AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
They seem to be proud of the new "jack pack" with one front and two rear A/V inputs; one front and two rear S-Video inputs; and two rear component inputs.

It's suspicious that there are the same number of A/V inputs as S-Video inputs, located in the same places.

Does anyone know whether the composite video input is shared with the S-Video as on the current model, or have they become true inputs separate from one another?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does anyone know for certain that the 42PA20U and 37PA20U will have ATSC tuners built in? I have seen statements here on the forum and in Sound and Vision magazine suggesting that they will have both NTSC and ATSC tuners, but the press release noted above seems ambiguous. Clearly you will still need a STB for satellite and cable digital reception, but it would be nice to be able to plug an antenna into the new Pannys and get local digital broadcasts without buying another box.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Actually, I find these new "features" of new Pannys (i.e., tuner and speakers) to be almost useless for most V/A enthusiasts. You will need an STB anyway and if you use D* the STB's have integrated both satellite and OTA tuners. And I would never use Pannys speakers because I cannot imagine that they can be even close in sound quality to a decent HT audio components.

Just my $0.02.

Andrzej

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was excited reading the Sound & Vision news that these two ED models (PT-TH37PA20U and PT-TH42PA20U) come with integrated HDTV tuners. But I guess it's too good to be true. However, Panny does seem to off integrated ATSC tuners in their HD models.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How important/useful is the DVI/HDCP, anyway? One, it has to become a standard/law first, right? Two, it is assuming that the way to go with this is to have the TV do the job and not another set-top device. So, what is the general value of this?

Everything else the new models have to offer sound like a disadvantage, not an advantage (tuner, speakers, jack pack, etc.). The only other thing that sounds good is the potential image enhancement they're talking about.

Darn ... I'm like 2 seconds away from ordering and this is now yet more variables to consider. I was going to pull the trigger on a 42" EDTV ... since I'm assuming the HD version is really not going to buy me much in terms of a PQ difference between ED and HD, even in the most ideal conditions --- true?

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You need to read up on DVI HDCP using the Slowest Search option of the Search function here. Also, check the plasma FAQ.

·
Registered
105 Posts
And that would be me, the occasional ntsc tv watcher. DVDs are my main

interest but we do watch some daily tv, news in the morning and the

occasional prime time show.

Lack of built in tuners and speakers has been offputting with plasma. My wife does not want to goof around with anything but an on button to get the tv on. Actually I feel the same way early in the morning. Same for

trying to teach a house guest how to get the tv sound on in an integrated audio and plasma system. These things seem so obvious when you are the one that set up your AV system and are fairly clear to anyone you are showing it to. Then, one wrong hit on the remote and you come home to find no one has been able to watch tv since you have left.

I would not want to pay for HD capacity, an HD tuner or any other bells and whistles given our use of the moniter so I will be taking a hard look at the Panny EDs.

Actually as an experiment I am also going back to running the tv through the audio system. I have a new receiver and learning remote and may be able to get things running so any civilian can watch tv without written instructions. We'll see.

Larry

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Even with a cheap $50 Sony Universal remote I have one button macro that can turn on all required components to watch TV with an HDTV STB and surround-sound receiver audio system.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah but...

I have an aftermarket universal remote. Problem with macros is lack of discrete codes for on off functions. The main problem I have had in the past with civilians is not as much the turn on of the system but what happens if they hit one wrong button and go to tape moniter, some other input, mute and so on. I think with the new universal I will just leave off anything but the bare essentials to stop the accidental button pressing.

LR

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't want the speakers or the tuner. But most people do want the speakers (believe me the market data supports this) and enough people want the tuner (it's fewer, but enough for such a cheap part) that this all makes sense.

For the 20% of people that spend hours in the store trying to figure out how they'll watch TV without the tuner. the rest of us get it.

Oh, and macro-capable universal remotes penetrate

·
Registered
182 Posts
4000:1 contrast rate, as well as 1550 grey levels (vs. 3000:1 and 1024 grey levels on the previous models) are reason enough for me to wait for one of these models...

I'm not sure what to call 1550 grey levels, 11 bit?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I do believe the additional greyscale can possibly improve the shadow-detail issue. If that is mitigated, the picture quality may be off the charts on these.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.