AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
You need a projector that can reverse the image. And you need a screen designed for rear projection. No real special set up at all, although you want it to be very dark behind the screen, a second room with no windows behind the screen area is ideal.

Pros and cons...I'll leave the more knowledgable to debate.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darth maul:
You need a projector that can reverse the image. And you need a screen designed for rear projection.
Boy, I never thought of that. How do you know which projectors can do this? Will the Sanyo PLV-60 be able to reverse the image? I do not recall ever seeing that asset advertised on any projector.

Christopher

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would think most any modern projector can reverse the image.

And since no one else is steping up to the plate I will try to discuss the pro's and con's as I understand them. With rear projection, you can have slightly higher ambient lighting, sure you don't want light hitting the screen, but at the same time rear projection is more tolerant to it. A minus for RP is space! You chew up 8-12feet of room behind the screen for your throw distance OR you buy a very expensive mirror to shorten your throw distance much like RPTV's are designed. I believe light output will be slightly higher on a RP vs FP. I am not sure why more people don't set up RP screens for their projectors, minus the space needed, its a great way to go.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
size and cost...considerably more exspensive for a rear projected image. Most do not have the extra space. They are some very nice screens for RP as well one is a black screen which would certainly be great for contrast however it is limited in size. You also need to get a projector with a throw to match the space behind the screen. You may wind up having to get mirrors which gets more exspensive.

I do not like reflected light off of a rear projection system. Right now I am watching Power Lunch on my 43" hitachi and I can see windows reflected in the screen. It was much worse with the 53" that I sold. In a way its like having a big mirror in front of you..Now in an all dark room the image would pop right off the wall.

Still flirting with the idea of RP but until I see one I really like I'll stick with the front view.

Regards,

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.