AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had these speakers for about five years now and was roaming around Best buy and was able to audition B&W CM9. This saturday, I was able to audition B&W 802 D with Theta mono amps and meridian preamp and B&W 802 Nautilus with Theta amps as well and conrad johnson preamp. I am not really that much of an audiophile although I now have a big itch to upgrade my listening system (Infinity Primus 360 and PS8 Sub) with Harman Kardon 3485 and wish to upgrade to a reasonable audiophile set up. I will not say my system sounds bad because I have loved this for quite some time but after listening to the 802's Diamond and Nautilus, I now have an itch I can't hardly scratch. Those giant speakers are too big for my listening area 12 x 12, and the price seems to be too steep for me. I don't have a specific budget but looking for something just as big as the infinity primus 360's. I haven't auditioned any speaker this size besides the b&w cm9's. Please suggest other speakers within the price range of the b&w cm9 $3000 for the pair up to $5000 for a pair. I guess I want to get away from using a sub since I noticed myself turning down the PS8 sub that I have paired with my 360's lately or sometimes end up turning it off. Am I beginning to listen to music the right way? I'm also beginning to listen to a lot more classical music, instrumentals, enoch light orchestra cd's, etc. although listen to all types of music particularly classic rock and soft rock. I haven't auditioned but am researching, reading reviews about B&W 803 D and 804 D. Also am reading about Paradigm S8's. I would love to get something that if I spend my money on, I know I can hear a big difference that I will be able to tell myself, It's worth spending my money on these new speakers compared to what I presently have. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
please do make suggestions, specially those who have owned Infinity Primus 360 or 362 before and made an upgrade and were totally wowed by their new system, so at least I would have a good idea of what speakers to audition. Xmas is just around the corner and I'd soon be 40 and it will be a double gift to myself and as much as I love the sound of my Infinity 360 for music, I would want to get another pair as I have a dedicated home theater room with Infinity primus set up as well with 360's as fronts. It will be mainly as a two channel stereo listening. I'll pretend I'm a true audiophile and will do away with a subwoofer so I'd want a full range floorstanding speakers that will be good for music listening and of course, something that I would be able to keep for a good number of years. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
At that price range you really need to grab a handful of your favorite CDs and head out to listen. No one will hear the same way your ears do so anything we suggest is not going to help you. Hit up yellow pages and find the dealers close to you. Hopefully you live in a fairly populated area and have a bunch of options.

Even if we suggest certain brands they may not be available in your area. I would personally listen to everything in that price range. Take notes so you can remember the what you liked and disliked. Good luck!

Edit: I had Infinity speakers for years before I upgraded two years ago. I consider Infinity to be a fairly neutral sounding speaker and I ended up going with something that is considered warm. Not what I thought I wanted when I began but couldn't be happier with my newer speakers. If you like what you have you shouldn't be in a hurry. Take you time and you will find something that will make you very happy.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/19531674

At that price range you really need to grab a handful of your favorite CDs and head out to listen. No one will hear the same way your ears do so anything we suggest is not going to help you. Hit up yellow pages and find the dealers close to you. Hopefully you live in a fairly populated area and have a bunch of options.

Even if we suggest certain brands they may not be available in your area. I would personally listen to everything in that price range. Take notes so you can remember the what you liked and disliked. Good luck!

Edit: I had Infinity speakers for years before I upgraded two years ago. I consider Infinity to be a fairly neutral sounding speaker and I ended up going with something that is considered warm. Not what I thought I wanted when I began but couldn't be happier with my newer speakers. If you like what you have you shouldn't be in a hurry. Take you time and you will find something that will make you very happy.

Thanks for the response. And that's really why I ask for suggestions so I can go and listen to them. I am from the safest place to be in TX when there is a tornado-- Arlington, TX as you rarely see a touchdown here (Dallas Cowboys joke). Anyways, I have auditioned a number of speakers in best buy and fry's and there is an authorized paradigm dealer around here and psb dealer. I would be looking for b&w 803 d to audition as I really love the sound of the 802 D and 802 Nautilus but it is just too big and too pricy. I'd take your advice to not hurry and audition as many as possible but would love to know what speakers to be looking for and trying out. Like I said, I'd hit 40 in 2011 and hopefully I would be able to get it before I reach that pivotal age in the next six months. If I may ask you, what did you replace your speakers with?

·
Registered
19,824 Posts
I have owned Primus speakers before - not your towers. However, I would

reccomend that you audition the Boston VS 336 towers. The resolution in

the VS series is an ear opener - I have their bookshelves. At least try to

audition them - They are very musical, and real good for home theater.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts