AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the beginning stage of research for as IB sub for a friend. He want the bass but has WAF issues.

I found the cult, are there other places I can get information?

I have Zero DIY speaker experience. The woodwork and install are the easy part for me.

One thing that concerns me is that the room is open to the entire first floor so there is a lot of cubic feet to contend with.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15505706

I found the cult, are there other places I can get information?

For all intends and purposes people at the Cult are responsible for the creation of the modern IB sub. Other forums pretending to have a IB sub section are just a bunch of posers who've plagiarized work done by the Cult.

BTW, since you're registered at the Cult you could post your questions there....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just do some serious reading over at the cult. Before you ask any questions, just read a few of the build threads from start to finish. You'll learn more than you thought you could.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Plus Thomas is always handy and kind enough to answer just about anything.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I have built four IB subs now. It is much less complicated than a boxed sub. The Cult is the source for information. Be aware, that just as you will find here there are cultists and there are CULTISTS. I find that a modest IB is fine for most people. My first started with some el cheapo 15 inch drivers from an Audiosource sub. Those drivers and the accompanying amplifiers now live in a box in the attic of my son's home. He loves the IB and it is not even smoothed out with an equalizer other than what is in the Yamaha YPAO system.

For my use I have four Mach Audio IXL 18s in the main theater and a pair of Cerwin Vega 15 inch car subs for a bedroom theater. The IB arrangement makes all of those systems rather easy to build and "tune".

You can probably do more with a room effects calculator for any sub includiing IB than with all the esoteric design software and tweakadoodles in builds. Placement of the sub will have a great affect on what you hear at the listening position, more than almost anything else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts