the core operating system (meaning the*kernel, the desktop*environment, and the core drivers) will only have one major update every six months, apart from security updates. This release system allows for your computer to be completely stable and error-free while the things you actually use are kept completely up-to-date.

My goal is to push package maintaining and testing for end-user applications back to the developers themselves. When they make a new release on their PPA and notify me, I will push it to either my "testing" or "unstable" repositories, depending on the results of my testing and the packages it depends on. After a period of time the package will be then moved to "stable".

I intend to support each major version of infinityOS for a year with new packages.

Sincerely,

Ryan

·
Registered
165 Posts
start downloading...

i will check later the live cd

about repositories.. are you sure of what work you will aspect ?

... owning a repository isn't difficult, but maintain it updated and secure to use could be a very big demanding task.

why simply don't use official ubuntu repos and some controlled ppa ?

BHH

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
About an hour a week. I really just go around and check the developer PPAs and see if they have new releases.

I'm using Ubuntu and the Ubuntu repos as my core OS and packages. I then have my repos (stable, testing, unstable) with updated packages and additional packages (Handbrake, for example).

·
Registered
165 Posts
just tested the live cd on my system

result:

boot ok, screen black

only forcing vesa have worked (and got the desktop)

i am not a linux expert (and don't have too much free time) but if i could help in debug..

what about adding xbmc to default live/installable cd ?

BHH

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try installing the Nvidia drivers using the instructions above. They aren't enabled by default due to technical reasons. (For these same technical reasons, they are not available on the live CD)

I have thought about adding XBMC, but it requires too many dependences that affect core libraries. (I have bug tested and checked every package that I have included and evaluated whether or not it was necessary to have.) You may add the PPA at https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ppa yourself, however. I just can not officially support it as I don't have the time to test it.

I have to add that infinityOS is 100% binary compatible with Ubuntu so any packages made for Karmic should work on it (I honestly have never seen a package that didn't work).

----------------------

I also have the very latest VPDAU Nvidia drivers in my "unstable" repo (Slightly older versions of the VDPAU Nvidia drivers are in the "stable" repo). Feel free to add this repo to your sources, but I must warn you that other software in that repo is pretty buggy.

----------------------

I have renamed infinityOS 1.0pre3 to infinityOS 1.0pre4 to fix the Sourceforge filesize.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts