AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to upgrade my HT and I am looking for some input. I'm about to go pick up the Pioneer VSX-1015TX. It's a 7.1 840w receiver with thx select2. I just ordered my HD Tivo for Directv(they are now goning for $299 + $100 Mail in rebate) and I need more componet inputs( My Tosh 65H81 only has 2) and the new receviver will have 3 inputs. How do you think the Klipsch will fit in with my setup. I have Cerwin Vega D-5 floor speakers, that are 3-ways and have a 12" woofer(they are old but still sound great) as front L and R. An Advent Audio Cinema for the center and 3 JBL J2050 for the rears in the 6.1 setup I want to do. It's all in a 26'x22' den. Right now I have a hunk of junk KLH 10" sub. I bought the KLH about 4 years ago when I did'nt know any better and never got around to replacing it. So now I'm ready. The Klipsch has a rear firing port , BASH (?) digital amp that puts out 650w peak and 300w rms and goes down to 24HZ! I want it for both movies and music. I listen to every thing from steely dan to Snoop dogg, So I want to be more then just a bunch booming bass. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
According to the Klipsch website:

MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT:

117dB @30 Hz 1/8 space 1 meter

Is there a way to use that to estimate a 1/2 space, 2 meter number?

I briefly heard a sub-12 at BB - I'll say this much, it seemed to sound better than the KSW-12 they had next to it. But, I couldn't really tell anything in that awful BB environment.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan J. Lee
I'm about to upgrade my HT and I am looking for some input. I'm about to go pick up the Pioneer VSX-1015TX. It's a 7.1 840w receiver with thx select2. I just ordered my HD Tivo for Directv(they are now goning for $299 + $100 Mail in rebate) and I need more componet inputs( My Tosh 65H81 only has 2) and the new receviver will have 3 inputs. How do you think the Klipsch will fit in with my setup. I have Cerwin Vega D-5 floor speakers, that are 3-ways and have a 12" woofer(they are old but still sound great) as front L and R. An Advent Audio Cinema for the center and 3 JBL J2050 for the rears in the 6.1 setup I want to do. It's all in a 26'x22' den. Right now I have a hunk of junk KLH 10" sub. I bought the KLH about 4 years ago when I did'nt know any better and never got around to replacing it. So now I'm ready. The Klipsch has a rear firing port , BASH (?) digital amp that puts out 650w peak and 300w rms and goes down to 24HZ! I want it for both movies and music. I listen to every thing from steely dan to Snoop dogg, So I want to be more then just a bunch booming bass. Thanks for any input.

Bryan,

If you can go take a look at the Klipsch RSW-12 it carry's quite a punch compared to the Sub-12,but is also twice as much money. But for the money the Sub-12 is a great buy, so go take a listen and see what you think.

Check it out. http://www.klipsch.com/product/produ...id=370&s=specs

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you end up with the Klipsch sub? What did you think of it? Anyone else have a review of either the SUB-10 or SUB-12? Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like mine. Not a hint of farting or chuffing, even when I threw in Fight Club. It won't go as low as the PB10 (the current darling of the ~$500 sub market) but I'm happy with the performance for the price. However, I live in a tiny apartment, so it doesn't take much to fill this space, and I haven't been able to really stretch its legs very often.

One thing about using it with the MCACC on the 1015 - to get the channel level within -10 dB, I had to turn the gain pretty low. I'm thinking of running it a few dB hot, as I've seen suggested.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I owned a sub-12 for a short while. Its a very much improved subwoofer over the KSW-12. I don’t think there is much out there for 500 bucks that will match the peak SPL of the sub-12. I would say it matched the output of my PB12-ISD with ease, above 30hz. Its simply vicious for its price. It doesn’t have the depth of HSU or SVS but at the same time its certainly a good performer. It has a xmax of around 20mm thanks to a soild redesigned motor structure. The port on the back really gives you an idea of the air its capable of displacing. I think this port is 4.5 at its smallest diameter and has a huge flare on both ends. The build quality is no where near as SVS per say, and up close you know its a budget subwoofer, but you would never know during a movie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan J. Lee
I have the Klipsch 12" sub for 2 years. It is very powerful, goes down to 26 Hz, and has earth shattering low bass. I love the clean non-muddy bass all Klipsch speakers produce. I was thinking about the Klipsch 15" sub, but I noted it only goes down to 30 Hz and is mega bucks. I wouldn't get rid of the 12" Klipsch. If anything I would buy a 2nd one for the rear sub channel. Then I could really shake the whole house. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.