Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Does anybody have any info, specs, links or first hand experience about the Fujitsu 61" ?

Specifically re: availibility ? MSRP ? fan noise ? DVI (same problems as with 50" ?)

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Welcome Mark- (belated welcome I guess - Sept?)

Forum member Cineramax is currently still waiting delivery on the 61". So he will more than likely be the first one to give an accounting.

Bruce

·
Super Moderator
21,600 Posts
Harvey Electronics has one on display in New Jersey- $24,995.00

saw HD- Net on it- PQ looked excellent

it has a silver frame and looks very good-very sleek

I heard the fans running - did not seem too noisy but could not tell in the showroom environment

in a related thread, Ericbee pointed out the 61 had the same pixel count as the 50

Mark

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mark,

I walked through a Good Guys the other day (picking up a cheap DVDP for a friend) and couldn't believe they had Fujitsu panels on display. I asked a couple questions, mentioned the 61, and the rep pointed towards the back of the store. I didn't wander back there (saw it at CES)--but my impression was that they had it on display.

I.E., you might try calling around or stopping in at some of your local GG's if you'd like to see the set.

Don't know that I'd rely on the sales guys there for info (particularly the Fuji vs. other models), though there are always exceptions.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Looks like our first one will be shipped this Wednesday/Thursday. Fujitsu uses G.O.D. for shipping.

God is the most amazing Road shipping company. They must drive 9 miles over the speed limit at all times without stoping for coffee. Twice they have shipped from N.J on Wednesdays and deliverd in Miami on Friday.

It gives any second day air company a run for the money and much more TLC.

I Believe the reason this set will be the "one plasma to own" is the Fujitsu onboard propietary AVM processor, more than a scaler deinterlacer that processes the signal portion of the plasma, this processor works with other equally important elements of the plasma, like the RGB drives, and power regulation.

The Fujitsu has a feature called Multiple Gamma settings. At any of these five Gamma settings you can get very Linear color response.

Although the gamma settings act as different combinations of brightness and contrast (in preset form) they do not whack out pictures such as when you fiddle with the contrast & brightness on a calibrated setting.

When coupled with the Zenith DTV tuner you can get excellent hdtv, but in non HD channels a combination of these gamma settings in conjunction with a sharpness boost will yield the finest DSS images anywhere. In worst case you may have to reduce the aspect ratio of the zenith to watch really poopoo signals, but with a little tweaking even these look surprisingly pleasant.

This is based on my 3 month experience with the 5002.

It is possible to watch the worst compressed DSS SD signal at six feet from the 5002 without noticing pixelisation or artifacts. The fujitsu AVM leaves enough headroom to provide High contrast ratio images out on the sidewalk.

I am fully confident that this excess headroom of AVM is best utilised in the larger panels. That is why no other 61" panel will cut it. The gamma part of the AVM.

At 8-9 feet the 61" inch Fujitsu will show a beautifull dynamic picture, without evident pixelisation.

This set may be the one to put projection systems "On Notice"

·
Registered
393 Posts
Cineramax,

Sounds like you have done some research on this size panel. I take it that you believe that the Fujitsu 61" is better than zenith and the NEC models at that same relative size? Do you believe that it is far an away the clear winner at that size panel? Just curious. I would eventually like to get one at this size.

Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
33,773 Posts
I saw the new 61" Fujitsu at Harveys on Long Island. They had a DVD playing and although I didn't check the picture settings, my impression was that the black levels were not in the same league with the 50" Fujitsu which had on HDNet right next to it. The black levels on the 61" looked more like last generation's 50" black levels. It could have been the settings, but I'm not sure.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
We are banking on it.

Our store will be devoted to this screen only and to optimising this screen for all sources. If it takes giving away an rs232 controller with each sale!

It took 2-3 months of playing with the 5002 just to get it looking as good as now on regular DSS.

In order to be a good dealer , one needs to breathe, eat, and dream it's Flagship product.

And when we say the product we don't mean just the 61", but the zenith dtv 1080, and the revox dvd/receiver. That closed system "is" our product. Any decision anyone makes based our findings, are at their own risk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANOTHER REASON TO SELL OFF OUR 5002's WHEN THE 6101 ARRIVES...:)

Ken is probably correct when he says:

"They had a DVD playing and although I didn't check the picture settings, my impression was that the black levels were not in the same league with the 50" Fujitsu which had on HDNet right next to it."

The 5002 has black level overkill capacity. The 6101 will never have the same black level. But with proper tweaking (of Gamma) I am sure to be able to get

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CINERAMAX
Hi Aviator ,

Yes it is the same . The pixel size is bigger . Closer to that of the edtv 42", i have heard.

At eight feet is fine.
At the same resolution with a larger pixel size, I'm sure it will be fine at whatever distance makes it look the same size as the 50". Personally, I will stick with the 50".

·
Registered
271 Posts
Made me laugh aviators99, you're onto something but the math may be a little different. If the gaps between pixels on the 61 are different width than on the 50, that is the determinant - it's the gaps, the structure, that needs to be made invisible. We're permitted to view the pixels themselves at any distance ! ;)

cineramax - will be interesting to see how well you get gray scale to track at different gamma settings. I just did an ISF cal on the Pioneer 503cmx and the tracking was extremely dependent on the exact black level and contrast settings. Hopefully the Fujitsu won't be as sensitive, as I doubt you'll have separate white balance settings for each gamma position.

also - is Zenith stb still current from Zenith? I'm hearing otherwise.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Den

Made me laugh aviators99, you're onto something but the math may be a little different. If the gaps between pixels on the 61 are different width than on the 50, that is the determinant - it's the gaps, the structure, that needs to be made invisible. We're permitted to view the pixels themselves at any distance ! ;)

I see your winky emoticon, but I'm not sure if you're joking or not. If not, is there science behind this, or are you making it up?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Winky on the last sentence only - the rest dead serious!

