AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info or know where I can get info on the new Sony models? When are the new models coming out? In particlur I am wondering about the successor to the 34HS420 model. Will this new model be better or worse in PQ and in what way?

I am just wondering if I should buy the TV now or wait for the new models to come out since they will probably out soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was told by a small specialty dealer that the Sony tvs I would get through them now are the same numbers such as 32HS420 but an N on the end 34HS420N.

They say the N designates that it does not have a non reflective screen.

I have called tham back and challenged that and told them I have contacted Sony, Crutchfield and asked many other of the chain stores and nobody else has heard anything about the N at the end of the number and they stick by it saying that the rep they have is very anal and maybe he is just mentioning something that nobody else will but the newer models will be without the reflective screen. I have posted a couple of times on forums and have not got a response from anyone concerning this.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
Does anyone have any info or know where I can get info on the new Sony models? When are the new models coming out? In particlur I am wondering about the successor to the 34HS420 model. Will this new model be better or worse in PQ and in what way?

I am just wondering if I should buy the TV now or wait for the new models to come out since they will probably out soon.
I've heard this model will be "carried over" as is for the next year at least.

If there is a new model coming out I would assume an ATSC tuner would be the difference. With the drop dead date having passed for mid-sized HD sets to have an integrated tuner, no one will be putting out new models at this size without one.

Look at SonyStyle, tube tvs. Sony has a new 32" non-hd set that actually has an ATSC tuner because of this law.

·
Registered
277 Posts
there won't be any new sony models this year, the superfine tube, is the upgraded version. Sony is planning of introducing a new xbr model next year, with a upgraded video processing chip drc 2 . Sony felt there were no compelling reason to introduce any new superine models at this time, the demand was not there, they wanted to clear their inventory then introduce a major new model. sony will continue to make news models, limited supply.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julio388
there won't be any new sony models this year, the superfine tube, is the upgraded version. Sony is planning of introducing a new xbr model next year, with a upgraded video processing chip drc 2 . Sony felt there were no compelling reason to introduce any new superine models at this time, the demand was not there, they wanted to clear their inventory then introduce a major new model. sony will continue to make news models, limited supply.
New XBR model :eek: Should I hold out on buying the 955 or 960.. I love the bigger, flatter displays, but too much SDE from 2-3 FT away among other PQ negatives.. I need the bestest CRT HDTV ever :)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
New XBR model :eek: Should I hold out on buying the 955 or 960.. I love the bigger, flatter displays, but too much SDE from 2-3 FT away among other PQ negatives.. I need the bestest CRT HDTV ever :)
Those that tend to wait, tend to wait an awfully long time. And all the time spent waiting could have been spent enjoying the technology all along. It's called "analysis paralysis."

Get what you like now and enjoy! ;)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
Those that tend to wait, tend to wait an awfully long time. And all the time spent waiting could have been spent enjoying the technology all along. It's called "analysis paralysis."

Get what you like now and enjoy! ;)
My friend is like that.. Although I call it being too cheap.. I doubt he would pay a grand for a top of the line 42inch plasma.. He tells me if I wait longer they will be cheaper.. I told him, if your waiting to get a 42inch top grade plasma for under a grand your going to be waiting at least 5 yrs..Dude, tells me why buy now when things get better.. With that mind set, you would never buy anything in regards to electronics..

·
Registered
277 Posts
yeah, my friend was looking in buying a home, co-op, condo, kept complaining i should wait until the price come down, kepped on looking, guest what, he was left behind in the real state market in nyc, prices has risen two to three fold, he regretted,now the price of that apartment he saw months ago has almost nearly double. analysis paralysis, don't let it happen to you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Julio388, where did you read about the upgraded drc 2 chip? Which magazine? I'm guessing this new TV will be more expensive than the XS955 and XBR960?

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julio388
Well, at least Sony is not going to outsource them.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
Well, at least Sony is not going to outsource them.
I realize I risk incurring the full wrath of the forum here, but is there actually hard evidence that the Toshiba sets outsourced to Orion are poorer in quality and/or reliability?

I don't mean "they're bad because outsourcing is bad," or "outsourcing is evil and we shouldn't line their pockets," I mean "are the Orion sets worse than those made in-house by Toshiba?"

Is there hard evidence for this? I am as outraged as the next person regarding the negative social aspects of outsourcing, but I wonder whether or not we do a disservice to posters asking about the outsourced Toshiba sets.

Just curious... :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite

Some months ago Sony announced that all five of their widescreen tubes will be carried over as 2005 models, and that they're debuting three new 4:3 models for 2005 - a 32" and 36" analog set with integrated ATSC tuner, and one 32" HD set with integrated ATSC tuner.

If you read between the lines, the 27"/32"/36" 4:3 HS420 models and the 36XS955 will not be continued. Keeping the 4:3 HS420 line wouldn't serve to FCC mandate that 50% of all mid-size TVs have built-in ATSC tuners. This is why they're introducing the three 4:3 models with the tuners.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
the FCC mandate is only for 36" or 32" in above correct???

so the 27" would not have to be discountinued
No, the FCC mandate requires 50% of all medium-sized sets (25" through 36") be capable of receiving both digital and traditional analog signals after July 1st 2005. By March 2006 this changes to ALL midsize sets must meet this requirement. Having a line of midsize sets without the required tuner works against the manufacturer but they are allowed to sell the remainder of their old inventory even after the deadline passed last July. New models however must comply, thus Sony's lineup change. The 2006 models next year will all have ATSC tuners so you're going to see a lot of popular models go extinct regardless of brand name.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.