Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to scalers, but am very interested in purchasing one for my 65 inch Mits RPTV.

I have done some reading on Crystal Image's scaler -- seems to be a good price especially when purchasing used. Any thoughts on this particular scaler and RPTVs.

I am assuming it scales to 480P while also cleaning up much of the video (ie getting rid of the jaggies). Am I accurate in assuming this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
As an owner of a Mits 65907, I have tried the CI, the Omega, and decided on the Faroudja NRS with 540p output.

Keep in mind that scalers are all about 'tradeoffs' - there is no perfect scaler, not even the Teranex! I like the Faroudja becase of its superior video deinterlacing with the DCDi chip - nothing can touch it. As for film deinterlacing, some feel the SI chipset is equal to or better than Faroudja. I also like the Faroudja feature set (superior in every way to the CI or Omega), and it's price point when compared to multi-rate processors like the ROCK. Keep in mind that 540p (1080i) is the sweet spot for the RP Mits, so you will not see scan lines like you would with 480p.

One disadvantage I've noticed is that the Faroudja sometimes has a problem scaling fine detail to 540p, since 540p is not a multiple of 480i. Also, the NRS provides a very sharp, detailed picture that often emphasizes grain. You will need to turn off SVM and turn down sharpness levels on the Mits.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The CI is a decent unit overall, but it is not really good for RPTV use. You would be better off considering a line doubler, like the Omega 1, or if your budget allows, the Faroudja like J. Mike has. That is the ultimate for the RPTV use, especially on those pesky NTSC signals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gentleman,

My question is though -- will a line doubler make it 480P as opposed to 480i. Will it also clean up the image (ie Jaggies and the such)?

Thanks so much for the info -- just do not want to put money where I shouldn't while in the pursuit of a fine picture. My budget is around $1000 -- can this be done?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Will it also clean up the image (ie Jaggies and the such)?
For quality source like DVD or LD, yes - any decent scaler will improve the picture (and for DVDs, you can always get a progressive scan DVD player). But, if you are hoping that a scaler can impove a crappy cable or sat feed, you will be surely disappointed - the ROI is basically nil!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow -- I was making the assumption that it would. That stinks, I guess there is just no way of getting around crappy cable then:mad:

For some reason I was thinking this would be the crown jewel for getting rid of crappy cable. Well I think I will try it out first and then look for a used unit.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just realized something about an advantage to having a scaler. If you have all your various inputs (ie cable and dvd player) but it all come out of one output which ends up being one input on the TV. So any tweaks and/or calibrations I make on that TV input will be for all my devices.

Is my logic off on this?

Thanks Everyone! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.