The parameter is called "fill factor". If the pixels (the area actually producing light) on the 61" were the same size as those on the 50, you have a poor fill factor and a screen door effect. Your trick of backing up to the distance that makes he 61 look the same size as the 50 would probably solve it. But, if the pixels are at the same fill factor on the two displays, you should be able to sit the same distance from 61 and enjoy a larger image without visible structure. Probably the 61 has a fill factor close to but not quite equalling that of the 50, amounting to a useable gain in size something a bit shy of 11 inches diagonal.

You may have to back up more to tolerate a low-resolution video signal, but that is a data problem, one that comes and goes with the content you watch. One nice thing about the fixed pixel displays is, you don't have to vary viewing distance based on scan rate as with CRT, since you are always viewing the panel's native rate.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Hi Dennis .

you say :

"cineramax - will be interesting to see how well you get gray scale to track at different gamma settings. I just did an ISF cal on the Pioneer 503cmx and the tracking was extremely dependent on the exact black level and contrast settings. Hopefully the Fujitsu won't be as sensitive, as I doubt you'll have separate white balance settings for each gamma position."

The Pioneer does not have "Fuzzy Logic servo controlled" gamma settings.

Based on recent setting changes of the zenith from 720p to 1080i, I assure you that the Zenith stb/5002 combo is Fuzzy Logic at it's best!

The AVM gives you a higher degree of linearity. By taking into the equation "conditional data lookup tables" (that have been subjectively tweaked at the factory by one sharp calibrator), RGB drive voltages, and their relation to power supply throughput, are coldly calculated in order to maintain pleasantly even grey scale, when such compensation is in order.

This picture fixin' ain't for Joe Kane, but for the average executive who just dropped 40G's on a system.

Of course the remote control will give the owner THE PERFECTLY CALIBRATED SETTING. But in an imperfect world, rather than seeing low bitstream noise on Direct tV's worst channels, you instead opt to bloom slightly. To burry the noise, add solidity to images, and create a surprisingly Naturally looking picture with a white balance that may not be d6500 , but that is eerily flat and natural.

That is the biggest misconception about AVM , it being just a scaler.

AVM is also a Linearity Gofer, to save the day as you watch Direct TV's more compressed channels, or when you want all the lights on.

You can buy a Nec 61 and a Teranex, and it still wont have gamma settings.

In a totally dark room the Nec 61 with the teranex, calibrated, will look the best, but that is on HDNET and a superbit 5th element. Open the blinds to let the room have a view, and it will look drab.

You cannot have a regular Calibrated Plasma readjusted for High ambient light on demand, while maintaining reasonable linearity.

That is because the Gamma setting presets on the Fujitsu AVM act as servo control to maximise linearity. Presets to make the plasma look good (not d6500 flat, but pleasantly close enough) on high ambient light , or to sligtly bloom in order to mask noise on really lousy channels like Fox movie channel (which sometimes look like 6 bit color depth).

At Gamma4 and the even Flatter Static setting you will achieve the least deviation from D6500 += 200. But when the sun shines in through an all glass window, you cant tell the difference between d 6500 or d 7300.

The Punch difference made by gamma settings on a bright lit room is not going to be nearly as dramatic on the 61 versus the 5002. Contrast ratio on the 5002 is rated at a ususally not utilised 3000 but 700 on the 61. Maybe some light control will be needed.

http://www.xtremedtv.com/images/ambient%20002.jpg

I ordered the miniblinds already. :)

If memory serves me right, fill factor is NOT much of an ISSUE on the nec 61 glass.

Anyone that saw the punchy Marantz 61 at Cedia from 9 feet away with HDNET will confirm that. Not too far away from the Marantz the 61 NEC at ELECTROGRAPH looked like a grey chalkboard.

Why am I so sure?

If this particular glass looks good on HDNET in the Marantz, then the avm will make the lousiest DSS signal look "NEXT BEST" good. But it must be fed at 1080i and not 720p. Zenith is the KING of 480i to 1080i HDTV upconverters, thats the fact Jack. I found out just 3 weeks ago.

All the avm does to eliminate interlacing artifacts ( the columns of lateral spike-jaggies) is to cut/clip the majority of all parallel horizontal moving spikes near the base of the spike with a column of short vertical lines , thus eliminating the column of moving spikes with a column of very watchable, and very inert (during the 1/60 of sec.) tiny "horisontally reversed L's". I say Bravo!

It's no DCDI, or some fancy Teranex algorithm , but it works at six feet away.

All along during the past 3 months we had be using the 720p output of the zenith , and could not stand regular DIRECTV! Right now I am like a kid that just got handed the best 480i to 1080i scaler (which zenith had been doing since 1993) and coupling it with a great deinterlacer equipped with a utilitary jaggie-clipper, that I had never before seen.

Our clients LOVE IT.

So let the avm do the deinterlacing and the picture punch and presence controls. Quite frankly who gives a damm that it is not D6500 when watching DSS' worst channels . The client is happy and one wont have to purchase the set back from him.

Win Win.

The zenith is being replaced with a new unit that is expected to be better.

http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=...asp%3Fcat%3D42

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.