AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have info on this Sony LCD front projector. Price and performance especially picture quality?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The reason US HT enthusiasts bash Cineza is 1) overpriced, 2) mediocre performance (SVGA, LCD, 700 lumens, puny CR), 3) lots of other, better choices for $2K, 4) Sony's crappy dead pixel policy (3-5 minimum before repaired, never replaced, which may take weeks for new panels to come in--loaner is a rare treat if you begged). I know. I had Sony VPL-CX1 (older, XGA LCD PJ).

Maybe Cineza is better received abroad because of less choices of cheaper PJ abroad. I bet Cineza is not well received in Japan either because of more choices. Check out Panny AE100 if you want cheaper PJ. It will beat Sony Cineza in MOST respect (except may be video processing).

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm no expert but i did see the Sony at a local Fry's. Of course it was a terrible set up but i did notice A LOT of screen door on a pretty small screen. The fill factor is verry bad on this pj! I have seen other LCD's, (i do own an AE-100) and had seen screen door this bad only on one other pj. (sharpvision SVGA on a ten foot wide screen). But seeing is beliving so try to find one localy to see for yourself. Did i mention i love my AE?

---neog

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with Huey...

I currently own Cineza as well. I just bought it as an impulsive buy. Now, I have a right to voice my opinion unlike most of the Cineza bashing on this forum !!

Cineza is overpriced at 700 Lum..And, their repair policy sucks.

Right now, I have a temperature problem with it. Cineza thinks the fans are not working, and shuts down in the middle of playing.

I called Sony service center several times, and based on the responses I get from their second level support, they never saw the product or reading back to me from the manual.

I need to pay out my pocket to ship it to them, and I bet they'll say they can't reproduce the problem :)

Check out AE100.. it's getting better reviews..

-phani

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had been considering the Cineza just from some online reviews...Then I came to this forum and said "WHoa". After reading about everyone bashing the cineza I finally found a dealer that demoed it for me and let me tell you, it sucked. The Screen Door was terrible and I didnt even know what screen door was at the time. My wife was saying "look at all the pixels, yuk" Anyway trusting the advice of this forum I went with the AE100 from ********** and I couldnt be happier. For the price, and if your considering the cineza you cant go wrong with the ae100.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This PJ has been bashed ad infinitum. The consensus is don't even demo it. It is not worth your time or your dime.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
The consensus is don't even demo it. It is not worth your time or your dime
I think that about sums it up, although some opinions may differ.

Shawn

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hate to do this but I'm going to have to disagree with HGO on this one. I think you should go demo the unit. You will find out just how bad the picture is unless you go out and spend another $150 on the proprietary interface unit to do VGA and, oh, did I mention the interface cable is another $50. After seeing this unit personally, I felt it was a good projector. Then I saw the Panny AE100 and 75u and said LATER!! If you can get a demo go see it, just don't buy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.