AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get OTA reception of digital channels in the Orlando market using the DTC100 with some difficulty. I have tried the following Radio Shack stuff:

15-1108 Antenna-Mounted Signal Amplifier http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1108

15-2153 TV Antenna Model VU-110 XR http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2153

I need both UHF and VHF reception. I am about 30 miles way from the transmitting tower that handles most of the local stations. I have the antenna mounted about 30 ft high but I cannot get higher than my large oak trees. I am located in a low spot which may be contributing to the problem. I am able to get one station (WOFL 22-1) with about 80 signal strength but the signal level jumps around quite a bit and I sometimes lose signal. The other station (WFTV 39-1) I can only get about a 65 level and I lose signal often (sometimes just audio other times video and audio). All of the analog VHF and some of the UHF channels channel are OK, but a few of the anlog UFH channels are weak (snowy picture). I am using a new single piece 75 ft RG-6 cable going from the antenna through the window to the amp power supply for testing to eliminate any potential cable prolems. BTW without the amp I was barely able to receive the UHF channels at all.

My question is does anybody have experience with the above antenna and/or amp? Would going with Channel Master stuff help that much? I am thinking about trying the next size up RS antenna 15-2155 TV Antenna Model VU-160 XR http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2155 .

If anybody has any words of wisdom on how to improve my reception I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well, I have a VU190XR which got me two channels. I put a CM7777 amp on and I get a third plus a registered signal on a forth channel even though I get no picture. I am stepping up to a CM4228 antenna.

Since RS has a good return policy, see if their bigger antenna works. If no, try the CM. It's all trial and error, which means money unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MAX HD:
You can remove the front UHF section by disassembly or cut it off and drill two new holes to re-center it on the mast. GB
Thanks for the response. Could you please explain? Are you talking about removeing the UHF section of the combo antenna? If so, I don't understand the drill and re-center stuff.

Also, how do you connect 2 antennas (a UHF and a VHF) to a combo UFH/VHF amplifier? Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here are the FCC digital television allocations for Orlando. The first number is the current channel, and the next is the assigned DTV channel. The remaining numbers are the authorized transmitting power (in kilowatts) and the antenna height above average terrain:

FL ORLANDO 6 58 1000.0 445.0

FL ORLANDO 9 39 839.9 479.0

FL ORLANDO 24 23 50.0 381.0

FL ORLANDO 27 14 171.3 550.0

FL ORLANDO 35 22 67.5 451.0

FL ORLANDO 65 41 123.1 465.0

Since every one of your local DTV channels is on UHF, I suggest installing a separate UHF antenna. It doesn't have to be really high, either. Try the Channel Master #4221 4-bay screen antenna - it works quite well and handles multipath better than most.

Boost your signal strength with the Channel Master #7775 UHF-only preamp. Run a separate piece of coax from this antenna and the two-piece preamp (one piece mounts on your mast, the other provides power and sits by your TV) to your set-top box or DTV set.

Use the Radio Shack antenna for regular VHF. Note - you'll find the Titan 2 preamp will really help reception of analog UHF channels 24, 27, 35, and 65 as well.

I know this mewans two antennas and extra coax, but the DTV reception will be much improved and I suspect you'll be happier with the end result. Total cost for the preamp and antenna wil be under $100.

The 4248 is a fringe antenna and not necessary where you are. It may even create new problems with multipath. I use the 4-bay screen to watch signals from New York City which are 65 miles away from my house. I got less drop-out with the 4-bay than the 4248.

Have also modified a 4308 suburban yagi to enhance its DTv reception capabilities with the Titan 2 preamp.

KC

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KC,

Thanks for the info. One channel that your are missing on your list is WESH (analog 2 digital 11). This is the local NBC station. It's tower is in Orange City and is probably only 5 miles away. Maybe you missed it because it was listed as a Daytona Beach station. It is the only NBC station in the area.

Is there any way to use only one coax (and amp) with 2 antennas? I don't have an easy way to get another cable to the right place. Also, since I don't have a good local source for Channel Master stuff, is there really alot of difference between the CM and RS antennas and amps?

I am also concerned about my specific location being in a low spot. Another forum member who lives about 4 miles away (somewhat closer to the tower but definitely higher elevation) is getting good reception with a RS UHF/VHF antenna and no amplifier. Thank you very much for the detailed response.

Jay

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi Jay,

Sorry I wasn't more clear-I was pressed for time at lunch.Yes,remove UHF section on combo you have now.This will be cheaper than buying another dedicated VHF antenna.If you leave it connected it will interfere with the other UHF antenna you select.

Just drill two holes farther back on the boom to re-balance it,and it will look better also.

If you go with separate antennas get a CM or WG dual input pre-amp.They have individual coax inputs for each band and one common output for one downlead to STB or TV input.

If you have or get a rotor (a must have IMHO), a sturdy 5ft. mast above the rotor will work fine.

The above recommended CM 4-bay should also work great for this set-up.

Good luck and work safely!!

GB

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost all the local channels are broadcast from the same tower location. Would a rotor still be necessary? I really would like to avoid that hassle if at all possible. Thanks again.

Jay

·
Registered
887 Posts
Jay,

You need a better UHF antenna.I would suggest the RS UHF model(longest one) mounted above the one you have now.You can remove the front UHF section by disassembly or cut it off and drill two new holes to re-center it on the mast.Then,get a CM preamp with separate inputs for VHF/UHF to single coax output.

Also try to separate them on the mast 4-5ft.,if possible.Use a rotor also if you can.

I did this setup for my neighbor a while back and it works great!

GB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.